James Webb Space Telescope

Kirk W

55 minutes ago, packnrat said:

but what do i know. i am just a 62 year old truck driver.

Don't go boasting about how young you are!  When Jules Verne published his book "From the Earth to the Moon" in 1865, that was just as impossible by standards of current knowledge as what we think of in visiting other solar systems today. On June 14, 1951, Remington Rand delivered its first computer, UNIVAC I, to the U.S. Census Bureau. The Univac 1 used 5,200 vacuum tubes and weighed 29,000 pounds. Remington Rand eventually sold 46 Univac 1s at more than $1 million each. Today, your cell phone has more computer power than all of NASA back in 1969, when it placed two astronauts on the moon. Who knows what the future holds in terms of travel or how far?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of imagination even when one is old is truly sad.   My grandfather was born in 1880, died in 1960 and got to ride on an Airplane.  He rounded up wild horses in Montana in the early 1900s for the Army for WWI, had a livery stable in Montana that also became a motor vehicle service station (where else would one go?), helped build Grand Coulee Damn and Baker Dam to supply power to the PNW which in turn gave Boeing enough power to build bombers for WWII, saw the atom split and so much more!   Radio and TV were unheard of when he was born.  Indoor plumbing and lighting - not in the Soddy where my mom was born.     We have no idea what our dependents will do 2-3 millenia from now.   Huge space stations where many generations will be born, live, and die as they make the trek to Alpha Centuri?   Someone developing Warp speed?  Medicine that would make Star Trek practices seem quaint?   Just imagine. 😉

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

but what do i know. i am just a 62 year old truck driver.

I'm 72. I think the first step is realizing that you don't know. So good on you . . . keep reading.

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

ftl is not possible due to a law of physics . . .

Theoretically, it is possible via the Alcubierre Drive (ie warp drive). However, your spaceship wouldn't move, but the space around it would as fast as you wanted it to move.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

23 hours ago, packnrat said:

but the launch did put more trash in orbit around the planet earth. we (as humans) need to find a far cheaper way and one that is 100% non disposable. if nothing more than no more nuts or bolts, paint chips. coming loose.

The jwst does not orbit earth...it orbits a point in space called L2...no trash was put in orbit around planet earth...

The holy grail of rocketry is rapid ,fully reusable vehicles comparable to airlines abilities to rapidly reuse an airplane...this is the goal of spacex and the starship program that is being developed using the raptor methalox engine..

You can do your own research on these items by using Google if your interested. 

don;t know "boasting how young i am" my body is broken. and some days i feel more like 192.

sure things will change. at one time it was said if you exceeded 30 mph the air would be sucked out of your lungs.

so you are saying that there are NO parts coming off the space-X ships? not even the exploding bolts holding it all together? it is all just slip fit? no i do not have access to any of this info. it is just a multi-billionaire burning off his excess moneys. maybe one day. but not in 100 years will space be of any value to human's. as the radiation will kill everybody.

(aka proper shielding = very big $$. due to weight at launch).

Theoretically,  ftl drives... hell diesels and gas motors were around long before they were put to use. and Theoretically  longer still. remove the tax payer support for these projects and maybe then something will happen. as living off the tax funnel gives them no reason to ever produce. but privet moneys want something for there investments.

sure we solved the launch to fuel-weight problem.. but at great $$, what is it about $20 grand to launch less than one oz into orbit? some of the "test" motors have yet to do anything. except burn through hugh piles of tax dollars. and some should never be tested close to earth.

then it takes decades to get anywhere past mars. (just a distance thing).

what is it? mars is two au from us?and jupiter is twice as from from mars as mars is from the sun. then same math deal for saturn. etc. i believe that is how the math goes. so many miles, i just do not care.

and then to another star, it makes a trip to pluto look like a lunch date.

That's what I am saying...  starship is 100 percent reusable able to relaunch several times a day with airline type reliability and safety...fully reusable booster and ship...more powerful than a saturn v...

With out your ability to access current information regarding space flight and travel your perception of what isn't possible is skewed....and you can't see the Elon musk goals of becoming a multi planet species is where he is putting his multi billionaire money 💰 

Mars is a 6 month trip 1 way with an ideal launch window opening every 18 months...spacex plan will send hundreds of ships to mars at each launch window... big picture...big plans...big money 

3 hours ago, packnrat said:

and as to fancy medicine. how about giving me a new back, and neck, lungs? bring on the borg. hell they would probable  just trash my body outright.

Lung transplants are already being done, and there have been significant advances in spinal repairs, including disc replacements and repairing damaged nerves allowing people previously considered crippled for life to walk again. There's a long way to go, but advances are happening almost daily.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

53 minutes ago, palmeris said:

And I already have 2 artificial disc in my back.

My wife has had a complete ankle replacement about 10 years ago now and it is still working much better than the trashed ankle that they removed. She also had a hip replaced about 5 years ago and has a much improved back from surgery. 

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Lung transplants are already being done, and there have been significant advances in spinal repairs, including disc replacements and repairing damaged nerves allowing people previously considered crippled for life to walk again. There's a long way to go, but advances are happening almost daily.

We have a friend who had both lungs replaced in 2005.   She's still going strong, plays golf in the transplant games almost every year, usually in the top three women finishers.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, palmeris said:

That's what I am saying...  starship is 100 percent reusable able to relaunch several times a day with airline type reliability and safety...fully reusable booster and ship...more powerful than a saturn v...

With out your ability to access current information regarding space flight and travel your perception of what isn't possible is skewed....and you can't see the Elon musk goals of becoming a multi planet species is where he is putting his multi billionaire money 💰 

Mars is a 6 month trip 1 way with an ideal launch window opening every 18 months...spacex plan will send hundreds of ships to mars at each launch window... big picture...big plans...big money 

so there are no parts falling off during the launch?  or deployment of objects into a orbit? not even the exploding bolts or paint chips?

what has this rich guy done for the shielding of the humans? the radiation is kinda bad out there. and lack of gravity is not good for the body.

i would love to go to mars so i am not a "anti". just a big skeptic. and i do not believe we have the right ships to do this job yet, might not for a very long time.

i am not much of a fan of having a dead persons parts put into me. not that they are from a dead person. but due to the very bad drugs needed to keep them alive in your body. as your body will always be trying to kill them.

all these drugs killed my aunt. (replacement lungs).  guess i am jaded there.

yes i have the "dot" on my dl.

but i did have a battery in my leg to make it grow, the option was cut it off. (long bone crush).

not sure what was done to my neck. (plastic, metal, other bone?). might have to go back in for more work there.

lower back is just good ol aurther. but in some years will require some cutting.

Edited by packnrat

1 minute ago, packnrat said:

just had a full cap fall off a tooth.

That is one of those artificial parts!   😁 Maybe you could put it back with super glue?

25 minutes ago, packnrat said:

all these drugs killed my aunt. (replacement lungs). 

So how long do you think that your aunt would have lived without lungs? Those are kind of important to life. 

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That is one of those artificial parts!   😁 Maybe you could put it back with super glue?

So how long do you think that your aunt would have lived without lungs? Those are kind of important to life. 

she only lived a total of three years after getting the transplant. and was sick from the drugs the whole time.

and i had thought about the supper glue. but it tends to not work right for me. i use it on my model trains all the time. but mostly it just does not work right. as it drys too slow. or gets all over the area i am trying to glue. but i keep trying.

supper glue is said to be a good temp glue for such a thing.

53 minutes ago, palmeris said:

so then the parts are only held together by gravity? not bolted.  might come apart in flight?

true i have not paid much attention to this toy. in a couple decades he will be broke, and maybe someone else could pick up the company for cheap on the auction block.

when his first flight kills the crew. all his funding goes away.  nasa = tax moneys. NOT privet funding.

Good news indeed! If you don't approve of space exploration, you probably should just ignore this post and maybe the entire thread?

NASA releases first image from an in-focus Webb telescope

telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_lab

Edited by Kirk W

On 3/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, Barbaraok said:

We have a friend who had both lungs replaced in 2005.   She's still going strong, plays golf in the transplant games almost every year, usually in the top three women finishers.   

Yes, the medical advances I've seen in just my short 79 years have been amazing. A good friend of ours had a heart and kidney transplant about 15 years ago and passed away last year at 92. He was in reasonably good health until the last few months when a blood infection proved too much to effectively treat. At the time of the transplants, he had been given less than a  year to live.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2022 at 6:05 AM, Kirk W said:

Good news indeed! If you don't approve of space exploration, you probably should just ignore this post and maybe the entire thread?

NASA releases first image from an in-focus Webb telescope

telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_lab

Wow, NASA was using a Bahtinov mask for focusing and alignment!!!  Can't be, but it will be interesting to find out what they actually used.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batinov+mask&ei=S9p5YoyGJMu10PEPzr6CmAM&ved=0ahUKEwjM16-Z_dP3AhXLGjQIHU6fADMQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=batinov+mask&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjoHCAAQRxCwA0oECEEYAEoECEYYAFCxCFixCGDFDGgBcAF4AIABT4gBT5IBATGYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Thanks for posting the picture.  Guess I am going to have to search some astronomy sites for what they actually used.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

MIRI’s Sharper View Hints at New Possibilities for Science

They are getting close to putting this one to work. It is mind numbing to think of what they are doing and might possibly discover. I sometimes wonder that we put such effort into seeing what is "out there" and yet know so little of what is under our oceans?

In other words, under the surface the oceans contain about 99 percent of livable space on the planet. And it’s this area below the surface that scientists know very little about. So why is underwater ocean exploration so difficult?

Ocean vs Space