Full timer RV insurance suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions about a company that will underwrite a fulltime insurance policy for a Class B?  We are finding that companies (Progressive, National General, etc) won't write us a policy unless we have another vehicle insured.  This kind of defeats the purpose of buying the Class B.

3 hours ago, K McDonald said:

Does anyone have any suggestions about a company that will underwrite a fulltime insurance policy for a Class B?  We are finding that companies (Progressive, National General, etc) won't write us a policy unless we have another vehicle insured.  This kind of defeats the purpose of buying the Class B.

We went with Foremost back in 2008 after finding out the Progressive policy we bought didn't cover us with only a Class B. Progressive did refund our money. I don't have any current experience, though, since I sold my last Class B several years ago.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, Ro and Joe said:

I use Miller RV Insurance:  http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/.   They're an insurance broker who will find the best deal and shop for you.  Make sure to tell them you full time.

Another vote for Miller.  Roxanne is super!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I cannot help provide any information about which companies provide fulltimer insurance.  Most standard insurance companies do NOT provide adequate coverage.  Instead their policies are designed to cover the RV but not the contents.  Contents will typically be covered under homeowner/apartment polices.  We had a theft and found out the hard way that our personal items where not covered. Since the RV was not stolen but only personal items, we received no compensation.  Also be sure you can add a rider to your RV insurance if you have any really expensive items such as camera gear.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, K McDonald said:

It's not just your personal belongings it's also liability insurance that you need.  

Absolutely agree with that and it is probably the primary issue with a typical RV policy. Did you find your new policy through an insurance agency such as Miller or one of the others popular with the Escapee community? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gypsydan said:

I have only my RV insured by Progressive.  Are you trying to use an agent or direct from Progressive. 

There's a difference in having only your RV insured and having your RV be your only vehicle. You may have other vehicles insured elsewhere or have homeowner's or renter's insurance which covers the liability issue. But, if you are a full timer, with no toad or tow or other housing, Progressive will not cover you. They will sell you a policy but it won't cover you.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 12/16/2022 at 12:02 AM, sandsys said:

There's a difference in having only your RV insured and having your RV be your only vehicle. You may have other vehicles insured elsewhere or have homeowner's or renter's insurance which covers the liability issue. But, if you are a full timer, with no toad or tow or other housing, Progressive will not cover you. They will sell you a policy but it won't cover you.

Linda

Exactly.  I called them up to get a new policy for the van and they wouldn't cover us once they discovered that it would be our only vehicle.  They will not cover an RV as a 'daily driver' even though we don't work.

On 12/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, Kirk W said:

Absolutely agree with that and it is probably the primary issue with a typical RV policy. Did you find your new policy through an insurance agency such as Miller or one of the others popular with the Escapee community? 

I worked with American Adventure Insurance.  They were able to find a policy with National General.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, K McDonald said:

I worked with American Adventure Insurance.  They were able to find a policy with National General.

Before signing with National General, read the policy.  I purchased National General several years ago and had to immedialty cancel, as the policy states you have to be in state for a set amount of time during the policy period; if I recall it was 7 months.  If anyone has the policy and can report differently, let me know.

Merry Christmas all.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

On 12/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, gypsydan said:

Before signing with National General, read the policy.  I purchased National General several years ago and had to immedialty cancel, as the policy states you have to be in state for a set amount of time during the policy period; if I recall it was 7 months.  If anyone has the policy and can report differently, let me know.

Merry Christmas all.

There is a section about time in state but, that does not apply if you have a full timer policy.  I was concerned about this also, but was assured by the agent that we would be covered.

4 hours ago, K McDonald said:

There is a section about time in state but, that does not apply if you have a full timer policy.  I was concerned about this also, but was assured by the agent that we would be covered.

Agents are salespeople. Are you familiar with the often quoted statement here that "If a salesperson's lips are moving..."

Friends had an insurance agent assure them that changing the location of their health insurance would not change their coverage. But they were denied coverage under a pre-existing condition clause because not enough time had passed since they got the "new" coverage. Funny how it was not the agent that paid those medical bills.

Linda

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

Agents are salespeople. Are you familiar with the often quoted statement here that "If a salesperson's lips are moving..."

Friends had an insurance agent assure them that changing the location of their health insurance would not change their coverage. But they were denied coverage under a pre-existing condition clause because not enough time had passed since they got the "new" coverage. Funny how it was not the agent that paid those medical bills.

Linda

Not familiar with that saying but, I have in writing that the agent verified our coverage with the insurer and that we are covered.  There is a whole section of modifications based on being a full timer.

If you aren't going to believe your agent do you just buy directly from the insurance company?  Couldn't they just tell you what you want to hear?

23 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda

.... but the agent stated "changing the location".  The problem was "pre-existing condition clause".

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, K McDonald said:

Not familiar with that saying but, I have in writing that the agent verified our coverage with the insurer and that we are covered.  There is a whole section of modifications based on being a full timer.

If you aren't going to believe your agent do you just buy directly from the insurance company?  Couldn't they just tell you what you want to hear?

You should both listen to your agent and read the documents. You need to be looking for the exclusions. They are not always clear. Like my friend whose new health insurance policy said exactly the same thing as the old policy--there was no mention of there being a new start date for pre-existing conditions that had not yet been diagnosed. That oversight on the part of the agent cost my friend a LOT of money.

Linda