Need opinion on this RV

etcetera

Looking at this 2006 Isata Dynamax F-series - it's the IF-310 model that's 31' with 2 slides, the chassis is F550. PSD with 55K miles on it. 

The asking price is $66,000 and it has been listed for several months, apparently with no bites.

Talked to the dealership that represents the owner, he suggest I make an offer.

What's a good price to offer, 50K seems to low, maybe knock  $10K off the price? Offer $57,000?    It is 15 years old.   

rv1.jpg

RV2.jpg

I went to NADA to have a look and was really surprised!  They list average retail at $70,700 and low retail at $58,700! With that said, in the current market an RV is worth whatever you can get someone to pay, so with this one having been for sale for so long, I think that you are probably in about the right area for an offer, but if you really want it be sure that the salesperson knows that you would be interested to hear the seller's counter offer. The other thing that I would do is to stipulate with any offer that it is pending the passage of an inspection by a qualified RV inspector. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good point and thanks for the reminder. 
Out of curiosity, what was the retail price on a new one (the 2006 IF-310 model as pictured above).

The other thing that I would do is to stipulate with any offer that it is pending the passage of an inspection by a qualified RV inspector.

Edited by etcetera

45 minutes ago, etcetera said:

Where is it located?

The dealership is in TX but that doesn't mean the RV is there..

Guess you'd have to call. I just did a Google for the one you're interested in & this came up.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

Better look at the Ford 6.0 for those years. Lot of engine work unless it’s been bulletproofed 

You mean ....better NOT look at the 6.0L

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

15 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Bad thing about a 2006 Power Stroke is it will be a OH, No 6.0.

Ken

I thought 2006 Isata PSD was a 6.0L, what other option is there? The 6.4 and 6.7L came later.

Should I avoid the 6.0L completely? This does not look too enticing.

https://www.littlepowershop.com/blogging/are-the-ford-60-powerstroke-diesels-just-junk-with-too-many-problems/

I think I am going to pass on diesel altogether, just too many potential problems.

I have always been kind of a big block gas engine type person.

Realistically, something like this is a much better choice all around (for me):

It's a 25' E-based with Triton V10 6.8L. Cheaper and being compact easier to deal with. Also much easier to find than the F-series. Why, oh why can I not find an F-series with the base V10 gas engine? I do not need the more expensive and less reliable powerstroke.

https://www.shoppok.com/corvallis/a,38,116805,2005-Dynamax-Isata-Touring-Sedan-250SL----39995--30-small-rv--39-s-to-choose-from-.htm

We bought a 2004 f350 with our last fifth wheel it only had 72000 miles and before we started using it we had it bullet proofed and a programer for towing and never had any trouble out of it. The point is if it hasn’t been bulletproofed do it before you get stranded for 2-3 weeks. Would not have hesitated to take off in it with the trailer after it was done. 

Bulletproofing usually involves removing the cab and front clip from the chassis. Any major engine work, too. Good luck with that, when the house and truck cab are married as closely as they are. Can anyone say "Leaks"?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Who makes a B or a C class on the gm chassis, I have had good luck with GM motors, although Ford 7.5L was also most excellent. After reading all the diesel stories, I am getting concerned. Plus I don't really need it as ideally for me, something in the 25-28' range works. Not towing a mountain.

A truck front is a nice benefit but you can't have everything apparently..

Don't forget, you are asking for opinions and feelings from remote eyes. I've bought several 6.0 Ford F-series pickups, and done the work needed to build a reliable tow vehicle. The trick is to make sure you don't pay too much, initially. The 6.0 engine reputation makes a great bargaining chip, but be careful of anyone advertising their engine has been "bulletproofed". That phrase has been trademarked by a single diesel shop, but has been used ad nauseum by others. Each shop has a different definition of their "bulletproof" package, and some cut some pretty serious corners.

Ford's 6.0  engines aren't for the faint of heart, but they can be a reliable powerplant. They can also turn into a money-pit for the unprepared.

If you can get it cheap enough, put some of the savings aside, to pay for the inevitable. With any luck, it won't be needed, but better to have and not need.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have a feeling for me it will be the "money pit" clause.

I do light vehicle work and am pretty familiar with gas engines, can do spark plugs, water pumps, even survived a timing belt once. I never dig inside, heads are beyond me. But a PSD ... don't think so. 

The whole nature of RV is to go and be in the middle of nowhere. I don't stay in campgrounds near civilization.  Thus the likelyhood is something will break in the 6.0L PSD and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I think I am going to back to the drawing board and will look either for the gas V10 motor or the GM alternative.

Edited by etcetera