Got my Starlink today......

Vladimir

It is small, the dish is only 23 inches.

I do have issues with trees around the location so I searched on how to extend the power and router runs.

Here is that link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/m7it6j/length_of_ethernet_runs/

Worth reading, for the other comments in the thread.  Don't know how valid they are!!!

The good news is the BETA is over.  The bad news is they way StarLink is managing the "cells" it appears that RV'ers are not going to benefit from the end of the BETA.

Reading between the lines, the RV version might be limited in scope to deal with the "cell" issue.

It is fishing and hunting season, so will put it up in a few days.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From three days ago:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dutch I don't travel right at the moment and am moving again to a ranch so won't be getting an RV for at least a year. But there seems to be more than one opinion on using it on the road from one guy doing it. We stayed a week many places and can use our LTE Tablets so if we get another full time rig changing addresses every week or so would be sufficient.

I am just posting from one data point that is on the road doing it. I look forward to Vlad's reports on his system too.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Dutch I don't travel right at the moment and am moving again to a ranch so won't be getting an RV for at least a year. But there seems to be more than one opinion on using it on the road from one guy doing it. We stayed a week many places and can use our LTE Tablets so if we get another full time rig changing addresses every week or so would be sufficient.

I am just posting from one data point that is on the road doing it. I look forward to Vlad's reports on his system too.

I'm seeing a number of posts on the satellite forums from folks that can't get Starlink because their area has hit its current quota. Folks with Starlink that are moving are also running into filled quota's at their new location. The relatively few RV'ers with Starlink need to register their new location each time they move, and quota problems have been reported by that segment as well. That should ease as more sats are launched to increase the subscriber capabilities, and the new laser linked sats will eventually reduce the ground station bottlenecks. But until then...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Gotcha Dutch. At least it is happening, as with Musk he might be late but he always executes. He said he is going to do trucks and RVs, I'm sure he will. For now he is building out his Texas satellite manufacturing and launch spaceport. bringing two new Gigafactories online in Berlin and Austin, doubling the Supercharger network worldwide in the the next two years and manufacturing them in their own dedicated factory next to the Shanghai Gigafactory, they have just redesigned the Powerwall systems, Musk is also bringing the Starship along readying for an orbital test soon, as well as setting up space tourism and the Mars mission. I believe the ULA is out because they seem to have just vaporware not any working Mars mission vehicles and they are still using Russian Rocket engines and don't seem to be trying to get free of that limitation for Atlas missions.

So Musk put the Cyber truck, the Model 2, and the New Roadster II on the back burner. 

No excuses he has done more in the last 18 years since taking over Tesla and starting up Space X, the boring company etc. than anyone in my lifetime.

The personal and HQ move to Texas has also taken up a lot of time.

He'll get around to the trucks and RV Starlink as more laser sats are launched as you said.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Gotcha Dutch. At least it is happening, as with Musk he might be late but he always executes. He said he is going to do trucks and RVs, I'm sure he will. For now he is building out his Texas satellite manufacturing and launch spaceport. bringing two new Gigafactories online in Berlin and Austin, doubling the Supercharger network worldwide in the the next two years and manufacturing them in their own dedicated factory next to the Shanghai Gigafactory, they have just redesigned the Powerwall systems, Musk is also bringing the Starship along readying for an orbital test soon, as well as setting up space tourism and the Mars mission. I believe the ULA is out because they seem to have just vaporware not any working Mars mission vehicles and they are still using Russian Rocket engines and don't seem to be trying to get free of that limitation for Atlas missions.

So Musk put the Cyber truck, the Model 2, and the New Roadster II on the back burner. 

No excuses he has done more in the last 18 years since taking over Tesla and starting up Space X, the boring company etc. than anyone in my lifetime.

The personal and HQ move to Texas has also taken up a lot of time.

He'll get around to the trucks and RV Starlink as more laser sats are launched as you said.

And on the 7th day he rested? :D

Dutch

9 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I'm just guessing he desires a little rest after gaining 36 Billion dollars value in a single day . ;)

Yep, it has to be tiring carrying all that money to the bank... :)

Dutch

He will soon ascend into the heavens guys! 😂🤣🤣😉:P

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I remember Stan in 2003/4 calling Tesla a "pump and dump" and that there will never be Tesla electric cars on the road. Now he's  made 36 Billion in one day? Dang! I missed that.

I only tripled my paper money with Tesla in a little over the past year. That is a large block for me. I'm letting it ride as I agree with the analysts giving Tesla a $1200+ price target. Of course last year it went to $900 then dropped and held around $700 for several months. Tesla stock is nothing if not volatile. Even Lynda does not bat an eye when it dips or rises, we are just grateful for all the good things in life.

And they just keep coming. I wish the same for all my friends here.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Signed up in Feb I think the 8th. Still waiting on mine.

As for Stock in this company, its made us a lot on ours. Going to let it ride 5 more years. I think were going to see it go through the roof. Or back down to the basement. But at this time, were playing with his $$. So let it Ride Clyde.

His new Cell phones I think will be the next Giant $$ Maker for him and his stock.

event.png

Pete good to hear another here got in with Tesla - congrats! We have the same attitude and this is our second time with them. We bought 1000 shares on IPO in 2010 at $17-$22.5 and sold at the top in 2018. I took back my principal once it went well over $100 and kept 80% of my stock. From that day on I also have been playing with house money. MY FIL asked us what we wanted to do with a large block of money we were to inherit for sure and we had him buy Tesla shares for us and my BIL lost his by telling him to buy them an oil stock I never heard of before.

I bought again last year after the split when it dropped like a rock. I put a buy order in at $350 and it went down to ~$325 so I got all my shares on the way down and/or up. It shot up pretty quick so I am glad I put in a buy order on the way down with a good guess.

When all four Gigafactories are in full production, and he can turn his attention back to the Cybertruck, Roadster, and energy division I agree, it will continue to climb in its own volatile way.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

18 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Pete good to hear another here got in with Tesla - congrats! We have the same attitude and this is our second time with them. We bought 1000 shares on IPO in 2010 at $17-$22.5 and sold at the top in 2018. Then I bought again last year after the split when it dropped like a rock. I put a buy order in at $350 and it went down to ~$325 so I got all my shares on the way down and/or up. It shot up pretty quick so I am glad I put in a buy order on the way down with a good guess.

When all four Gigafactories are in full production, and he can turn his attention back to the Cybertruck, Roadster, and energy division I agree, it will continue to climb in its own volatile way.

I only wish we had put more into it. But as you know we all make choices. Some turn out good. Others well we only see a - return.

Father In Law Bought Apple at the start. Now that was a buy of there life's. Father in Law hated selling early up to his death. But he did get to see a Million out of it before they sold.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

Rivian is about to IPO and I am way too liquid right now earning under a half percent in a money market account because I am reinvesting it very soon. I was holding that large block for a Starlink IPO but Rivian will have the EV truck and Delivery van EV market almost to themselves and Amazon has committed to buying a large number of their vans. That could cause the same jump the Hertz buy commitment for 100k Model 3 cars did for Tesla just now. That is 10% of production.

So I'm looking at Rivian and deciding. What fascinates me are the videos of it rock climbing completely stock except for mudder tires! Check them out on YouTube.

They are in production now and I am getting one. Regardless of whether I invest in their IPO I think this guy has the guts and perseverance  similar to Musk to make at least this company happen.

But Starlink is a definite investment too.

I'll PM you with more and get off

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Update on Starlink....but I am still hunting.

My friend that I am hunting with ordered his system in Feb.  Got it delivered last week.

He said he was going to wait to put it up, but I told him my manual had NO WORDS only pictures, so how hard could it be.

With a full bottle of wine, and increase in his tremors, he went out to install the dish.  It worked.  

While we are hunting his wife is binge watching TV on Starlink.  It met her stamp of approval.

I still have the issue of trees on my property, so when I get home will be able to report more on that.

I almost took my StarLink system "hunting", but when you transfer to a new cell that is fine if there are slots available.  However, when you go back to your "home" cell, that slot might be filled and you will have to wait for another slot.

So I decided to not risk it, since it is for my business.

Any specific questions folks are interested in...when I get back home in a few days?

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Vlad I am thrilled for you and your friend who now have high speed broadband. I would like to know how effective the router side is at covering the whole house and the yard maybe?

How were you connecting to the Internet before? Cell phone?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I asked because I have two of these exact mesh network routers I can't use with my Centurylink gateway. That is the one thing I might pay the extra $35 a month for Starlink to be able to use: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1309402-REG/linksys_whw0302_us_velop_wireless_ac_2200_tri_band.html

I bought them before we moved to use here and they have been in the box the whole time. Never even plugged them in. I checked the Starlink router manual and there is an open Ethernet port so they would work fine with it. They can be configured to be a separate network or pass through and just mesh the network they are attached to for max speeds in network.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

I checked the Starlink router manual and there is an open Ethernet port so they would work fine with it. They can be configured to be a separate network or pass through and just mesh the network they are attached to for max speeds in network.

Check that on Starlink Reddit. I've seen mixed opinions on using this port.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Z ,I did check there after your post, thanks. It seems that some no tech types are trying to use an Ethernet splitter rather than an Ethernet switch. I have and use a Trendnet TEG-S50g Gigabit 5 port switch which has never had an issue. I can't imagine why someone would use a splitter for Ethernet switch functions.  

Here is the page on the Starlink Reddit that has many threads on this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/search/?q=ethernet port&restrict_sr=1&sr_nsfw=

For current and future Starlink owners a switch works just fine.

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-GREENnet-Switching-Protection/dp/B001QUA6R0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1548276151&sr=8-3&keywords=TEG-S50g&linkCode=ll1&linkId=bbe96bc13fdbfdf7d32ecf04e25ab80b&language=en_US

They make an 8 port switch as well if you need more ports. Don't get hung up on managed versus unmanaged switches as unmanaged will serve most users just fine.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

SpaceX reports Starlink out of Beta, but chip shortages are delaying user terminal shipments:

https://www.teslarati.com/starlink-exits-beta-production-chip-shortage/

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch