U.S. stocks end at records

Kirk W

12 hours ago, durangodon said:

I'm in it for the long run.  It always goes up in the long run. 

This is where age and life expectancy could come into play. If the market tanks, will you live long enough to wait for it to recover? That is the issue for those who are late in life and feel that they have enough to last if everything was in cash. Of course that brings the question, how much will you need and how long will you live. If I base my lifespan assumptions on those of my ancestors, I should expect to live well into my 90's but even that is a guess and who knows what things will cost in another 10 to 15 years? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

31 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

This is where age and life expectancy could come into play. If the market tanks, will you live long enough to wait for it to recover? That is the issue for those who are late in life and feel that they have enough to last if everything was in cash. Of course that brings the question, how much will you need and how long will you live. If I base my lifespan assumptions on those of my ancestors, I should expect to live well into my 90's but even that is a guess and who knows what things will cost in another 10 to 15 years? 

Yes, that's why everyone has to decide for themselves how to invest their money.  I certainly don't suggest that anyone follow my approach.

Kirk, you said it yourself, who knows what it will be like in 10-15 years.   Only thing certain is that if you are in all cash, then you will be short.   And current returns on bonds, money market, CDs are not what one would pin all their hopes on.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

I certainly don't suggest that anyone follow my approach.

I don't share any details of what we are doing, much for that reason.

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And current returns on bonds, money market, CDs are not what one would pin all their hopes on.   

Certainly not at today's interest rates. About the best CD rate that I have seen is 1% if you lock in for 5 years. I have had a few CD's mature since this all began that were bought almost 3 years ago. Even 30 year US bonds are yielding less the 2%. Back in the 1990's my parents had most of their long term savings in bonds that had 8-8.5% yields.

I sure wouldn't want to advise anyone today as things seem to be more uncertain and subject to very rapid changes. I would never have predicted or expected many of the things which we have seen in recent years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

21 hours ago, durangodon said:

Nope.  I'm in it for the long run.  It always goes up in the long run.  I don't get excited over a big rise or or worry over a bad fall.

Amen brother!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire