Michelin Tire Selection

brunsje

I am currently running 275/80R22.5 Michelin XZA3+ Drive Tires on my Showhauler Motorhome built on na Cascadia 2013 Chassis.

They will need to be replaced within the next year due to aging.

I am confused due to the wide selection of commercial tire offering.

If I stick with Michelin, what specific tire would you recommend?

If I go with an alternative, what specific tire would you recommend?

Thanks, JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Top tier tires are expensive.  Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone.  Some people have brand loyalty and won’t use anything but those tires.  Since we age our tires out rather than wear them out a second tier tire is less expensive and most have a good track record.  I run Toyo steers and replaced my Goodyear drives with Coopers.  Other brands to look at:  BF Goodrich, Hankook, Sailun.  
Again my opinion only others may differ.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Top tier tires are expensive.  Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone.  Some people have brand loyalty and won’t use anything but those tires.  Since we age our tires out rather than wear them out a second tier tire is less expensive and most have a good track record.  I run Toyo steers and replaced my Goodyear drives with Coopers.  Other brands to look at:  BF Goodrich, Hankook, Sailun.  
Again my opinion only others may differ.

I will second the use of less than "Prime" tires unless you are doing a lot of miles or travel in HOT climates during HOT Conditions. 

If you are sitting more than rolling, even the least expensive tires do that well. I went with the lowest priced tires in a recent renewal of my truck and two on the trailer. Was thinking I would have to do more, but the "Cheap" tires the builder used are holding up well and had no weather cracks on the sidewalls. I did move the inner tires to the outside, since they have had very limited sun exposure and maybe I will get another few years out of the. The wheels are sort of embarrassing from living the first 8 years of life out of reach of the "Washing" activity. NO Way I was going to dismount and remount on the outside rims, and now I will have the washed rims looking the same. 

I had the builder take off the "Chrome" things when the trailer was new, maybe I should look at some sort of wheel covers that can stay on going down the road. I usually cover the side that has sun exposure with tire covers, they are getting dingy though too. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On the recommendation of my mechanic, I’ve been running virgin Firestone tires on my truck.  I wanted a reasonably priced and good quality tire knowing that they will never see a ton of miles.  I have a dedicated steer tire on the front and an open side, traction tire on the drives.  I do not carry a spare. 

They have proven to be good, balanced and round (this is important) tires that perform well for me.  

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I'm a big fan of Michelins.  That said, I run cheaper tires in applications that warrant them.  I had Sailuns all around, truck and trailer, on the Volvo.  I had Sailuns on the Mack grain hauler too, but only put about 2,000 miles/yr on it.

The KW came with nearly new Michelin drives and Firestone steers.  I'll never wear them out.

I don't carry a truck spare, but do have one trailer spare.  Last time I needed a spare on the trailer, I needed three.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, needed 3 spares last trip. All valve stems on same side. Crazy. 

I had sudden failure on the middle tire.  The shredding tire caught the pressure sensors on the other two and yanked out the metal valve stems.  Sensors are a two edged sword.  I choose to spend the money on upgraded tires/wheels and skip the monitor system.  YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My truck had Michelin 275/80R22.5 on the steers when I bought it, but they were 15yr old. It rode so nice so I went with new Michelins.    They were about $650 a tire out the door, a little expensive but I figure I probably won't ever have to replace them again.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

We put Firestone on the steers.  this is the second set. Truck came with 10 yr old Toyo's on the front when we bought it in 2014.  Replaced them with another set of Toyo's.  Had a weird wear pattern show up on 1 and swapped them for a set of used Firestones.  Those were replaced after the front end rebuild with another set of Firestones. Total mileage from when we bought the truck to now is a little over 230k. 

Rear tires are Hercules all position closed shoulder. We have around 180k on them since 2015 and they are starting to weather check.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

You may not get wat you want. You might have to settle for what's available. I just had to put Yokohama on my work truck. Not what I wanted but they are a good tire. Decent price at $411.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

For those wanting to purchase Michelin or BF Goodrich tires, call Dave Ward of National Tire Concierge Service.  Dave is a Michelin reseller whose prices are much less than FMCA.  He calls Michelin direct to source tires and can find tires dealers can not.  Plus, tires through Dave have a 3 year wheel and tire warranty.  He also signs you up to the free Michelin On-Call, a 24/7 road side assistance program that when called will have a tire of your size, at the NTCS price at your coach in about 2 hours normally.

Dave's price for a tire is your cost for the tire including FET.  He ships the tire(s) to a dealer close to your location in the USA.  The dealer installs them and wishes you a fine day.  The next business day, Michelin charges the credit card you registered with Dave for the tire plus state sales tax where you are and $42 to $45 dollars per tire for the install.  You did not pay the dealer who installed them.

So, if Michelin or BF Goodrich is your choice, call Dave or Wendy Ward at 32 one  6 zero 7 2265 or 32 one  7 four 7  8465.

Dave put tires on my motorhome, SRX tow car and Prius.  The tires for my Prius were not in Houston area but were shipped in from California.  Tell Dave, Rudy said Hi.

Thanks for the info. I am lookin gfor some seer tires for one of our trucks. The wide mixer type tires for a 20,000 lb steer axle. 385 I think. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 1 year later...

Michelin tires tend to have thinner sidewalls and offer a better ride than Toyo's. They are also made entirely of steel, which offers a longer service life. Most premium models offer a smooth long-distance ride, ideal for any RV adventure. Toyo tires are much cheaper than their Michelin counterparts, but most of their models are polyester blended to keep the price down. They still ride quietly, but not quite as smooth as Michelin.