Good Sam Roadside Assistance …might want to take a look at your coverage!

SuiteSuccess

I have had roadside assistance (towing) with Good Sam since 2008 to cover the 5th wheel and since 2009 the Volvo.  I do NOT use the automatic renewal and for the past several years have called a representative to renew.  I specifically have questioned them on the Volvo, size needed of tow truck, and tandem vs. singled coverage which has resurfaced on this forum multiple times.  Jump to today, made my call to renew my Platinum + and when inquiring again about my tow vehicle (tandem Volvo) was told they don’t cover them (HDTs) and HAVEN’T in 3 years.  I asked to speak to a manager (Cory) and asked 1. Why was I not informed they had ceased coverage 3 years ago? 2.  Why was the AGENT not aware and inform me before I renewed those three years? 3.  I had paid over $600 in three years for supposed coverage that had never been used (and apparently wasn’t even available!) and could I be refunded that money? His answers:  1.  They were not REQUIRED to inform me of policy changes…it was my responsibility to keep up with their changes, coverage details and brochures!  2.  Human error…it happens (what?)  3.  I would NOT receive a refund since I had not made a claim that required reimbursement.  Wow!!  

I have to decide for myself how far up the chain to take this, which I will.  I am not recommending any course of action for anyone else other than maybe confirming with Good Sam your coverage plan.  Finally I’m going to call Coachnet and others but any recommendations that unequivocally cover HDTs (tandem) would be appreciated.

OBTW I requested transcript copies of my last three year conversation logs and was told I would have to involve an attorney and subpoena them.

NOTE to self: I will record all future conversations and get follow up written verification of coverage.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a copy of their latest brochure just sent to me by their rep.

https://images.goodsam.com/goodsamroadside.com/mbb/GRA_58263_Rev_5.2020_Platinum_plus.pdf

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,

A quick perusal of that brochure leads me to believe you are indeed covered, both as motorhome and a vehicle specifically modified to "tow a Fifth Wheel".

But this leads to another question:  Did you switch to Progressive insurance through Lazy Days RV in Tampa?  If so, you likely have tow coverage through them, so why bother with Good Sam?

Recently, Good Sam renewed our coverage and charged my credit card, even though I'd checked the box to NOT renew.  A chat is needed.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

After the fiasco we had with Good for nothing Sams roadside assistance this last spring, and having to talk to someone from another country that would not transfer me to a US agent or tell me what country she was in, not allowed to tell me, that was the end of them for me. We switched to Coach net and have had to use them once and was treated like gold.

13 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

After the fiasco we had with Good for nothing Sams roadside assistance this last spring, and having to talk to someone from another country that would not transfer me to a US agent or tell me what country she was in, not allowed to tell me, that was the end of them for me. We switched to Coach net and have had to use them once and was treated like gold.

Larry,

Are you singled or tandem?  The controversy in the past was whether Coach Net would cover tandem.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Carl,

A quick perusal of that brochure leads me to believe you are indeed covered, both as motorhome and a vehicle specifically modified to "tow a Fifth Wheel".

But this leads to another question:  Did you switch to Progressive insurance through Lazy Days RV in Tampa?  If so, you likely have tow coverage through them, so why bother with Good Sam?

Recently, Good Sam renewed our coverage and charged my credit card, even though I'd checked the box to NOT renew.  A chat is needed.....

I agree after reading their “new” brochure.  I have already responded to them with the facts…registered as a Motorhome, non-commercial, no CDL or DOT required.  Clearly states tow vehicles covered.  What aggravates me is I’ve asked them about my specific tow vehicle on renewal to be sure it was still covered and was given inaccurate information.  Also sent them pics.  Let the games begin.

Yes, I did talk to Lazy Days RV as per our previous discussion.  Coverage much more expensive.  I’m still with American General and Miller.

BTW is a semi tractor “specifically designed to tow a fifth wheel trailer”?  Or are semi trailers not considered fifth wheels?  Per Wikipedia they are fifth wheels.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

This is why I don't have tow coverage and warranty coverage. You need a lawyer to read the contract then a lawyer to get money out of the insurance company. Just put some money aside every year for the incase tow bill.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

29 minutes ago, DJohns said:

This is why I don't have tow coverage and warranty coverage. You need a lawyer to read the contract then a lawyer to get money out of the insurance company. Just put some money aside every year for the incase tow bill.

That’s probably what I’m leaning towards. Wonder what owner/operator truckers do?  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

7 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

That’s probably what I’m leaning towards. Wonder what owner/operator truckers do?  

