Help please! Lost power to all outlets and appliances!

Rover

2015 Newmar Ventana LE DP currently in park, 30 amp site with earlier incidents of pedestal breaker tripping. No codes on PI EMS protector. We have an extensive solar install almost identical to Chad’s system with the same equipment if you have read his information. Which if it was working correctly, should have provided any additional power we needed over the 30 amp instead of tripping the breaker. But we scaled back on items anyway and the breaker hadn’t tripped the rest of the day.

Come 10:00 pm and suddenly everything connected to an electrical outlet shut off. The overhead lights still work along with the furnace. The generator will run but still no power. We checked every breaker inside and out that we could find. Nothing had tripped. We reset the breakers. Nothing. The business that installed our system is evidently closed today as all we get is a recording when we call. 
Any suggestions on what to look at next? I thought this morning maybe the transfer switch but have no idea how to troubleshoot that.

TIA,

Vicki 

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

Opened up the box with the transfer switch and found one of the two switches shown below appear to be tripped. Mark says it will not easily move to reset by hand and he is unsure if he should try to force it. Any advice? 

105200EC-334E-4566-91B6-409ECA287780.jpeg

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

Typically an automatic transfer switch selects EITHER shore or Genset power with only one source thereby feeding the main AC distribution panel. However if you have some sort of pass through hybrid Inverter it typically draws from the shore power but if none is there (or limit is exceeded) it will switch over to Inverter to feed 120 VAC to whatever is served by it. Is this a whole house inverter system or limited to certain circuits  ????

So is there 120 VAC at the correct polarity at the parks pedestal itself ????????? Is it being passed through by the EMS ?????? if no codes I expect it would feed 120 VAC to the coach  ??????? if it has a typical auto transfer switch and it sees 120 on the shore power input it would switch that to the RV main power panel, is it GUESS NOT !!!!!!!!!!! If theres no shore power and the genset is working it should switch its power instead to the main panel, is that working GUESS NOT  

I would guess the transfer switch, even if stuck into genset or shore, would get 120 to the RV main panel, BUT IF NEITHER IS WORKING and iffffffffffff theres 120 at the pedestal ???? and iffffffffff power is coming out of the EMS ???? and ifffffffffff the main panel breaker isn't tripped ?????????? I suspect a loose or broken connection  or the transfer switch is in effect neutral NOT latched/closed connected to EITHER source

NOTE I dont know how your switching and inverter are all configured so this may or may not be accurate absent your wiring diagram

NOTE its possible the transfer switch may be in effect open/neutral (neither source latched/closed) in which case NEITHER shore or genset will pass through to the main panel  SEE IF IT AT LEAST HAS 120 ON SHORE SIDE INPUT (when connected to shore power) and Genset side if it works and transfers. If it has INPUT power but neither outputs, thats an obvious problem in switching (relays can go bad) 

You have to start and check for 120 at the pedestal,,,,,,,,,,out of the EMS,,,,,,,,,to the Transfer switch INPUT,,,,,,,,,,then see if either OUTPUT transfer switch has power and if its indeed switched to one of them (NOT either) ?????? then to the main panel and main breaker then to the branch breakers. It could be a loose/broke/open wire or connection versus any of the above individual components BUT YOU HAVE TO FIND WHERE IT IS AND WHERE ITS LOST

Again not knowing your inverter and switching system and absent a wiring diagram this may not be accurate but best i have to offer for now ........I really suspect a transfer switch problem PROVIDED THAT you have power at the pedestal,,,,,,,,,out of the EMS,,,,,,,,,,to the Transfer Switch INPUT  but NEITHER output  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sort of a well duh UNLESS theres some inverter switching issues Im not familiar with  AGAIN CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS INCLUDING INSIDE THE TRANSFER SWITCH

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

I don't recognize what your pictures are of. That doesn't look like any transfer switch that I am familiar with and while I don't do solar, I can't see why a solar install would change the transfer switch The function of that device is to select between the output of your onboard generator or the supply from your shore power cord. 

The lights and furnace work from 12V power and do not need shore power, as is true for the refrigerator(if RV type), water heater, and water pump. You use 120V for things like the TV, refrigerator (if house type), microwave, and your outlets. Do you have a volt/ohm meter to use? If so, I would do pretty much as Old John suggests for 120V power as well as output from the inverter. It also will have a dc scale that you can use to trace the 12V side that comes from the solar panels and the batteries. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks John and Kirk for the suggestions. The problem has been solved thanks to a phone call and some troubleshooting from Chad Heiser. I had sent him a PM earlier. Thanks so much Chad! 

Don’t know how it happened as we were not in the system doing anything, but somehow one of the settings on one of our new Multiplus 3k Inverters just switched itself to off. Something so simple, yet you had to go thru some screens and menus to get there……and being new to us ….. just never even occurred to us that it could just turn itself off in the settings rather than trip a breaker. Technology….lol! We’ll eventually get it all figured out ….. hopefully without more incidents like this one though.

Thanks again,

Vicki and Mark

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

1 hour ago, Rover said:

Thanks John and Kirk for the suggestions. The problem has been solved thanks to a phone call and some troubleshooting from Chad Heiser. I had sent him a PM earlier. Thanks so much Chad! 

Don’t know how it happened as we were not in the system doing anything, but somehow one of the settings on one of our new Multiplus 3k Inverters just switched itself to off. Something so simple, yet you had to go thru some screens and menus to get there……and being new to us ….. just never even occurred to us that it could just turn itself off in the settings rather than trip a breaker. Technology….lol! We’ll eventually get it all figured out ….. hopefully without more incidents like this one though.

Thanks again,

Vicki and Mark

Glad I could help.  If your going to be in the Quartzsite area in January, I'd be happy to go over your system with you and give you a better idea on how everything interacts and the various functions.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 hours ago, Rover said:

Thanks John and Kirk for the suggestions.

As far as I am concerned, Chad is our go to guy for solar on Escapees, or any other forum that I participate in. I used to follow Jack Mayer when he was active on these forums, before I knew of Chad. 

Chad, I hope that you don't mind when I refer others to your website? 

3 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

As far as I am concerned, Chad is our go to guy for solar on Escapees, or any other forum that I participate in. I used to follow Jack Mayer when he was active on these forums, before I knew of Chad. 

Thank you Kirk, I appreciate the kind words.

I don't mind the referrals at all.  it is why the website exists.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Thanks Kirk. I'm still around but have not been frequenting these forums. Mainly because I get grief from some people if  I post anything related to trucks. Since we now own a company that builds them, some people seem to feel that any mention of a truck from me means I'm posting commercial things. So I simply don't come here much any more. 

Chad certainly is able to answer any solar and electrical issues.  And if you want a quality solar design and install he is one of the first places I'd go. Other than myself, of course :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

22 hours ago, Rover said:

Thanks John and Kirk for the suggestions. The problem has been solved thanks to a phone call and some troubleshooting from Chad Heiser

You're sure welcome and you always get the best specialized help from one who has a similar setup 

CONGRATULATIONS

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

22 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Glad I could help.  If your going to be in the Quartzsite area in January, I'd be happy to go over your system with you and give you a better idea on how everything interacts and the various functions.

Thanks for the offer Chad. Would love to take you up on it but unfortunately, we are going to be in Florida in January. We were in Quartzsite last winter. 
Merry Christmas! 
Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

1 hour ago, Rover said:

Thanks for the offer Chad. Would love to take you up on it but unfortunately, we are going to be in Florida in January. We were in Quartzsite last winter. 
Merry Christmas! 
Vicki

Maybe some other time.  I will be in Crossville, Tennessee in April for a rally if you might be in that area around that time.

event.png    

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Where is the rally and who? We have RVing friends who bought a house in Crossville.

As Dan said, it will be the East Coast HDT Rally at Deer Run RV Resort.

event.png    

22 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Thanks Kirk. I'm still around but have not been frequenting these forums. Mainly because I get grief from some people if  I post anything related to trucks. Since we now own a company that builds them, some people seem to feel that any mention of a truck from me means I'm posting commercial things. So I simply don't come here much any more. 

