Re-Upholstery Services in Mexico in Border Towns Along Texas

ColChez

We need to re-upholster the interior of our coach and we have heard that there are some excellent craftsmen in Mexico who can do the job for a fraction of U.S. typical prices.  We are soon to travel to Texas and would appreciate any recommendations for reputable Mexican upholstery shops located in any of the many border towns along the Texas border.

I was born and raised in El Paso.

I remember as a little boy my Mom's story about taking a wig of hers over to Juarez to have it redone. When she went back to pick it up the whole shop was gone. The "wig" was never seen again. 

Many more stolen car stories going into Mexico to never be seen again.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Dateline: Sometime in the future.

Traveling RV couple's burned out RV found abandoned in an alley in Juarez.

Curiously, the torn-up seats were removed and found 30 kms away at an outdoor music venue.

Neeexxxxt....

Nothing to see here. 

• 2 weeks later...

someone likely stole the rv and took it across the border, nobody in their right mind would go into Juarez, Nowhere to camp there. It is generally a  lot safer in mexico than in the US these days with all the mass shootings. At least in Mexico they tend to be targeted and have a reason behind them rather than the random stuff in the US. However, some spots are no go and Juarez is one of them. Cross at Nogales, Tecate, Eagle pass or Colombia bridge and get 100 miles south of the border. I spend 6 months a year in melaque near Manzanillo. Been RVing down there for 15 years without an incident or hint of one. I definitely feel safer than in the US, these days with its out of control gun violence.

Edited by telcoman

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

I will keep my RV, my truck, and my money on this side of the border.  I have friends that are Hispanic with relatives on the other side and they are told by the relatives, to not bring anything of value into Mexico

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Sure, just like i would not put my kids into a US school, attend a country music concert (a friend of mine  is now in  wheelchair after that one) , go to a movie theatre and risk a Walmart in Texas. The fact of the matter is you are at some  risk anywhere, but I feel safe enough in Mexico I actually became a legal resident. At least most people down there do not have guns, Cartels do, but if you leave them alone they leave you alone.  Guns are not the main cause of deaths among children like they now are in the US. I have nothing against them per se, but the US is an armed camp and you are risk every time you go to grocery store and your kids are certainly at risk going to school. That sort of thing does happen elsewhere, even Canada, where I live 5 months a year or the UK or New Zealand or Australia, but it is rare. Mass killings are now a daily occurrence in the US. They don't even make the news anymore unless its a big one, they are so common. I am on my guard every minute i spend in the US these days.

Edited by telcoman

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

11 hours ago, telcoman said:

Sure, just like i would not put my kids into a US school, attend a country music concert (a friend of mine  is now in  wheelchair after that one) , go to a movie theatre and risk a Walmart in Texas. The fact of the matter is you are at some  risk anywhere, but I feel safe enough in Mexico I actually became a legal resident. At least most people down there do not have guns, Cartels do, but if you leave them alone they leave you alone.  Guns are not the main cause of deaths among children like they now are in the US. I have nothing against them per se, but the US is an armed camp and you are risk every time you go to grocery store and your kids are certainly at risk going to school. That sort of thing does happen elsewhere, even Canada, where I live 5 months a year or the UK or New Zealand or Australia, but it is rare. Mass killings are now a daily occurrence in the US. They don't even make the news anymore unless its a big one, they are so common. I am on my guard every minute i spend in the US these days.

Guns & shootings aside.

Just keep this thought in your head in "safe" Mexico:  The justice system is the opposite of the USA.

Everyone & everything is guilty until proven innocent......which may take a LONG time and a LOT of mordida.

A friend hit a mexican on a bicycle on a dark street.  Killed him.  Nobody would help, he and his two friends were jailed (they were not in the car).  His friends were released two days later.

No help from the US Embassy (they paid some money with no results). No help from a friend (movie producer) who owns a hotel in Mazatlan, and tried also.

Jim -the driver- was jailed for murder!  Mexican Ins washed their hands = no help.  He spent a week in a Mexican jail - (just walls, no roof).  A Battalion Chief went down with $1500 - split between the judge and the deceased victim's widow.  (the judge's portion was "bail").  Jim returned with dysentery, his car was never returned.  And, of course, *he* never returned to Mexico.

