Good Sam Roadside Assistance …might want to take a look at your coverage!

SuiteSuccess

11 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

This past summer I exercised the option to have my truck towed.  Since this was part of a major (!) insurance claim, my regular vehicle insurance covered the towing cost.   This proved their coverage on my HDT.

Prior to this, at the time of major confusion, I did contact Coach Net to inquire on getting the truck and possibly the trailer towed.  They were more than willing to help with the tow situation and were also willing to "stand by" while I negotiated with my regular insurance.  The take-away I have is that Coach Net, was willing to provide a tow (undetermined how far or how quickly) at the place and time of my problem.  I can not comment on if this service would be available at all points on the map or on the calendar.  Never the less, this still sounds better than what Sam's is/was offering. 

Thanks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Good Sam renewal is up at the end of the month.  I have had my HDT towed by Good Sam in the past, but it was several years ago.  It sounds like I’ll be making a call to Coach Net to talk to them.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

31 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

My Good Sam renewal is up at the end of the month.  I have had my HDT towed by Good Sam in the past, but it was several years ago.  It sounds like I’ll be making a call to Coach Net to talk to them.

Chad,

If you want to have a little fun I’ll be happy to share the names and numbers of the folks I spoke with if you want to verify.  The spin was enlightening to say the least, especially when I asked if MH like Prevost were covered and pointed out they were originally designed for commercial transport (Greyhound etc.).

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 2/2/2023 at 9:02 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Chad,

If you want to have a little fun I’ll be happy to share the names and numbers of the folks I spoke with if you want to verify.  The spin was enlightening to say the least, especially when I asked if MH like Prevost were covered and pointed out they were originally designed for commercial transport (Greyhound etc.).

Sure.  I plan to make some calls next week.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

9 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Sure.  I plan to make some calls next week.

PM sent.  Let me know what they say to you.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

8 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

PM sent.  Let me know what they say to you.

Thanks, I will.

event.png    

Last november I made several calls to find towing for my rig. Read several threads here over the years about Coachnet and others.

Allstate no longer insures rvs, but I think they still offer the roadside service for the annual fee just over a hunnerd bucks.

Called good sam and immediately was told no. I stress to you, the word "modified" is a huge trigger word. Changed, modified, altered, custom,or any other descriptive word that indicates not factory, is a nogo.

Called Coach-net. Very nice people vs sams, but they needed pictures and brand name of the "coach" that was "professionally installed on the frame". It was indicated that they would not accept any sort of home made coach or diy box that was fastened by the owner in their driveway. When asked for my vin#, I was quick to ad that I would email a copy of the title showing the MH status, and that all rvs start life as major brand chassis, then the rv coach is added over it. Jennifer, said she had to get confirmation that my rig was acceptable. She called my back in less than 30 minutes and said yes, that Summit is a factory body manufacturer, and since I had a fab shop install it, it met the criteria. 😲 So,.......I have paid for my annual Coach-net policy, "they" say I am covered. But,.......I just hope I never have to make them prove it.

IMO, the politicovid debacle and professional homelessness, has forced a lot of changes in all aspects of the rv industry and rv service providers. One used to be able to hold proud the title of "full timer" as it would show one's ability to "travel" full time in retirement. (regardless of age) Today, like so many career choices, that title has gone 180.🤬

I'm a work'n on it.

I called Good Sam today and spoke with a very nice customer service rep.  I asked about the issue with covering a converted HDT for RV use.  He had never heard of any issues with coverage for an HDT, but he didn't know for sure.  He put me on hold and checked with his supervisors.  He came back a short while later and told me my truck would not be covered because it was a converted commercial vehicle.  He said this was news to him and he apologized to me.  He did not know when this change happened, but said it came down from on high.  I thanked him and had him cancel my auto renewal due at the end of the month.  The whole conversation, including the hold time was about 5 minutes.

I called Coach-net and spoke with them about coverage for my rig.  Their only concern had to do with whether my rig was singled or tandem.  They were fine with singled, but didn't want to cover it if it was tandem.  I believe this had to do with the fact that my policy is a towable premium policy and not a motorized RV policy, but I didn't get into that because my rig is singled and it didn't matter to me.  They had no concerns with it being a converted commercial truck.  Coach-net was about $30 more per year, but I am fine with that.  I am now a Coach-net customer.

Incidentally both CSR's were American based and quite pleasant to deal with.

event.png    

8 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

I called Good Sam today and spoke with a very nice customer service rep.  I asked about the issue with covering a converted HDT for RV use.  He had never heard of any issues with coverage for an HDT, but he didn't know for sure.  He put me on hold and checked with his supervisors.  He came back a short while later and told me my truck would not be covered because it was a converted commercial vehicle.  He said this was news to him and he apologized to me.  He did not know when this change happened, but said it came down from on high.  I thanked him and had him cancel my auto renewal due at the end of the month.  The whole conversation, including the hold time was about 5 minutes.

I called Coach-net and spoke with them about coverage for my rig.  Their only concern had to do with whether my rig was singled or tandem.  They were fine with singled, but didn't want to cover it if it was tandem.  I believe this had to do with the fact that my policy is a towable premium policy and not a motorized RV policy, but I didn't get into that because my rig is singled and it didn't matter to me.  They had no concerns with it being a converted commercial truck.  Coach-net was about $30 more per year, but I am fine with that.  I am now a Coach-net customer.

Thanks Chad. Pretty much the same scenario I had. Have to ask the question. What business model does not make it a priority for their front line customer representatives to be aware of their business policies?  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

3 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I also had CoachNet premium towable, and have a singled truck.  I called them and asked the same questions and got the same answers, so I went with them.  Have not had to use them as of yet, but have high hopes.  One thing for renewal time - I was able to select Ultimate Protect Towable, which looks like it is a dealer only product.   I now have this coverage. Key additional benefits:

Unlimited Towing           

No mileage or dollar amount limits and no out of pocket expense when towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility.

Unlimited Tire Assistance           

Delivery of Fuel and Emergency Fluids           

Unlimited Battery Boosts           

Unlimited Lockouts           

Unlimited Mobile Mechanic           

Unlimited Appointment Assistance           

Winching/Free A Stuck Vehicle           

Key and Key Remote Replacement           

Windshield Repair           

Courtesy Mobile Mechanic           

Emergency Trip Interruption        

There is other stuff as well, but for the minor price difference, I felt it was worth it.  My truck is over 20 years old and no longer eligible for comprehensive coverage in Florida, so the windshield coverage is enough in and of itself.   

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Admitting it is a roll of the proverbial dice I only have whatever roadside is provided by my insurance. I make this decision based on the stories of waiting forever for a truck to show up then if / when they do they can barely handle a vehicle the size of a Kia never mind a large RV.

So my plan is to google truck service near me, tour bus near me, truck stop, etc.  Some one that answers the phone at one of those should be able to give some insight.  This worked when I had a blowout at 3:00 AM in middle of West Virginia. Found some of the nicest people at Service Truck Tire who helped walk me through FMCA tire purchasing.

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, aknavy said:

I also had CoachNet premium towable, and have a singled truck.  I called them and asked the same questions and got the same answers, so I went with them.  Have not had to use them as of yet, but have high hopes.  One thing for renewal time - I was able to select Ultimate Protect Towable, which looks like it is a dealer only product.   I now have this coverage. Key additional benefits:

Unlimited Towing           

No mileage or dollar amount limits and no out of pocket expense when towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility.

Unlimited Tire Assistance           

Delivery of Fuel and Emergency Fluids           

Unlimited Battery Boosts           

Unlimited Lockouts           

Unlimited Mobile Mechanic           

Unlimited Appointment Assistance           

Winching/Free A Stuck Vehicle           

Key and Key Remote Replacement           

Windshield Repair           

Courtesy Mobile Mechanic           

Emergency Trip Interruption        

There is other stuff as well, but for the minor price difference, I felt it was worth it.  My truck is over 20 years old and no longer eligible for comprehensive coverage in Florida, so the windshield coverage is enough in and of itself.   

Aknavy, did you have to be with them for the first year before they offered you the upgraded perks or could you sign up from the beginning? Also does this policy cover an extra vehicle or motorcycle or multiple other vehicles. I'm so done with good Sam and AAA.

Thanks 

On 1/25/2023 at 6:20 AM, rickeieio said:

In 12 years of recreational road tractor ownership, we've been towed once, just a month after we bought the first truck.  It was $350.

