hard start while hot

GlennWest

On my last trip we stopped at a rest stop to stretch our legs and bathroom break. Went to fire up the ole freightshaker and it turned slowly but hard. Like plenty of juice but too much load. Tried again same. Waited a short time and then spun good. Done same a few years ago and I assumed weak batteries. Changed them. All had been good. All my batteries connections are good. Went over that while in Huntsville. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Slow crank can be from

- reduced juice to the starter

- bad starter

- increased load on the starter

Typically it is batteries or connections.  I have had starters behave in this manner when they get hot (crank slow when hot but fine when cold).  Just got rid of a supercharged jeep that was horrible for this, it ate starters like tic tac's; but with all the exhaust work done to it their wasn't a great fix available.

Vegas, a hard crank will not be impacted by fuel delivery.  Rather a fuel delivery issue could cause an extended crank. (Assuming fuel delivery didn't flood the cylinders with fuel)

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

1 hour ago, steiny93 said:

Slow crank can be from

- reduced juice to the starter

- bad starter

- increased load on the starter

Typically it is batteries or connections.  I have had starters behave in this manner when they get hot (crank slow when hot but fine when cold).  Just got rid of a supercharged jeep that was horrible for this, it ate starters like tic tac's; but with all the exhaust work done to it their wasn't a great fix available.

Vegas, a hard crank will not be impacted by fuel delivery.  Rather a fuel delivery issue could cause an extended crank. (Assuming fuel delivery didn't flood the cylinders with fuel)

Thanks!

Glenn if you have or can get your hands on a clamp meter check the amps on the battery cable as close as possible to the starter while someone turns the key. Lots of amps but poor cranking rpm starter is suspect. Low amps suspect cable or connection (ground).

When you say your under hood was at operating temperature means the starter was warm too makes me suspect the starter. Heat reduces magnetic wave efficiencies...

Ive been wrong 1000 times before 😃

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Cables can be bad internally.  Feel if the cable is getting hot.  If so, do the amp reading at both ends.  I've had to replace cables that looked fine on the outside, but when split open were green and crunchy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

First is your starter 12 or 24VDC?

I would not spend money to purchase ($100)an inductive amp meter for the starter, I'd just rent one for a day. I mean it's not like you'll use it every month, then it turns into something else that overfills your toolbox.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

First is your starter 12 or 24VDC?

I would not spend money to purchase ($100)an inductive amp meter for the starter, I'd just rent one for a day. I mean it's not like you'll use it every month, then it turns into something else that overfills your toolbox.

12v. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Have you tested cranking amp draw yet, both cold and hot conditions?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961