Chad certainly is able to answer any solar and electrical issues.  And if you want a quality solar design and install he is one of the first places I'd go. Other than myself, of course :)

Jack, 

Do you advertise on this forum? I know you at one time had a big presence here and while a few may give you grief about touting your truck knowledge and also selling them, I think they would be a few. Of course if an "administrator" has told you to "Cool it" we would never know about it. Many miss your comments. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

37 minutes ago, lappir said:

Of course if an "administrator" has told you to "Cool it" we would never know about it. Many miss your comments. 

As one of the moderators, I suspect we would know if that had happened and am quite sure that it has not. I always just figured that Jack was too busy with his business to come around. I would agree that Jack is very missed on these forums. 

33 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

As one of the moderators, I suspect we would know if that had happened and am quite sure that it has not. I always just figured that Jack was too busy with his business to come around. I would agree that Jack is very missed on these forums. 

Good to know Kirk. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It seems obvious to me, based on the timing, that Jack reduced his footprint on this forum at the same time that he started his new venture in Kansas. It's my hunch (and only a hunch) that there were those who, for whatever reason, were just waiting to pounce and snipe at anything he posted, claiming everything was commercially related to his business. Jack, being the sensible and civilized guy that he is, very likely decided to just not give them any ammo. I too really miss his input, as he was the primary motivation for my joining this forum. It's not the same without him. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

It's my hunch (and only a hunch) that there were those who, for whatever reason, were just waiting to pounce and snipe at anything he posted, claiming everything was commercially related to his business.

I am quite sure that happened, since moderators receive the reports on posts just the same as the admin do. There are those who try to police the forums. I suspect that happens on any open forum. 

On 12/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, Jack Mayer said:

Thanks Kirk. I'm still around but have not been frequenting these forums. Mainly because I get grief from some people if  I post anything related to trucks. Since we now own a company that builds them, some people seem to feel that any mention of a truck from me means I'm posting commercial things.

Jack,

You've immensely helped me, and MANY others, over the years.  You don't appear to have a thin skin, so I suspect there is a back-story which you would prefer not to disclose.

BTW, I expect to sell my house this spring and will give you a call about building me a bed for my Volvo 770 when I'm close to putting my house on the market.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

22 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Maybe some other time.  I will be in Crossville, Tennessee in April for a rally if you might be in that area around that time.

Actually we will be going thru Tennessee on our way to Indiana in April but it won’t be until after the 17th. I guess it depends on when your rally is.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

21 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Where at in Florida in January ?? I'm in south central Florida that time of year and would enjoy taking a look...

John T

After January 5th, we are going to be following the SKP Boondocking BOF schedule and I think up until January 23rd we’ll be just east of St. Cloud. Then we move to the Three Lakes WMA NW of Kenansville and will probably stay there until February 21st. After that we’ll be heading out of the country for a few weeks. Would be great to meet up with anyone on here. Always love to put faces with names! 
Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

The ECR rally registration will open January 1, 2022. Go to  https://eastcoasthdtrally.com/  and across the banner you will see Registration 2022 ECR.  You will also be able to order t-shirts at that time.  Understand t-shirt orders are NON-REFUNDABLE after March 1 as I have to turn in the order for printing and pay for the order in full.  After March 1, if unable to attend we will attempt to coordinate shipping to you if unable to attend for the shipping fee.  Also please read the disclosures under the 2022 East Coast Rally heading at the above site.  The organizers accept no responsibility for injury or illness that occurs as a result of your voluntary attendance at the rally.  Again we recommend following all CDC precautions in the event of Covid spikes but we will NOT act as enforcers of those precautions unless required by law or an individual or individuals appear obviously ill and at risk of spreading that illness.  We will employ sterility measures for all activities as prescribed by the CDC.

Also please note the registration is JUST for the rally NOT for a camping site.  Please contact Deer Run RV Resort at 931-484-3333 or https://deerrunrvresort.com/  to reserve a camping site or cabin.  Be sure to mention you are attending the East Coast Heavy Duty Truck Rally.  Also be aware the rally organizers have no control over assignment of sites, fees, deposits, or other policies of the campground.

Look forward to seeing you in April.