Local and long time RV dealer shutting down.

slackercruster

That would be quite similar to Newmar selling out to Winnebago and Tiffin selling out to, well  you get the drift. Bottom line, the owners think it is a wise business decision, and their business to do with as they choose.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, slackercruster said:

They have been there for 75 years. They said RV's have exploded in price and they are having a hard time still getting RV's.

Are any local RV dealers closing down in your local?

Do you think this dealer's reason is legit or just an excuse for something else?

There was a small RV dealer not too far from our upstate NY base that closed down last fall. He only dealt with trailers, no motorized RV's. At 70, he wanted to retire and couldn't find a buyer for the business, so he deeply discounted the remaining stock and shut it down. The property is still for sale I believe. I picked up some odds and ends of spare parts during the sale, most at 50% off.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

OTOH, within the past year 2 new RV sales stores have opened about 50 miles from me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

There was a small RV dealer not too far from our upstate NY base that closed down last fall. He only dealt with trailers, no motorized RV's. At 70, he wanted to retire and couldn't find a buyer for the business, so he deeply discounted the remaining stock and shut it down. The property is still for sale I believe. I picked up some odds and ends of spare parts during the sale, most at 50% off.

Same exact thing here. They sold just trailers, sold out at 50% and ended up with auction for remainder.

Sidenote...

Some of these 'trailer only' RV dealers are a pain to deal with. This dealer refused to do work on my truck camper fridge because it was not a trailer, even though the same exact fridge that is in a trailer.