And - to the original question.  A retired F/F I know (left that position to become a minister) found he couldn't make ends meet as a minister.  He would buy Motor Homes and/or Corvettes and take them to MX for new upholstery and/or paint - then re-sell them.  On one of those trips (with a MH) for some reason (money?) he was attacked and severely beaten.  Spent a couple of weeks in a (US) hospital due to internal injuries.

Several of the retired guys I worked with in So.CA had vacation homes in MX.  One guy had 3 in different locations.  All have sold their MX homes (and/or mobile homes).  BTW - they all were fluent in Spanish, one guy had an uncle who (at one time) was the mayor of Ensenada.

Know the risks - and do your best to stay safe!  Lastly, good luck!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Keep in mind that 100's and 100's of Canadian and Americans daily cross the border at Los Algodones for dental work.
And that's just one Mexican border town.  And there are many others with no casualties.

For all the fear in this country, there are just as many foreigners afraid of the US - gun killings here all the time.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

2 hours ago, Rich&amp;Sylvia said:

Keep in mind that 100's and 100's of Canadian and Americans daily cross the border at Los Algodones for dental work.
And that's just one Mexican border town.  And there are many others with no casualties.

For all the fear in this country, there are just as many foreigners afraid of the US - gun killings here all the time.

Excellent!  Totally agree!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I get very tired of all the misinformation about mexico. 1000's of Americans and Candians are choosing to retire there and most will tell you they feel a lot safer there than they felt at home. I am guessing over 1000 US and Canadians RV down there, judging by how full RV Parks are. I took out legal residency myself as i am considering Mexico for assisted living options once I get to that stage. Regardless I have spent at least 1/2 year down there for almost 15 years and never had a problem. I have covered almost every corner of the country in my RV and have led several RV Caravans there. It is like the 50's, stop on the side of the road for a break and you have Mexicans stopping to ask if you need help all the time. I was within a block of the Gaby Giffords shooting, close enough to hear it. An acquaintance of mine spent over  a year in a wheelchair after being injured in the LAs Vegas shooting. I can understand peoples fears, but look at the mirror in your own country. You are certainly not safe.

Edited by telcoman

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

10 hours ago, telcoman said:

I get very tired of all the misinformation about mexico. 1000's of Americans and Candians are choosing to retire there and most will tell you they feel a lot safer there than they felt at home.

Where are the 1000's of Americans ...from the USA?  (Mexico *is* in America!) and "Candians" residing?  Stats please!

Do those "Candians" return to "Candia" when their medical coverage ends - and needs to be renewed? - Or are they wealthy enough to skip "Candia" coverage and pay their own way?

~

Both Canadians and americans. There are at least 1000 between Chapala and San Miguel Allende. More large clusters in Puerto Vallarta and the Yucatan There are several hundred expats in Melaque / Barra Navidad, a small town just north of Manzanillo where I live, both American and Canadian. I would estimate close to 500 actually, about 1/2 of them 6 month residents. The facebook page "Expats in Mexico" has 120 thousand members.

On top of that there are 1000's of seasonals, many with Mexican resident status. I am one of those. My reason is medical, I have to spend 5 months a year in Canada to keep Canadian medical. I rely on Mexican medicare down there and belong to skymed so I can be flown home if needed. Mexican free medicare is crappy, but its free if you are a resident, and you can sign up for the higher level IMSS for about a grand a year.  It helps to speak Spanish. A lot of people are taking out Mexican resident status. I have been assisting many of them at the small INM office in Melaque, since I am now very familiar with the procedure, in fact I teach a course on it in Canada in summer. They process at least 10 a day in Melaque in Nov-Mar. Appointments at both US and Canadian consulates to start the process, are months out. As far as RV parks are concerned there are over 500 in the country. Many last year were full from Jan to March, especially those on the west coast. During covid they were pretty empty, but it is bouncing back. The one down the street from my place in Melaque was 100% full in Jan-Feb. Mind you it s a pretty nice park. Pool, 30 amp $600 a month

melaque1.jpg

Edited by telcoman

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

I am glad that some of you feel safe to travel and live in Mexico.  But when seeing the news, I do not want to become another statistic.  On this side of the border, I at least have the option of protecting myself legally.