In 12 years of recreational road tractor ownership, we've been towed once, just a month after we bought the first truck.  It was $350.  Tow insurance has been a loser for us.  But then, we hope ALL insurance is a loser.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Side note:  For "automatic" renewals I use PayPal for it's unique feature of limiting the "renewal".
And PayPal will use my regular credit card to make the payment - so no additional PayPal card required.
If one choses to set the payment to non-renewal, PayPal will prevent the renewal charge at the end of the period (usually one year).
My banks don't have that feature.  

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

6 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I've been an owner/operator for thirty years. I don't know of any road service plan for commercial use that is readily available. I just minimize the need for a tow and when it happened - once - I paid out of pocket. Jay

P.S. Actually, I forgot. There was another tow a loooong time ago, I think 1992.

Edited by Jaydrvr

1 hour ago, Jaydrvr said:

I've been an owner/operator for thirty years. I don't know of any road service plan for commercial use that is readily available. I just minimize the need for a tow and when it happened - once - I paid out of pocket. Jay

Thanks Jay. I mainly carried the service not just for towing but services like tires, etc. Don’t think it’s worth it. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks Jay. I mainly carried the service not just for towing but services like tires, etc. Don’t think it’s worth it. 

I don't have that experience, but I'm guessing it's not that valuable for only 15,000 miles a year. For 150,000 miles a year, sure!! Jay

On 1/25/2023 at 8:09 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

As owner operators we take care of ourselves. If I can't fix it on the road with the tools I have I call a mobile mechanic or a hook. I keep a few hundred bucks in my permit book for emergencies such as that. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

8 hours ago, jenandjon said:

As owner operators we take care of ourselves. If I can't fix it on the road with the tools I have I call a mobile mechanic or a hook. I keep a few hundred bucks in my permit book for emergencies such as that. 

Thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Follow up:

Sent pictures of my truck and trailer and information supporting a modified HDT being “designed “ to pull a 5th wheel. In fact an off the lot semi is designed by definition to pull a fifth wheel. As expected have not received a reply. A few more days then up the chain we go. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Go  to rv.net and join, there you'll find a link to communicate with the staff of Marcus Lemonis, who owns Affinity Group/ aka Good Sam. Tell him exactly what has transpired. You may not obtain satisfaction, but everyone on that RVing website will read your statements.

Mr. Lemonis is always saying he wants to know how his organization is running; complaints and  communications are welcome.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Go  to rv.net and join, there you'll find a link to communicate with the staff of Marcus Lemonis, who owns Affinity Group/ aka Good Sam. Tell him exactly what has transpired. You may not obtain satisfaction, but everyone on that RVing website will read your statements.

Mr. Lemonis is always saying he wants to know how his organization is running; complaints and  communications are welcome.

Have already sent an email.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I emailed him like said he wanted us, Good Sam members, to do and got a lady that did absolutely nothing to help the situation that we went thru, but did get me a check for $75 for my inconvenience. The next day I got my renewal notice from them. That was the last I heard from them. The next day I signed with Coach Net and have been totally happy with the service with them. And you talk to a person from Dallas Tx instead of a person who hardly speaks English from a foreign country. 

Edited by Larry Burkett
fix

Hey Suite,

I have had Coachnet for 14 years and have used it 5 times. Never have seen a bill. We are singled.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

To wrap up the thread, I received a call apparently from the same lady Larry spoke to with Mr. Lemonis’ complaint resolution center.  After a spirited conversation concerning my less than satisfactory experiences with their lower and mid level customer service department, I was informed my truck was NOT covered by their service contract based on the fact it was designed to be used as a commercial vehicle DESPITE change of registration to a Motorhome and modifications to pull a fifth wheel travel trailer.  I specifically asked about Motorhomes such as Prevost and other frames which were designed as commercial vehicles for transport companies and they are apparently covered.  She failed to recognize the conflict in logic.  Regardless I admonish anyone with an HDT and paying for a Roadside Assistance Service, you best check with them by phone, read the fine print, most of all have them send you written confirmation of coverage of your vehicle.  I plan on talking to CoachNet just out of curiosity.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

This past summer I exercised the option to have my truck towed.  Since this was part of a major (!) insurance claim, my regular vehicle insurance covered the towing cost.   This proved their coverage on my HDT.

Prior to this, at the time of major confusion, I did contact Coach Net to inquire on getting the truck and possibly the trailer towed.  They were more than willing to help with the tow situation and were also willing to "stand by" while I negotiated with my regular insurance.  The take-away I have is that Coach Net, was willing to provide a tow (undetermined how far or how quickly) at the place and time of my problem.  I can not comment on if this service would be available at all points on the map or on the calendar.  Never the less, this still sounds better than what Sam's is/was offering. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry