Low injector voltage code...thoughts???

Brad NSW

60 miles from nowhere, heading to Death Valley, yellow check engine lights came on and engine derated.  I pulled over, code was low injector voltage.  I checked wiring harnesses and fuses and nothing stood out.  SO...I cleared the code and she fired right up.  This happened a week ago but we've been boondocking out of cell range.

I've driven several hundred miles since this occurred, with no further codes or check engine lights.  Any thoughts?  Does the computer ever throw false codes or should I be looking for something, based on this one code?

Photo below is the awesome spot we camped in just East of Death Valley.  It's called the Pads and is an abandoned RV park, with a filled in pool, lots of concrete pads, gravity water system that was fed by a huge tank, and a 3 stage septic field below the campground.  Kind of eerie but a great place to explore Death Valley from.

https://imgur.com/J4shNrE

Edited by Brad NSW

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

6 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

60 miles from nowhere, heading to Death Valley, yellow check engine lights came on and engine derated.  I pulled over, code was low injector voltage.  I checked wiring harnesses and fuses and nothing stood out.  SO...I cleared the code and she fired right up.  This happened a week ago but we've been boondocking out of cell range.

I've driven several hundred miles since this occurred, with no further codes or check engine lights.  Any thoughts?  Does the computer ever throw false codes or should I be looking for something, based on this one code?

Photo below is the awesome spot we camped in just East of Death Valley.  It's called the Pads and is an abandoned RV park, with a filled in pool, lots of concrete pads, gravity water system that was fed by a huge tank, and a 3 stage septic field below the campground.  Kind of eerie but a great place to explore Death Valley from.

https://imgur.com/J4shNrE

I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere, but for the best assistance  listing the engine size, make and year would be nice. 

I wish I could help, but I rely on professional mechanics for most of my stuff. I can twist the wrench under the watchful eye of the professional but it usually cost me more. (They still charge by the hour and I'm not nearly as fast as they can be.)

I hope someone with knowledge will be able to respond soon. 

Good Luck, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Check the grounds, by the starter.

Take them all off, clean each one and the block.

Chase the threads with a tap, and clean washers thoroughly.

Reassemble, and spray with fluid film or equivalent. 

Then if it is a Volvo, clean the grounds on the firewall above the pass through.

Lastly, I think it is a Volvo, unplug the ECM connectors and check for green crusties, or moisture intrusion.  Clean and lube the connectors seals and reassemble.

Pull the code on the dash, and see if you can Google the code.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

In my World, Cat diesel tech 25 yrs. Voltage high means there is a open in the circuit feeding that sensor or injector. Voltage low is a short. If I was in the middle of nowhere i would start the engine, and listen for a missfire.  If there is a misfire I would inspect the wiring to the injectors on the outside of the engine for any abrasion or wear. I would then go under the valve cover for further troubleshooting. I am not sure of your ability so I will stop there hope it helps

Thanks all.  Were finally home after a short 18month "road trip".  Rickeieio, yep as sig says it's a DD15 (but i should have put that in the body).  TD1/WRKNRVR/Parrformance...I'll do a thorough check of all grounds, wires, and clean/lube all battery and ECM connections.  Drove from Death Valley to Joshua Tree to home in San Diego, with no recurrence.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Just a heads up, signature lines don't always show up on all phones with the forum software being what it is.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Just a heads up, signature lines don't always show up on all phones with the forum software being what it is.

Thanks Darryl.  Since my flip phone doesn't do internet, I was unaware.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net