Need opinion on this RV

etcetera

The Ford gasser 5.4 is a V8 version of the V10, but may not have been available in the E450 chassis. It definitely wasn't in the F 450 chassis. It's got a lot of miles under its' belt, with minimal issues.

Every thing is a tradeoff.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

18 hours ago, etcetera said:

I am definitely not interested in the 5.4L, not sure how that came up. It's slow in a full size pickup, let alone a much heavier / bigger RV.

It came up because you keep insisting on a unicorn V10 F-450 chassis. Now you're switching to GM based RVs. You'll be stuck with a 6 liter gasser, as the 8.1 ended too soon.

Pick a lane, and stay in it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:05 AM, etcetera said:

Should I avoid the 6.0L completely? This does not look too enticing.

Avoid?  My advice, RUN!  Run away very fast. 

They can be bullet proofed, but that involves making it a $10k fine or more if the EPA catches you.  New head studs, remove the EGR unit and a few other items.  Do it right, should run $3-5k, depending on who does it.  Then you will need to have the puter flashed, IF you can find a company to sell the the software.... EPA went after/are going after those ppl with huge fines so no reputable programmer will sell it to you. 

I had a 2005 F250, sold it because I wanted a won ton dually.  I talked to the guy that bought my truck from the stealership a month later.  Towing a small boat, the engine, with 30k miles on it, took a dump.  Luckily for him it was within 30 days, the stealership put a new 6.4 in it for him.  It cost the dealer, 18k.  So, I will repeat what I said earlier, RUN! 

IMHO

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I really like my V8 Ford 3 fitty with 6.2 gasohol / 6 spd TorqShift for a tow/haul won ton. Not sure if that engine is available in the rv world? 

I've always been too chicken to venture into the world of Ford diesels. Bullet riddled or not. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Okay, forget the above one. Back to the drawing board. Found this item, opinions?

I think it fulfills all of my criteria.

1) Truck front (C4500) with easy access to engine.

2) Low mileage gas engine (8.1L Vortec) - do not want diesel at this point

3) Discreet, semi-stealth, I don't something that screams "someone lives here"

4) Location - Florida. Can go there from DC area and register it there.

5) Size - not too large, not too small.

6) - it needs to be converted into an RV so I figure that's at least 10K but the upside is, I get to configure it exactly the way I want it and do it gradually.  I have never seen an RV floor plan that I liked. 

Opinions?

What's a reasonable price for it?

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2008-CHEVROLET-C4500-5016955601

the above is 20-passenger, then there is this option, 24-passenger:

https://www.snautolocators.com/2008-chevrolet-c5500-startrans-bus

Edited by etcetera

I think to myself - less than 39,000 miles in 13 years - hmmm?  What, exactly, has this thing been doing during that time.  That is less than 60 miles per week.  Is that one 12 mile round trip per work day or short 72 shuttles and a lot of idling?

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

9 hours ago, etcetera said:

4) Location - Florida. Can go there from DC area and register it there.

And how would you propose to do that? You would need to domicile in Florida but are employed in Washington DC? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am planning to relocate either to FL but more likely to Texas due to this new vax mandate. I am in IT and have to go where the jobs are. Texas is currently number one on my list, I identify ideologically with it. I am currently in Northern VA.  They are not putting up a fight against the mandatory vax. I will do so at a huge pay cut but this situation has become completely unacceptable.

Thus I am back to the same old dilemma what to do, get a TT+ trailer, or a class B, or C, or a conversion bus.

A shuttle bus is *a lot* more discreet than one of these class C Rvs. Not as discreet as an  Amazon delivery vehicle.

which all might be a moot point if I can find a campground near my potential workplace. NoVA is absolutely terrible with campgrounds. Most of the east coast is. They are far away, expensive and generally just not an option. That's what prompted my search for a discreet B or C class. Also I've never done a conversion, it will probably take me 6 months if not a year.

2 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I think to myself - less than 39,000 miles in 13 years - hmmm?  What, exactly, has this thing been doing during that time.  That is less than 60 miles per week.  Is that one 12 mile round trip per work day or short 72 shuttles and a lot of idling?

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

That is certainly a most interesting question.

I do know you can pull engine hours from the computer..

• 2 years later...

I know thus is an old thread but I have a 2006 28 ft with the 6.0 powerstroke 4x4. It's been bulletproofed. It's studied, Bullet proof EGR cooler and remote oil cooler. The engine was pulled from the front. It has a diesel generator. It pulls up the mountains without downshifting. 

1712103961424522096541545808246.jpg