Visible and Verizon jetpack

I haven't noticed that in the couple of years I've been using my Visible SIM in a hotspot. I just ran a speed test now, and it shows 5.09 x 5.00. That's been pretty typical speeds any time I've tested. Maybe you're just on a tower that gets hammered after 6?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Visible limits speed on phones using hotspot. So by putting sim in the jetpak does that limit also?

Yes... Visible still recognizes the device as a hotspot because, well, it is one.

Dutch

53 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes... Visible still recognizes the device as a hotspot because, well, it is one.

I used hotspot on my visible phone for my Chromebook. It was noticeably slower than my jetpack on Verizon service. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I used hotspot on my visible phone for my Chromebook. It was noticeably slower than my jetpack on Verizon service. 

I expect your Verizon service had much faster speeds than the 5 Mbps limit that Visible places on hotspot use. Then again I expect your Verizon plan was also much more expensive than the Visible $25 (with Party Pay) unlimited everything plan. I've been sitting here watching a nature program on Netflix using Visible's 5 Mbps for the past 2 hours, and I haven't seen any buffering at all. That's good enough for me...

Dutch

On 12/15/2021 at 4:01 PM, brooksrimes said:

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep. That’s why I dropped Visible. It appears to use junk Verizon network.

Since Verizon unlimited plans like Glenn’s are no longer offered, the better option (at least for me) was one of Verizon’s newer data plans:

verizon-hotspot-data-plans-72921.png

I opted for the 100GB “Pro” plan. It's $60 because I’m a Verizon customer already. For a non-customer it costs $90, but it’s a dependably fast network, much more so than Visible.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We had an older Verizon unlimited plan that was slowed constantly.  We recently upgraded to a newer plan that gives us 15GB per phone of prioritized data for the hotspots.  We do not stream, so this works for us.  There is a substantial increase in performance now and since we were "loyal" Verizon customers, it was only a $20 increase in our monthly rate.  It may have helped that I told them AT&T had much better coverage where we are and that I had no problem with switching carriers.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

25 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

It may have helped that I told them AT&T had much better coverage where we are and that I had no problem with switching carriers.

They weren't doing you any favors.  That's a pretty standard Verizon= rate for adding hotspot capability (or even for  adding a standalone hotspot).   The problem for many, however, is that they couldn't last more than a couple of days with 15GB.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I would never claim that Visible is the right solution for everyone, but for $25 it's worth a month's trial if you think it might fit your needs. I use my Visible unlimited data primarily as a backup to my grandfathered $23.50/mo AT&T unlimited data plan that works well in most, but not all, of the places we travel. Is Visible's 5 Mbps hotspot data service as good as the AT&T hotspot service that usually runs at least in the 20-30 Mbps range? Of course not. But it does work well enough to keep us online and streaming when it's the only game in town. And that easily makes it worth $25/mo to me. One of my daughters also uses Visible as her primary phone service, and has had no complaints with it that I know of. And she's not the type to hold back if it wasn't working well for her. ;)

Dutch

I do much the same thing.  My primary hotspot is a grandfathered AT&T Mobley ($23.50/mo unlimited data), my primary phone and backup hotspot is the $25/mo Visible.  I have no complaints with Visible, I often use it's hotspot to feed my tablet when I'm away from the RV.  The only place I've had Visible noticeably slow down was last 4th of July at the Salida Convergence when there were so many people in town that the local WalMart sold out of bread and meat.

Edited by Lou Schneider

For folks using Visible here's a link to a document that explains setting up your phone and using a wireless router. A router will allow you to connect multiple devices to the hotspot. Visible allows only a single connection to the phone's hotspot. The author recommends using a GL.iNet brand router. I'm presently using the GL.iNet Beryl version and it works great. If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page it will explain how to circumvent the 5 Mb/s speed limitation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jKLcBfdChCghgdHYS7ieGGhlUBfj7qFtSwHvZKb913Q/edit

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

• 3 weeks later...

My unlimited VErizon plan expires on Jan 11.  "Unlimited" data at $65 per month prepaid. I am getting set to retire (about time, I am 74). Looking at some of the Verizon plans. Very happy with my 8800. So...when I go to Verizon's website and my account details, they have Unlimited, 5GB, 25GB, 100GB and 150GB.  My history with my Jetpack has never approached a slower speed threshold. We don't stream. Verizon's explanation of the 5 plans includes the speed penalties for exceeding the "high speed data allowance" which seems to exist only for the 5,25, 100, and 150 GB plans, but NOT for the "unlimited" plan. I am asking why not stick with an "unlimited" plan at about $60? Now reading this thread I see other plans from Verizon. I come from an era of party line phones, so I am easy to please. But still also easily confused.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

LarryN: We have the same $65 prepaid Verizon plan and are keeping it, since the plan is no longer offered.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I finally reached a (very nice) human at Verizon. I don't spend a lot of time on "My Verizon" account information, but the expiration is the date of my payment, she said. It has probably been saying that for many months. Glenn, "expire" is their terminology, not mine.  My plan details say "plan expires 1-11-22". She said it "expires" every month on the 11th....

Keeping this plan.

Thanks.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT