RV gas range vs, residential gas range question

Jack L

I am thinking of removing the gas furnace that is under our rv gas range and replacing it with a regular 20 " residential gas range which will give my wife much more oven space. Since the Trailer is in a permanent spot in the Florida Keys we never use it any way.

Does any one see any thing wrong with that.

I guess one of my questions is will the difference between natural gas and propane cause any problem

Jack L

There are ways to convert a stove from natural gas to propane, or if you are buying a new one, specify that you want it to operate on propane. There are still folks in farm and ranch country that have kitchen stoves that are set up for propane. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I know it's not your question, but I would convert to a Induction cooktop, especially in Florida. You will have much less heat to deal with that is wasted and causes cooling issues with your A/C, especially if you cook very much. 

I put in a Residential LP cook top in my home on wheels but use the countertop induction plates so much I built a cover to put over the Residential cooktop and haven't used it in 3 years. I am looking for a Induction cooktop, but want to change my inverter and batteries before making the change so I can be sure to have the abilities to use it almost all the time either in an RV park or on the road. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

56 minutes ago, lappir said:

I know it's not your question, but I would convert to a Induction cooktop, especially in Florida. You will have much less heat to deal with that is wasted and causes cooling issues with your A/C, especially if you cook very much. 

I put in a Residential LP cook top in my home on wheels but use the countertop induction plates so much I built a cover to put over the Residential cooktop and haven't used it in 3 years. I am looking for a Induction cooktop, but want to change my inverter and batteries before making the change so I can be sure to have the abilities to use it almost all the time either in an RV park or on the road. 

Rod

Their only interest is a larger oven.

The 120VAC dual induction units have 1 1,300W and 1 1,800W element, this means you can only use one at a time on a 15A breaker. For that reason we have 2 1,800W single element countertop units(Nuwave) so we may put them on different circuits and use one outside when needed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, lappir said:

Rod

Not interested. We need a bigger oven

Jack L

Let's remember the fridge and water heater, also use the gas lines in your rig. You can , if indeed you are going to keep it stationary just buy a natural gas range of the size you want and hire a plumber to run a line to your range only, then you can keep the propane lines and cylinders for them in case. Since you are stationary you might consider a residential refrigerator as well, and you could run an external 50 gallon Nat gas water heater with an insulation jacket.

Lots of options and both residential fridges and water heaters are cheaper to replace than Propane/12volt/electric RV appliances.

If only a range and you have NatGas lines to your parking place, just run a line to the range. Or convert the whole rig.

More info here: https://www.propane101.com/lpgasapplianceconversions.htm

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We had a GE 24" apartment size range installed in our 5th wheel when we had it built. Much larger oven than the typical RV units. It was converted to LP gas by the trailer factory and has been working great. You will need to have any natural gas ones converted to LP if you plan to use your regular LP gas supply. One item, we did notice is the broiler is electric (Broiling is done in the oven and not in the drawer below) so we need to watch to make sure we are on shore power or generator when broiling, not sure how long our batteries would last if using our inverter.08mlINjl.jpg

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I already have a big residential electric refrig. 

And I found out yesterday from my local Propane dealer that it is a simple procedure to convert a store bought natural gas range to burn LP gas. He said you can request the store to do it , have a plumber do it , or do it myself. (Just make sure I get the conversion kit)

The only other thing I have in the trailer that has gas is the electric/propane water heater, and we keep it on electric continuously

Thanks to all for your comments and answers

Jack L

FWIW a few natural gas appliance brands cannot be converted to LP, keep that in mine when shopping.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Having had a gas stove converted from natural gas to propane before, I strongly suggest that you read this link from petro.com before you begin.  There us also a good article from the Ferrell Gas website

Unlike, natural gas appliances that operate at pressures around 7 inches of water column (WC) or 14.9 millibars, 1743 Pa, or about 0.25 psi (pounds per square inch, a common operating pressure range for propane (liquid petroleum or LP gas) appliances is 10 – 11 inches WC or 27.4 millibars, 2491 – 2739 Pa or about 0.36 – 0.40 psi.

Edited by Kirk W
Add a little more information

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI