iPhone owners plagued by 'no service' bug after iOS 14.7.1 upgrade

RV_

The article hot-linked to about trusting Apple raised an issue that wasn't even on my radar! Good reads.

Excerpt:

"What seemed like a small update has, for some, turned into a huge headache.

Over on Apple's support forum, there are several threads from users complaining that iOS 14.7.1 broke their iPhones, causing a "no service" problem where users are unable to connect to cell service.

There are similar threads on Apple's developer forums as well.

While there doesn't seem to be a pattern to which phones are affected, I've seen reports of everything from the iPhone 6 to iPhone 12 affected, and the cause is clear -- upgrading to iOS 14.7.1.

Must read: Do you trust Apple?

As to fixes, Apple has a support page that goes through a lot of different things, from rebooting to removing and reinserting the SIM card to nuking the network settings, but nothing seems to work.

And tech support from the cellular providers is also proving to be fruitless.

So, what's the fix?

I hate to say it, but right now it seems like it's a case of waiting for Apple to release a patch. If you've not applied the iOS 14.7.1 patch yet, you might want to hold off applying it until Apple releases an update.

Hopefully this isn't like the notifications bug, and a year from now we're wondering why Apple hasn't fixed it."

That article and more is here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-owners-plagued-by-no-service-after-ios-14-7-1-upgrade/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}&eh={%24CF_emailHash}

Here's the Apple support website about it and I don't see a fix for those affected inthe last two days: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253039249

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Several reports - really.   I couldn't find more than  4.  Even then, I bet MOST RESPOND TO COMPLETELY SHUTTING OFF THE PHONE, count to 10, then turn on again and let it reboot.   This is the response most of the time.   People put the iPhone to sleep, but very seldom to a hard shutdown.   It has been quite awhile since the upgrade came out - so this wasn't an immediate problem. But then, every negative thing about Apple must be turned up and amplified as much as possible.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

18 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

People put the iPhone to sleep, but very seldom to a hard shutdown.  

I recently read an article from Norton that said doing a periodic reboot of any smart phone should be the most frequent security step. The author suggested a minimum of once each week.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 8/21/2021 at 11:49 AM, Barbaraok said:

Several reports - really.   I couldn't find more than  4.  Even then, I bet MOST RESPOND TO COMPLETELY SHUTTING OFF THE PHONE, count to 10, then turn on again and let it reboot.   This is the response most of the time.   People put the iPhone to sleep, but very seldom to a hard shutdown.   It has been quite awhile since the upgrade came out - so this wasn't an immediate problem. But then, every negative thing about Apple must be turned up and amplified as much as possible.

Excerpt:

iOS 14.7.1 users complain about 'No service' bug after updating their iPhones

renderTimingPixel.png

297 comments

^^^^^^  That's from the Reddit thread referenced in Apple Support thread above. 297 comments mostly folks with problems with their phones. 297 is not less than four.

You can sure tell who does not read the links then contradicts Apple support and fellow iPhone owners. If you folks just want to try to bully me into posting issues with other operating systems but never the church of Apple, sorry, everyone here can click on the Apple link and then tell me only four again Barb. :rolleyes:

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I recently read an article from Norton that said doing a periodic reboot of any smart phone should be the most frequent security step. The author suggested a minimum of once each week.

Kirk did you read the article with everything tried by those with the issue? You didn't see them resetting phones etc. In that article? You have to reboot several times or it does automatically when you reset any phone.

But I agree with you, rebooting regularly gets rid of kludge. Good advice but is off topic as this is about the Apple update no service issue.

Have a nice day!

Hello,

I have an iPhone 11 and I have installed iOS 14.4.7 and since then I do not have the signal or cellular data. It is displayed "no service" or "searching"

I tried a lot of things like : exchage the SIM, eSIM, reset network settings, erase all content and settings....same issues.

It seems that it is hardware problem (motherboard) that Apple probably knows or this version of iOS has some bugs.

Do you have any idea how to fix it except that proposed by our local service to buy a new phone?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

The exactly same thing happened to me: updated to 14.7.1 and lost all cellular connectivity.

Brought the iPhone 11 Pro to a Genius Bar: they run their diagnostic twice and could not find anything wrong, they ran sone RF test in the backroom, no issues. They tried to do a factory reset, no luck either.

They told me my only option was to get the iPhone replaced with the out of warranty program: $549!! And to make it worse my phone is only 13 months old. That's my second iphone that dies within 2 years. Last one was an iPhone 10, it started to reboot constantly after 16 months.

Very disappointed that a $1,000+ phone would not even last 2 years!!!

Reply Helpful (1)

Aug 11, 2021 11:22 AM in response to laurentiu211

Did you try to do a factory reset by connecting your iPhone from a computer? That was the last resort option that the Genius Bar tried on my iPhone 11 which is having the same issue as yours. In my case it did not help.

Aug 11, 2021 1:26 PM in response to creativeshot

The same thing happened to me.

The only difference is my phone is 14 months old and my local service repair propose me to buy a new one because it is problably something wrong with the motherboard that can not see with the diagnostic software.

Aug 12, 2021 1:00 AM in response to Elidev_fr

Yes, I did it. Same issue.

Aug 12, 2021 1:05 AM in response to creativeshot

Look at this video

I am afraid that the update just help the motherboard to die.

User profile for user: lxverbxy56 lxverbxy56
lxverbxy56

User level: Level 1
(4 points)

Aug 14, 2021 5:12 AM in response to creativeshot

Im having the same exact problem on iphone 11, already restore via 3utools as itunes couldn't restore my iphone. No luck with that, i guess the only option is to downgrade ios from before updates. Apple Store won't offer reverse OS as it is not an official way, the best "legal" way to follow now is waiting for the next 14.8 update soon before iphone 13 release in fall, best of luck!

User profile for user: Roowoo Roowoo
Roowoo

(4 points)

Aug 15, 2021 3:00 PM in response to laurentiu211

I have the same issue.

my partner put his sim in my phone and it didn’t work, he then put that sim back into his phone and now his sim doesn’t work still.

he put a new sim in and that worked..

like its wiping the sims or something?

User profile for user: SB222 SB222
SB222

(4 points)

Aug 16, 2021 4:38 PM in response to laurentiu211

Had a similar issue. Apparently this has been a not fixed eSIM bug from 14.7.1.

What resolved the issue for me was:

1. Restoring the firmware from Finder
  2. Erasing all Content and Settings from iPhone

Somewhere in between I deleted the cellular plan on the eSIM.

Also had to go to AT&T to get a physical SIM.

Hopefully that helps.

Aug 17, 2021 6:07 PM in response to laurentiu211

I have same "No Service" problem. Mine is iPhone 7.

Aug 18, 2021 1:02 PM in response to laurentiu211

It's the most updated thread on the iphone reddit right now

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV you had mentioned Apple Support Discussion where Apple users go.  There were a few who posted there, there is a list of things for ppl to do and most cases resolve.   What isn’t know is what apps people are running that were not obtained through App Store.  That’s what usually trips people up. And those are people who go looking for help in other venues.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Apple techs and customers reset the phones. They did not work on reset. When you reset a phone the apps are gone right? Until a backup restore or something.:rolleyes:

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I try to do this once a week. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

34 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Apple techs and customers reset the phones. They did not work on reset. When you reset a phone the apps are gone right? Until a backup restore or something.:rolleyes:

Yes the apps should be gone if you factory reset the phone. But if you go to the App Store you can see what apps you own.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

So, if I back up my phone first, then do a reset, can I follow that with a restore to get my apps back? If so, that would be so much easier than downloading the apps again.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

It’s screwing me up now. I’m starting to lose apps because if I update them they are no longer compatible with my phones software. And I have an iPhone 6. 

And that’s why I got a new phone last year because they said new operating system wouldn’t work on  iPhone 6 and app makers do updates to fit latest operating system.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And that’s why I got a new phone last year because they said new operating system wouldn’t work on  iPhone 6 and app makers do updates to fit latest operating system.  

I had one of the old SE phones and liked it so recently upgraded to the current SE version. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I had one of the old SE phones and liked it so recently upgraded to the current SE version. 

I think I read somewheres "our" old SE's are now the oldest still supported smart phones in the whole world... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 minute ago, noteven said:

I think I read somewheres "our" old SE's are now the oldest still supported smart phones in the whole world... 

But several apps will probably not run on the old SE's (Dave has one of those) because the developers have upped the requirements for their apps.  Dave's fretting because he knows he needs a newer one, but even the new SE isn't as small as his old SE and he wants to stay small so it fits easily in his pocket.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

But several apps will probably not run on the old SE's (Dave has one of those) because the developers have upped the requirements for their apps.  Dave's fretting because he knows he needs a newer one, but even the new SE isn't as small as his old SE and he wants to stay small so it fits easily in his pocket.

🤣 Dave and I have the same initial device criteria - "so it fits easily in his pocket."

12 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

RV you had mentioned Apple Support Discussion where Apple users go.  There were a few who posted there, there is a list of things for ppl to do and most cases resolve.   What isn’t know is what apps people are running that were not obtained through App Store.  That’s what usually trips people up. And those are people who go looking for help in other venues.   

Click here Barb:

Confirmation bias much? :rolleyes: Please link to the ones you say were resolved for this issue/topic who had it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, if I back up my phone first, then do a reset, can I follow that with a restore to get my apps back? If so, that would be so much easier than downloading the apps again.

Linda

Linda I am sorry but I don't own an iPhone. So you will just have to wait for one of your compadres with an Apple to answer. It works that way with Android and before with Windows phones.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I was an early user of Android on a nice HTC phone. I liked it a lot. I was then issued an iPhone by my employer. I liked it a lot. A while later I realized I should charge up the old Android and copy the pictures and whatever else I might have left stored on that device…

But I have forgotten the password. I contact the Android dealer who recommended that tech to me. “How do I access my phone I’m locked out of…”

Noteven, I'm not brand or OS centric, but I am amazed at how when someone with an Apple product asks a question here, like Linda did, they get zip for answers, yet some jump on without evidence and claim any security or vulnerability report is wrong, didn't happen and never even go to the links I provide and become silent or change the subject when I ask for their evidence my post is wrong. One expert here told me they had the wrong information because they searched for my info and they got a different company. I provided the correct link so why didn't that person use it? When I went to that company they said they went to accidentally it said no such thing. That was their CYA for being contradictory yet making it up. Then when they are called on it act like victims being attacked.

Facts don't change because someone does not like them. I don't get upset by bullies or loudmouth denials of facts. There is a clique here and exaggerations are rampant. I've finally realized reading and reading comprehension is a chore for some. So why do they contradict without reading? I think they believe no one else will read the link or facts because they don't.

I don't respond to bullies online or off. I don't get hurt or mad. They are like kids kicking the back of my seat while I am trying to keep the car on the road. The great thing is don't take them home with me and it isn't my job to raise them or their consciousness. However I do have friends here and am not interested in ego and king of the hill games.

Hey folks, when someone asks a question on any Windows or Android topic they get a bunch of answers or folks pointing them at where to find it.

Can anybody with Apple experience answer Linda's question? I just report security issues for all brands.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV my old iPad mini is getting back at me today - we have a classified selling app called Kijiji I use. Anyways the latest update for that app won’t work. Hmm… I look at the app specs - should work on my iOS version. iPad agrees this app will work. 

‘cept it doesn’t. 

That will teach me for telling the story of getting locked out of my Android forever. 

🤣

2 hours ago, noteven said:

RV my old iPad mini is getting back at me today - we have a classified selling app called Kijiji I use. Anyways the latest update for that app won’t work. Hmm… I look at the app specs - should work on my iOS version. iPad agrees this app will work. 

‘cept it doesn’t. 

That will teach me for telling the story of getting locked out of my Android forever. 

🤣

You are running 14.7.1 right?

You have done a hard shutdown, waited a minute or so, then rebooted?

you have not just downloaded the latest update, but removed the app.  Shut down, then rebooted and downloaded the app again?

You notified the developer that it is not working and they have troubleshooted the problem?

Sometimes app updates just won’t work if a conflicting app is on your device.  That isn’t Apple’s fault, but is frustrating until someone figures out what the conflict is and how to fix the problem.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You are running 14.7.1 right?

iOS 12.5.4 which the iPad says is "up to date"

You have done a hard shutdown, waited a minute or so, then rebooted? 

yes

you have not just downloaded the latest update, but removed the app.  Shut down, then rebooted and downloaded the app again?

app was running fine. Issue started when an app update was available - which would not work. I then removed the app - which was still working - and attempted to reload it. It does not reload now, sort of starts to load then sits there.

You notified the developer that it is not working and they have troubleshooted the problem? 

No. I just use it on my iPhone or use the web version.  Fixing their app is low priority. 

Sometimes app updates just won’t work if a conflicting app is on your device.  That isn’t Apple’s fault, but is frustrating until someone figures out what the conflict is and how to fix the problem.

This isn't an "Apple" app it is a commercial app owned by eBay I believe. Not sure what could conflict - nothing else was changed on the device.