Wanted

Sandy and Luke

IF you choose another Volvo, you might consider adding an additional step or 2 to assist in the climb into the cab.  I have knees that are worn out but not ready for replacement, so I'd like to try to get them to last and I will be fabricating some steps soon.

Marcel

Another consideration.......A manual tranny isn't bad if you have an air assist clutch.  Our 2001 Volvo had a very heavy clutch, but our KW is like a car, comparatively.  The 13 spd Eaton is a pleasure to use.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

16 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Remember you only need the clutch to start the truck rolling. Then shift without the clutch.

I do have a air assist clutch copied from. Randy I think. I seen it at the HDT rally in 2012 .

Has a switch to operate the clutch on the gear shift.

I do shift without the clutch but it’s the 15+ stop lights and stop signs between our house and the Interstate and feathering the 5th wheel through the RV parks getting to our site just left my knees swollen and sore.

1 hour ago, Sandy and Luke said:

If I had my wish come true, I’d prefer a Ford simply because of our collection of Ford cars. Not afraid of age if it’s not rusted. That’s a really big wish. Motor wise-Cummins. Automatic trans, RV Title, singled.

Oh my.  Good luck finding a Ford with a Cummins and an autoshift.  I believe Ford quit building trucks with Cummins power in the late 1980's, long before automated trannys became popular.

But, if you were only kidding, you didn't answer my question.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

22 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Oh my.  Good luck finding a Ford with a Cummins and an autoshift.  I believe Ford quit building trucks with Cummins power in the late 1980's, long before automated trannys became popular.

But, if you were only kidding, you didn't answer my question.

I was dreaming! But most of the rest is true.

Cummins, auto, singled, RV title and all the stuff that makes it a RV, (sleeper, frig, micro, etc) 

don’t necessarily need a generator or APU,

Budget is value driven but for a number, $50k. Can be more if the value is there.

Prefer located anywhere east of the Mississippi but that’s not limited either.

Thanks

What are your state requirements?  Do you even need m/h registration?  Will you be full timing?  Reason for asking, tandems are easier to find, unless you're specifically looking for a truck already having a bed.  But, since you mentioned that you had a Volvo, I'd imagine you already know what works for you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I believe Ford quit building trucks with Cummins power in the late 1980's, long before automated trannys became popular.

They may not have built them, but don't forget the embarrassment of "Sterling". A little light for the OP desires, but automatic trans, Cummins power.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Well, I really was trying to forget.  I believe they made them in class 8, but even though the Fords weren't very good, the Sterlings were less so.

That said, a LTL 9000 was about as good looking as any truck, ever.  Just sorta "tinny".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

We still have a class 8 Sterling, 1998 model, N14/18 speed on the farm. 2 million miles, replaced every driveline component at least once, still making $$$. Don't even get me going on farm trucks.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I had an Easy Clutch in our Mack, and loved it.  However, when I put the new clutch in the Volvo, that was no an option.  I had to go back with a regular clutch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I put an easy clutch in my rig four years ago or so.  It is one of the best upgrades I did to my three pedal gen one auto shift.  The old clutch would make my knee shake at long stop lights.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Have you looked at Livestock Hauler sales yards?  Can find Class 7 toters pretty reasonable there most in Crew Cabs.  Freightliner KW and Pete, a Few Navistar Medium Duties.  Will nearly all be Cummins or MB engine, with Allison Autos.

As to HDT Class 8s, anyhting older than 10 years will be on a lot of old fashioned used car lots these days, a few smaller fleets will have dated machines sitting as spares and most will sell reasonably low to be rid of them.  Just have to reduce to a SDA and shorten frame and/or lengthen drive shaft.  Engines and grime will be largest concerns.

Had I to do over again, would have dropped drives out as a assembly on cut away frame, had two lighter rails made to eliminate the Double frame on ours and installed a air ride single drive axle.  Truck would have lost around 4 ton, swapped trans to a 10spd and been easier to maneuver.  Hindsight.

Dave

Edited by ddm502001
add

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W 

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjj.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjjl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]