I had mine towed about 1.5 hrs to a repair facility and it cost me $1200 cash, in Cali.

From experience, will CoachNet also tow 5er to a safe place, other than the side of a freeway or highway?  Wondering what the scenario might look like if stuck and HDT has to go to shop.

Marcel

On 4/9/2023 at 2:35 PM, chief916 said:

Aknavy, did you have to be with them for the first year before they offered you the upgraded perks or could you sign up from the beginning? Also does this policy cover an extra vehicle or motorcycle or multiple other vehicles. I'm so done with good Sam and AAA.

Thanks 

I was with them for a year, the upgraded perks were on the renewal.  Maybe you can get it through a dealer on the first go around, I don't know.  Not sure on other vehicles, as I wasn't looking.  We have a roadside assistance policy under out insurance for the Jeep. 

Coachnet is supposed to move the truck and the trailer, btw.

From their website:

All-Inclusive Coverage
We’ve got you and your family covered. Your
Premier membership will include coverage
on your registered RV and all other personal
vehicles (including motorcycles) - owned,
rented, borrowed or leased. Even if you are
a passenger in another vehicle - we’ve got
you covered. Best of all, our all-inclusive
service means you don’t need any other
roadside assistance program!

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

16 hours ago, aknavy said:

I was with them for a year, the upgraded perks were on the renewal.  Maybe you can get it through a dealer on the first go around, I don't know.  Not sure on other vehicles, as I wasn't looking.  We have a roadside assistance policy under out insurance for the Jeep. 

Coachnet is supposed to move the truck and the trailer, btw.

From their website:

All-Inclusive Coverage
We’ve got you and your family covered. Your
Premier membership will include coverage
on your registered RV and all other personal
vehicles (including motorcycles) - owned,
rented, borrowed or leased. Even if you are
a passenger in another vehicle - we’ve got
you covered. Best of all, our all-inclusive
service means you don’t need any other
roadside assistance program!

Thank you Sir for the info. I'm calling them today.

• 10 months later...

Had a tire failure on I-75 and since I have Good Sam Platinum Complete coverage, I called for help. I had to pay $400 up front before anyone was sent to help me. Getting reimbursed has been extremely difficult. Now I am being told that my Platinum Complete plan only pays for the tire and doesn't pay for the tire change labor ($165). Why is it called Roadside Assistance if it doesn't cover assistance? Good Sam totally failed me. If it is not going to pay for breakdowns while traveling, there is no reason to pay for it. I will not renew.

And another dis-satisfied Good Sam customer speaks out.  We left GS some time back.

Oh, and WELCOME RonK!!!   A few words about your self and your rig, and perhaps a pic or two are part of the official admittance fee.  Then SuiteSuccess will send you your Secret Decoder Ring. 

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I learned a few things about roadside assistance recently. A friend of mine works for AAA as a recruiter. Any roadside assistance company is as good as the people they have in the area. For example, if I call AAA in the town where I live it better be between 9 am and 5 pm because I live in a dead zone. They cannot get someone in my area to do 24/7 service. If I have a flat 5 miles from my house at 9 pm my AAA is completely worthless. If I'm in Omaha at 9pm I get great service. 

So just because you called Good Sam and got crap service doesn't mean they are garbage. It just means the people they have in the area are bad. 

I am in no way advocating for any roadside assistance company. I only have AAA because he got it for me for free. If I have a flat tire, I will change it myself. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

And while you may have read this before, it's worth repeating:  DO NOT tell the person answering your call that you have a road tractor, semi, etc.  If you do, you'll likely be refused service because they assume you are commercial.  Happened to us on the Alaska Highway.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

46 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I learned a few things about roadside assistance recently. A friend of mine works for AAA as a recruiter. Any roadside assistance company is as good as the people they have in the area. For example, if I call AAA in the town where I live it better be between 9 am and 5 pm because I live in a dead zone. They cannot get someone in my area to do 24/7 service. If I have a flat 5 miles from my house at 9 pm my AAA is completely worthless. If I'm in Omaha at 9pm I get great service. 

So just because you called Good Sam and got crap service doesn't mean they are garbage. It just means the people they have in the area are bad. 

I am in no way advocating for any roadside assistance company. I only have AAA because he got it for me for free. If I have a flat tire, I will change it myself. 

My problem was and is with their “business model”.  Even McDonalds teaches their employees to make the burgers the same way every time.  Good Sam did not teach every employee the same answer to a basic question….am I covered?  Having read a previous thread on this forum, I consistently called a representative (supposedly recorded response) and described my rig and what I was using it for BEFORE renewing.  It was only recently that I was informed I was not covered because of the conversion of a commercial vehicle.  I took it up the chain to a supervisor and then the head office rep only to find the “policy” had apparently changed four years previously.  Why had the previous three reps not been informed of a company wide policy change?  Why had the customers not been informed of a coverage change?  Answer from higher up…it was my responsibility to find it, they had no obligations to inform.  So I looked…their brochure indeed said no coverage for a commercial vehicle…I’m not commercial…registered as a Motorhome.  DOT recognizes the difference.  Called back to head office.  Asked if they covered Prevost, MCI bus/motorhomes?  Answer…yes.  Well primary business of both is commercial bus production for passenger hauling.  Met with crickets on the end of the line.  Facts always lead to the truth and I choose not to deal with any business that I believe is less than truthful.  BTW they would NOT refund my previous four year’s premiums for the time their policy was not going to provide coverage.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 1/31/2023 at 9:09 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

To wrap up the thread, I received a call apparently from the same lady Larry spoke to with Mr. Lemonis’ complaint resolution center.  After a spirited conversation concerning my less than satisfactory experiences with their lower and mid level customer service department, I was informed my truck was NOT covered by their service contract based on the fact it was designed to be used as a commercial vehicle DESPITE change of registration to a Motorhome and modifications to pull a fifth wheel travel trailer.  I specifically asked about Motorhomes such as Prevost and other frames which were designed as commercial vehicles for transport companies and they are apparently covered.  She failed to recognize the conflict in logic.  Regardless I admonish anyone with an HDT and paying for a Roadside Assistance Service, you best check with them by phone, read the fine print, most of all have them send you written confirmation of coverage of your vehicle.  I plan on talking to CoachNet just out of curiosity.

Using Prevost to make your point hasn't been valid for a number of years now. Prevost currently makes units specifically for the RV conversion market.

https://prevostmotorhomes.com/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Using Prevost to make your point hasn't been valid for a number of years now. Prevost currently makes units specifically for the RV conversion market.

https://prevostmotorhomes.com/

Yes and Kenworth and Volvo have speced a truck for folks we know specifically to pull a fifth wheel and be registered in their respective states for that purpose. So should they not be covered because Kenworth and  Volvo mainly build commercial vehicles?  Jack Mayer and RVH are ordering trucks and purpose building to not be used commercially.  So I think the point I was making still has validity.  Plus, I still would bet Prevost primary market is still for commercial use. In fact they sold shy of 400 commercial buses to New York State in 2023 with an option for more. https://prevostcar.com/. BTW you do know Prevost is owned by Volvo Truck Group?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

4 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Yes and Kenworth and Volvo have speced a truck for folks we know specifically to pull a fifth wheel and be registered in their respective states for that purpose. So should they not be covered because Kenworth and  Volvo mainly build commercial vehicles?  Jack Mayer and RVH are ordering trucks and purpose building to not be used commercially.  So I think the point I was making still has validity.  Plus, I still would bet Prevost primary market is still for commercial use. In fact they sold shy of 400 commercial buses to New York State in 2023 with an option for more. https://prevostcar.com/. BTW you do know Prevost is owned by Volvo Truck Group?

Yes I'm aware that Prevost is owned by Volvo. I'm also aware the most major RV companies have a commercial division that makes specialized non-RV vehicles. To answer your question though, yes, I do think the ERS companies should cover vehicles registered as motorhomes with no regard to the origin of the underlying original vehicle. I wonder if they cover schoolies.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I wonder if they cover schoolies.

Don't know about roadside assistance policies, but I can tell you that my agent for nearly everything insurance told me that in 2020-2021 he had a LOT of folks come to him, trying to schoolie insurance, and could not.

The problems with insurance are wide and deep.  My Progressive policy covers towing, and I'll see if they reimburse me for a recent tow when we get back from this trip.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN