How to get seasick in Kansas

Wrknrvr

During the 70 mph winds we sat out, we were in a Class C in the desert so we just kept turning in to the wind whenever it changed direction. Otherwise, I would have been the one sick. The things you learn as a full timer! 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Where in KS are you? The worst I ever sat out was traveling west on I80 we stopped in Rawlins to wait out the wind one May. We left Cheyenne and after about 140 miles had had enough. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Been through WaKeene many times and even spet the night there a few times. While I have experienced wind in that area I can't recall it ever beeing quite that bad but I did once get into a rain storme in that area that was so heavy that pretty much all of the traffic came to a stop on the interstate but that was in June. I grew up about 200 miles to the east of there and my parents lived in Junction City for 40 years, starting the year that I left home. 

We were camped at Meteor Crater RV park some years ago. The wind blew over semis on the nearby interstate. We had sand coming in through the breather holes in our window frames. Power lines were like skipping ropes. The wind was so strong we couldn't open our MH door! Years of Rving and never want to camp in winds like that again. A 40ft Country Coach dp and we thought it was going over a number of times. No thanks.

We stayed a couple of days at the Waleeny KOA just this year and i don't think the wind ever stopped, awning never went out at all. Hope the wind dies down so you can move on safely.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Moe than once we have hunkered down for a day or two to let the wind subside before we could move on.  If they are posting High Profile Vehicle warnings on the highways, it is better to wait a day or two.  

We have been rocked about by the wind but never felt seasick.  I guess having raced sailboats may have lessened my sensitivity a bit to rocking and rolling.

We have lived in Oklahoma and spent a fair amount of time in Kansas as well as traveled the rest of the country and it can really get windy throughout the central plains of the country.

Stay safe on the roads folks.  

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

For what it is worth, not one of you in this thread spelled WaKeeney correctly. It is the combination of the names of the two men that bought the land and platted it, Albert Warren and James Keeney. That was our favorite stopping point when we lived in Colorado Springs and were heading east. And yes, it sure can get windy out there on the high plains with nothing to block the wind from Canada on down. 

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I guess I was thinking of getting seasick when I was typing. Yes Chalkie is correct.

Only went 168 miles today. Windy again Also needed to do some things on rv. Generator was not putting out high enough voltage to charge the batteries and run the residential fridge at night.

The generator is a Miller welder generator from back about 1970’s. I have owned for over 30 years. Rebuilt it about 5 years ago.

Safe travels for those on the move 

You may want to pick up some Bonine motion sickness pills. We have some from when we went on cruises but so far have never needed them in the RV.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

9 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

You may want to pick up some Bonine motion sickness pills. We have some from when we went on cruises but so far have never needed them in the RV.

I read their packaging. It still list drowsiness as a side effect so beware driving.

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Well I thought about driving in the wind yesterday. But decided to stop and wait it out.

So my weather was not showing rain and thunder. But my wife’s was.

So now here we sitting. Rocking and rolling outside at 7:10 am. Let’s say not good weather outside the door at this time. But in an hour or two ( just had a big boom from lightning) when the worst of the rain is over, we will leave.

Probable be driving in wind today 

Sometimes a person can mis judge what is happening around them. I know I did this time. But we did get diesel fuel for 4.79 yesterday in Wakeeny Kansas.

Edited by Wrknrvr

1 hour ago, BobinICT said:

Hopefully the Texas coast won't be as windy as it was last year but at least we will be on the water or close to it most of the time. 

The coastal areas usually are fairly windy since there is nothing out on the water to slow the wind. At least it usually isn't a cold wind.   😃

1 hour ago, bruce t said:

I did off shore sailing for many years. Those who thought they would get sick did get sick. I believe 95% of folks talk themselves into it. I can only recall one crew member getting sick. And that may have been an off can of beer!

The one time I came close to feeling seasick, was offshore at Galveston and it was hot and the wind dies to a calm.  The sea was slow rolling swells.  I was never bothered by rough seas and sailed through squalls with no problem.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 11/4/2022 at 9:22 PM, TXiceman said:

The one time I came close to feeling seasick, was offshore at Galveston and it was hot and the wind dies to a calm.  The sea was slow rolling swells.  I was never bothered by rough seas and sailed through squalls with no problem.

We had a similar experience on a SCUBA club boat off of the Big Island when I was stationed at Pearl Harbor. We had no wind and slow, long, glass calm swells. Everyone was sick including the skipper. When we got to the reef that was our destination we could not get off the boat fast enough. Retching underwater with a SCUBA regulator in your mouth was a new experience. I've been fortunate not to repeat it.

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