Ken 

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

10 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

I am glad that some of you feel safe to travel and live in Mexico.  But when seeing the news, I do not want to become another statistic.  On this side of the border, I at least have the option of protecting myself legally.

Ken 

Weapons are not allowed in schools or hospitals - no exception for you either.

~Rich

I trielos_algodones_parking.jpg

Parking lot at Los Algodones during the summer off season.  During winter the lower free parking area is usually near full.  
One row of parking spaces is about 60 spaces - probably well over a thousand spaces.  
Plus, the upper parking area is for overnight parking.  ($10)
Probably over 1000 people daily crossing for optical and dental services.

If you think "Disneyland", then yes, it is crowed.

~Rich

33 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Ken 

Each to his own, but in  reality you are in just as much, if not more, danger in the US these days and statistically people who are armed actually get shot more.https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed/

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

14 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Where are the 1000's of Americans ...from the USA?  (Mexico *is* in America!) and "Candians" residing?  Stats please!

Do those "Candians" return to "Candia" when their medical coverage ends - and needs to be renewed? - Or are they wealthy enough to skip "Candia" coverage and pay their own way?

I, personally, know one Canadian who now resides full time in Mexico. She's doing much better there than she did in Canada. She's not rich by any means but she has faster and more reliable internet which lets her work more efficiently that she was able to do at her place in Canada so she's making more money now. She's actually buying her very first house now.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 6/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, telcoman said:

Each to his own, but in  reality you are in just as much, if not more, danger in the US these days and statistically people who are armed actually get shot more.https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed/

Talk about a loaded study. Pick a city with known criminal activity, (Philidelphia), don't throw out those cases that are illegally carrying without a permit (gang bangers) that are actively engaged in criminal activities and then compare them to the percentage of the people in the same ethnic background that were shot and were not carrying.

Show me a legitimate study where legal, permitted people are more likely to be killed when a crime was committed against them compared to the same class of people that had a crime committed against them and were NOT carrying. Not some "pick my database and throw out the stats that don't agree with what I want" study from one of the anti-gun groups.

Go ahead, I'll wait......

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Here's an interesting article:  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

Many studies if you do a Google.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

On 6/11/2022 at 6:56 AM, telcoman said:

I have been assisting many of them at the small INM office in Melaque, since I am now very familiar with the procedure,

What is INM in Mexico?

The National Institute of Immigration (INM) is the authority in charge of regulating the entry, stay and exit of foreign and Mexican citizens in Mexico.

Just in case I'm not the only reader who didn't know what an INM office is.  🙂

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Here's an interesting article:  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

Many studies if you do a Google.

This is why I mentioned a legitimate, peer reviewed study. David Hemenway is a known activist from Harvard that has been exposed in most of his articles (not just about guns) for using flawed logic and supposition to make his "studies" have the conclusion he desired.

Try reading some of John Lotts studies. He was a researcher and a dedicated anti gun person who started out years ago to prove his point.

He performed a legitimate study however and found out that his thoughts and feelings were wrong and that a lot of his peers had flawed studies.

Try reading this article about Hemenway to see what one of his studies concluded.

https://thenewamerican.com/deeply-flawed-anti-gun-study-successfully-refuted/

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Interpretation of any stats is always flexible to a degree since they always contain many variable factors, any statistician will tell you that. They can show the trend, but there is always a factor of interpretation in there.

Paul Beddows

Co-Founder of NATCOA

2010 Majestic Class C

6 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Try reading some of John Lotts studies. He was a researcher and a dedicated anti gun person who started out years ago to prove his point.

He performed a legitimate study however and found out that his thoughts and feelings were wrong and that a lot of his peers had flawed studies.

Try reading this article about Hemenway to see what one of his studies concluded.

https://thenewamerican.com/deeply-flawed-anti-gun-study-successfully-refuted/

The New American?    John Lott is an investment advisor.  He's not credible.

https://www.mediamatters.org/john-lott/discredited-pro-gun-researcher-john-lott-falls-apart-when-you-press-him#:~:text=The book was widely criticized,states with no such laws.

Here's another article to read:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-evoke/for-any-market-to-work-well-we-need-good-data-and-no-externalities-the-us-gun-industry-evades-both-david-hemenway/articleshow/92112159.cms

Full-timed for 16 Years

• Kirk W locked this topic