Honda 1000I Generator?

Has anyone experence with using the 1000 to maintain there rigs electrial system? I understand it is too small! But want to simply use it to keep my computers and phones charged and keep the house batterys up with out having to run the main generator? My question is has anyone tried this?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

10 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Has anyone experence with using the 1000 to maintain there rigs electrial system? I understand it is too small! But want to simply use it to keep my computers and phones charged and keep the house batterys up with out having to run the main generator? My question is has anyone tried this?

That obviously depends on your electrical load, but depending on the size of your battery bank and charger, it can easily be done. I used the 2000I for years for that purpose and it was more than enough, but I had a small system. In my case, I simply set the input of my inverter/charger to 15 amps to match the modest output of the generator. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

Mine was bigger as ours was a Honda 2000. A 1000 probably has a maximum constant supply of about 800/900 watts so it should be able to supply 6-8a of power. If you let the battery get too low your converter may draw more than the generator can supply and trip the breaker on the generator. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Mine was bigger as ours was a Honda 2000. A 1000 probably has a maximum constant supply of about 800/900 watts so it should be able to supply 6-8a of power. If you let the battery get too low your converter may draw more than the generator can supply and trip the breaker on the generator. 

You can get around that issue by using a charger matched to your generator, so that is all the generator ever sees. A quality one is less than a $100.00. Jay

1 minute ago, Jaydrvr said:

You can get around that issue by using a charger matched to your generator, so that is all the generator ever sees.

A good point. I was referencing a connection to the RV's shore power cord. Using a battery charger would get around that issue. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

A good point. I was referencing a connection to the RV's shore power cord. Using a battery charger would get around that issue. 

Yes, I understand. We've all had to get creative sometimes to find solutions.. Jay

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

It will work if you watch your load and don't let the house batteries get to low, we've done it with our old Honda 650 watt generator when boondocking in the mountains.

What I'm playing with now that we have a residential frig because our 5 year old Amish cooling unit died is to plug the converter into the generator and run a 2000 watt PSW inverter off the batteries. I wired the slide that has the refrigerator and entertainment center off the new inverter and because the inverter is running off the batteries I can run the refrigerator using the small generator because the batteries will supply the compressor startup current. When I was playing with it I also started our dorm refrigerator with the same results. I also ran the TV, reciever and tap player and it all worked and the battery voltage stayed at 13.7 with all of them running. Our plan is to run the small generator when dry camping for the night until we go to bed and keep the fridge and chest freezer running along we the the TV. Because the frig and freezer will already down to temp because they run off the inverter and the truck keeps the batteries up when going down the road the load will be light most of the time. Our inverter is Bluetooth so I can monitor the load and control it from my phone. Our little Honda sips fuel and the big generator sucks fuel so running a cord will be worth it.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I carry a 1000, just to recharge the batteries when off-grid (only 100w solar currently), and to keep batteries topped up over night when running the furnace at full blast (we'll camp in the mountains in winter and will see subzero temps regularly).  Works great for that need, and is small enough to fit reasonably well in my truck camper.

My 1000  is not living up to its rated wattage.  I was expecting around 800 watts continuous for charging but it won't even handle that for 2 seconds.  Now I  mainly use it in parallel with 2 2200 Hondas so I can run my a/c and microwave at the same time.  It adds just enough power to be able to do that.

Edited by hemsteadc

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned a Honda EU100i for 22 years, but it's obsolete.   If all you want is to keep your electronics and batteries charged solar is a much better option.  A solar panel or two, a charge controller and an inverter will do the same thing silently for the same price or less than the Honda.  You can get portable foldable solar panels to set on the ground if you don't want to mount them on the RV.  100 watts during 8 hours of sunshine delivers the same power as 800 watts from a generator running for an hour.  Do it yourself or get one of the all in one packages like the Jackery.

Edited by Lou Schneider