Old Goat's corner. He's at it again

phoenix2013

I enjoyed the video and found it informative - especially the first 8 minutes.  Thanks!

About your felt: My guess is it is for your roofer's safety.  The pitch of left side of your roof looks pretty steep.  Thicker felt provides better traction (one of my brothers used to be a roofer).  Why two layers of #15 felt instead of one layer of #30? I don't know.  Maybe you already had one layer of #15 installed?

=====================================

I too have become one with Simpson on a recent project.  They seem to dominate the market for construction brackets.  And they appear to me to have done it by supplying good quality and a huge range.  Good for them!

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, DanZemke said:

I enjoyed the video and found it informative - especially the first 8 minutes.  Thanks!

About your felt: My guess is it is for your roofer's safety.  The pitch of left side of your roof looks pretty steep.  Thicker felt provides better traction (one of my brothers used to be a roofer).  Why two layers of #15 felt instead of one layer of #30? I don't know.  Maybe you already had one layer of #15 installed?

=====================================

I too have become one with Simpson on a recent project.  They seem to dominate the market for construction brackets.  And they appear to me to have done it by supplying good quality and a huge range.  Good for them!

I did not pose the question properly, it should have said "why did I need two layers on the VERTICAL WALLS"?  The answer, "to prep it for stucco". Indeed the two layers were deemed satisfactory upon the inspection and now they sport a layer of expanded metal lath.

p26uPJll.jpg

It calls for another inspection to make sure the lath is attached properly. And then my wooden shed will sport 7/8 of an inch of cement on it's walls. If this sounds like an insanity, it's a Florida insanity and yes there is a story that goes with that.

We are DEAD IN THE WATER, NOT ANOTHER NAIL. The project was stopped by the Building Department, even though we are at this stage.

AsNkGcFl.jpg

4uNOCkEl.jpg

Lath hung on the building, ready for inspection and then stucco! My communication skills have degraded to a limited vocabulary containing short sentences including short words of the four letters variety.

Bozo inspector happened. This jackass was supposed to inspect for the presence of two layers of tar paper under the stucco. Starts sticking his nose into areas already inspected and approved (by senior inspectors). The plan I paid $800 bucks for calls it a shed, it is a friggin' shed. This ahole calls the department head and "reports" that you guys are all wrong, shed is a free standing building. Anything attached to the house is and ADDITION. So we have to build it as an addition. Reclassify it an addition, meet house building requirements, documentation, more inspections, surveys, etc., etc.

In one word horseshxxxxx!

That is the type problem my cousin ran into when building on a Florida room to his trailer. One inspector gives the OK, another follows and have a different opinion. Makes me wonder if greasing the palm is expected.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

That is the type problem my cousin ran into when building on a Florida room to his trailer. One inspector gives the OK, another follows and have a different opinion. Makes me wonder if greasing the palm is expected.

Being an old retired Cop, I'd attempt a little sting operation, because it is either that or total incompetence!

Edited by mike5511

38 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

Henry,

Sympathy.  Lot's of sympathy.

Question:  Is the shed relying on the house for stability?  If not, can you separate it by a few millimeters, without too much work? 

No, its bolted solid to the house and the slab. There was another "observation" when they were inspecting the raw framing. The architect put in the note "bolted to the house" for the wall pressure treated sills. The house is cement block up ten feet, the roof (attic) section is wood, covered with stucco from top to bottom. I used wood bolts in the upper section (found the top plates and vertical studs through stucco). Used Tapcons concrete screws into the bottom cement block section. Inspector said "not per plan, doesn't say Tapcons", failed the inspection. I asked, "are the Tapcons not allowed"? He said, "Tapcons are fine, he didn't put it on a plan". There was another idiotic minor thing in the plan he didn't like. Back to the architect, he changed the note to "bolted or TC'd", I guess this is the officialdom short for "Tapcon'd". Which also meant resubmitting altered plans and $25 dollars fine for failed inspection, and re-inspection. Yes, it passed.

For free standing shed they require minimum distance from the house, I think 2 or 4 feet. I looked at ready made sheds (Florida State stickered and approved). Close to that size $6-7 grands. Those are beginning to look like a bargain, but they are not so pretty😂.

Edited by phoenix2013

OK, so not-attached won't work.  Next try.

Assuming you can get access to the Building Code, what are the likely shed modifications required to meet Code?  If you can get those done, before the new Building Attachment inspection, I suspect you'll have a good political chance of getting a refund. A nice short letter to the City Manager copying the head of the Building Department.  Pointing out that paying for two full inspections (that were largely redundant) seems excessive.

Even if you can't add the enhancements before the  Attachment inspection,  you may have a good shot.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

The guy that approved the original permit is in my corner, it's an embarrassment to him he want's this thing to GO AWAY. What's missing now is the Form Board permit which would have been needed if it was a REAL HOUSE ADDITION not jut a shed. He said, "get that and we make this thing go away". I said, "I'm on it", the surveyors were here yesterday to generate new plot plan. Another $300 bucks! 

In the meantime, I'm already using the "shop" functions of the super-shed.

85exXlEl.jpg

Doing some service work on an older head. Waiting for parts for the new design and putting it together for evaluation. Window will go in when the stucco work and outside painting is done.

Edited by phoenix2013

Henry.

I just looked at this post yesterday. Very interesting and frustrating.

I am hoping you get through this successfully and with little more bad words.

one thing I see that I believe should be done. But apparently the inspector does not think off it 

Why is the metal strap at the bottom on the sill plate not fastened to the concrete. It goes from the sill plate up the stud.

Just thinking,    Vern

Vern, they are full of ideas, which they keep springing on me. The latest "to cure the failed frame inspections" is  to add one of these on every stud at the bottom.

X4lFO7nl.jpg

I'm the one who actually found these in the Simpson website, putting these on will be this weekend's project. I'm glad he liked these. I guess the alternative would have be to crane the hole building up to put straps under the sill plates to catch the studs. The sills are bolted to anchors I imbedded in the cement.

Fpxy4Grl.jpg

Oh, the other weekend work is to replace the smaller hurricane brackets I Installed with these longer ones that catch the stud at the top to the rafters. Found those in the Simpson catalog also. Happy, happy 😬inspector.

mETXLPrl.jpg

Geesh, by the time you get it past all the inspectors whims, you'll have more time and work, and money, into the shed than I do my brick house.

Then to top it off, those same inspectors will use your ideas for suggestions on the next project they inspect.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We are moving again. The inspection regimen has been satisfied, all it took was $300 bucks.hHEyZiUl.jpg

See that little square they placed on my plot plan (11.6' x 12.3'), it shows that I am two and half feet away from D.U.E. (Drainage and Utility Easement). City's happy. I knew this but they needed assurance from surveying outfit, $300 bucks please.

Lath inspection passed yesterday, stucco guys will be putting stucco on tomorrow.

Today was a monumental day😁! Although I gave up my HDT years ago I was into HEAY DUTY TRUCKING, today! Brought my half ton Ranger to Home Depot to transport the stucco premix. 35 bags at 80 lbs. each, comes up to 2,800 lbs., or close to ton and half.

rHJJA9hl.jpg

The guys loading it asked, "how far you got to go?" "Across the city", I said. "Don't go too fast", they said. The maximum speed turned out to be between 20-30 mph. Sounded like the tires were rubbing on something, probably wheel wells, on a slightest bump. Put the flashers on, pissed off all kinds of Friday drivers, half an hour later I parked the stucco near the shed. 

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Lath inspection passed yesterday, stucco guys will be putting stucco on tomorrow.

Today was a monumental day😁! Although I gave up my HDT years ago I was into HEAY DUTY TRUCKING, today! Brought my half ton Ranger to Home Depot to transport the stucco premix. 35 bags at 80 lbs. each, comes up to 2,800 lbs., or close to ton and half.

rHJJA9hl.jpg

The guys loading it asked, "how far you got to go?" "Across the city", I said. "Don't go too fast", they said. The maximum speed turned out to be between 20-30 mph. Sounded like the tires were rubbing on something, probably wheel wells, on a slightest bump. Put the flashers on, pissed off all kinds of Friday drivers, half an hour later I parked the stucco near the shed. 

Remember what happened to the Caravan? Rental truck or two trips might have been better. Hope there isn't the same squat then you get it unloaded. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

42 minutes ago, lappir said:

Remember what happened to the Caravan? Rental truck or two trips might have been better. Hope there isn't the same squat then you get it unloaded. 

Rod

Carolina squat/California Lean..

Edited by Ray,IN

Sounds like you are in the home stretch - Congrats!

I leaned about automotive squatting a few years ago too.  Albeit, with a less ambitious cargo.  Mine was just wood flooring for a large den.  And my transport was a an old Toyoto Camry.  I too, experienced the sound of rubbing tires and learned to watch the road carefully for bumps.

My squats were not permanent, and hope yours will not be either.

They started this morning, the brown coat is going on.

APBjBWjl.jpg

cV7iA1Sl.jpg

This is poetry in motion, they'll have the brown layer applied in about an hour. Learned way back, don't screw around with tasks that require years of practical experience, in this instance 12 years for the fellow with the trowel. I did the felt and the bottom drip edge, I left the lath hanging, trimming (and passing inspection), plus this to the pros.

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

I'm surprised you didn't have to get a 300 dollar permit as the workers are using the supposed right of way . They might leave something bad for the grass and such . LOL

City takes their D.U.E. seriously. Couple of good reasons. My property is abutting a major storm canal.

pUBBo3xl.jpg

During hurricanes it's a river about 30 feet wide. All the properties are elevated quite a bit since you see where the water level is. City maintains the canals and every month or as needed they send couple massive highway mowers to mow the slopes on either side. It's my responsibility to mow up (or down) to the slope. See the power lines going over the canal. Another very clever innovation and why they need the D.U.E.

aGQr8nUl.jpg

They don't set the poles on either side of the street to feed the houses. they set them damn smack in the very corner where the four lots come to a point. On the canal side I had to give them 10 feet. Here to get to the pole and utilities (power, phone and cable) they took 5 feet from me and five feet from my neighbors, for their 10 feet. I expect to see them shortly to cut the crap out of "MY TREE", they will not ask my permission when they do it.

The boys hung 2,000 lbs. of stucco on my shed/ADDITION and were done by 2 PM. This crap is 7/8ths of an inch thick.

nCbuyxFl.jpg

I'm warming up to this structure, but I'm not relaxed yet, the inspections,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the inspections,,,,,,,,,,,,! Next challenge is the door and the door latch. We need to talk about the door and a "possible latch"

GcbMZrbl.jpg

The challenge, the hurricane barn door with latch that can be operated from both sides. This to prevent one from being locked in, being exposed to Florida environment, going through various stages of decomposition and with time competing with Ramsses III for looks, texture and desiccation.

Edited by phoenix2013

The city paid you well for that five feet , right ? LOL

Years ago , I built a shed that matched the exterior of the house it was behind , including the 'barn' style doors with dual glass knobs . Two doors , each with a knob , of course . One knob being nonfunctional .

Anyway , I wanted a positive latching as I didn't want the doors to belly out where they met . 

I simply recruited a garage door twist mechanism and used solid rods instead of the flat metal . The rods were mounted vertically to use the upper jam and the floor as 'latch plates' .

On the door with no mechanism , I secured a T-astragal without the I . I wasn't too concerned about any seal the I part would afford . 

Hopefully , that^ draws a decent picture of what I did . As far as I know the 'system' is still in use about twenty five years later . 

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

The city paid you well for that five feet , right ? LOL

I'd bet dollars to donuts that easement was part of the subdivision plan when the land was platted for lots.  So, the city made sure what they needed was in place before the first lot was sold.  It's just good planning practice.

As to the tree, any power line r.o.w. has language that there will be no vegetation over a certain height within x' of the centerline of that r.o.w.  Power company has every right to take it out, in order to assure your tree doesn't short out the power for the whole neighborhood. 

Years ago, we had a neighbor who planted spruce trees under the power lines.  Power company warned them they might be an issue.  One day they came home to find the fire dep't putting out a fire caused by their trees arcing to the lines.  All the trees came out the next day.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that easement was part of the subdivision plan when the land was platted for lots.  So, the city made sure what they needed was in place before the first lot was sold.  It's just good planning practice.

As to the tree, any power line r.o.w. has language that there will be no vegetation over a certain height within x' of the centerline of that r.o.w.  Power company has every right to take it out, in order to assure your tree doesn't short out the power for the whole neighborhood. 

Years ago, we had a neighbor who planted spruce trees under the power lines.  Power company warned them they might be an issue.  One day they came home to find the fire dep't putting out a fire caused by their trees arcing to the lines.  All the trees came out the next day.

All points on point. The city is only 60 years old and it started as plotted city of about 180,000 lots. 10 years ago when we moved in there were 40,000 lots "still available" thanks to the 2008 crash that the city took very hard, I bought my house for almost 100K under the market value (then). Since then the population increased by 25K the old lots are being snapped up and they added more lots to over 200,000 (farm land and old orange growths). The city is totally against "slowing down". You own a lot and follow the rules, you build regardless who's bitchin'. Doesn't matter whether it's a single lot, subdivision, commercial lot, multifamily, apartments, factories (big commercial area) . The city calls itself "the City for all ages" not just retirees. Move in, find a job, find an apartment, condo or build a house, enjoy. Typical BS, "I don't like him or them", or "I don't like what he or them are doing", is answered, "he or them own the land and are following the rules, you don't own it, go away". Amazon just built a square mile under the roof regional distribution center, eat your heart out AOC!

Three year ago, a couple lots down on the the same power line I am on, the tree was touching the line and caught on fire, fire department came as did a tree guy. Fire was extinguished the tree went down.