Tesla quietly adding massive 100 megawatt battery to Texas' power grid

RV_

No links Bruce?  You might want to read centrist non partisan articles and papers more. Here's Link for you. This is the Australian price comparison website where if you are in SA you can use to see if you can get a better price elsewhere. This is a neutral website and points more of a finger over competing special interests and the fact that in a recent Australian study that customers are charged 75% more than it costs to produce their electricity.

Before we start this article details the problems, which began long before your recent battery installations and green schemes. are outlined and given the context makes sense to go with a lot of renewables.

The problems are more to do with the giant areas and long transmission line all over Australia and aging power infrastructure. At the end they lay blame on the real culprits. the problems existed before renewables and has been the incentive to try something new. And yes the move to renewables added some costs to the problem but with the full story it looks like smaller, cheaper, distributed power generation and storage for renewables could be a  major part of any solution.   At the bottom it clearly states that you may be part of the problem.

Excerpt:

"We’ve got some of the world’s largest coal and natural gas reserves, yet Australia has the sixth-most-expensive energy in the world.

Furthermore, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), we are paying 44% more for electricity than we did ten years ago. Ouch.

Something just doesn’t add up.

Why are Australians paying top dollar for electricity?

With electricity retailers, politicians and renewable energy advocates all pointing the finger in different directions, the answer has become more complicated than it should be.

Breaking it down, there are four major factors contributing to an increase in our energy bill: wholesale costs, network charges, retail margin, and environmental costs.

The wholesale costs include the expenses associated with generating electricity. These expenses have increased dramatically over the past few years due to a snowball of reasons leading up to our present day energy crisis.

The instability and closure of large power stations has put strain on the entire electricity network. When the National Electricity Market (NEM) was established in Australia in 1998, there was more generation capacity than demand. The oversupply of energy made prices relatively cheap, however this put financial pressure on fossil fuel producers.

Power stations were forced to produce less electricity at lower prices resulting in the closure of several large power coal plants across the nation.

Now we are faced with an under-supply, not to mention the state of the remaining power stations are not fit for the 21st century.

According to the new Climate Council report, End of the Line: Coal in Australia, there were almost 100 breakdowns at fossil fuel power stations over a seven-month period ending in June 2018.

Furthermore, by 2020, over half of the coal power stations in Australia will be over 30 years old. It comes as no surprise the older they get, the more unreliable and expensive to operate.

Unfortunately, Australia has failed to build enough new generation to replenish the retirement of the current coal plants.

Another large expense contributing to our energy bill is the costs of poles and wires to provide a reliable delivery of energy.

Australia is a large country, and therefore has one of the longest (and most pricey) electricity networks in the world. Keeping poles and wires well maintained to move electricity around the nation is very expensive, and can make up half of our power bills.

The third contributor is the retail margin. This covers the costs of the electricity companies’ administration, marketing and other services.

Numerous studies have pointed the finger at retail margins for becoming one of the biggest causes for current price rises. In fact, a 2017 study on electricity prices conducted by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission discovered the costs associated with electricity companies accounted for a quarter of the average residential energy bill.

Finally, the government green schemes have added an extra burn to our energy bills over the past decade with the Renewable Energy Target scheme (RET), household solar panel grants and other energy-efficient incentives for households and businesses.

While it’s imperative to reduce greenhouse emissions, the schemes have lacked unity and support from the governments resulting in questionable results.

It appears there has been no master plan for Australia as a whole; with state and territory governments sharing the responsibility of their energy supply alongside the Australian Government.

We’ve seen state governments introduce and scrap multiple failed schemes while the Australian Government has rejected policies without even trying them.

So here we are. An under-supply of energy, an aging industry, and no effective policies put in place to help the situation.

So, who is to blame for the rising energy prices in Australia?

Basically everyone.

Yes, that includes us – the customers.

As the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) reported in the 2018 Retail Electricity Pricing Inquiry, customers have become confused, disengaged and too lazy to shop around.

The electricity market in Australia has become very tiring to understand, however a new rule implemented to electricity and gas retailers, which started in February this year may change our relationship with our energy bill.

The new rule ensures electricity companies must inform customers of a price change at least five days prior.

It may be a simple change, yet the goal is to improve the transparency between retailers and customers so we can better understand our energy bills.

While there are many factors behind Australia’s costly energy bills, the good news is we can do something about it.

Shop around and find the most competitive energy plans in your area. You may be surprised just how much you can save by switching your electricity retailer."

Source: https://electricityandgas.com.au/blog/why-is-electricity-so-expensive-in-australia/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RV for every web site that you find I can find one that contradicts your web site. I've got more to do than sit on my butt all day butting heads with you. 

Simple fact is that I'm living this experiment. 

For those who bored ponder this.

The state of South Australia is about 50% bigger than Texas. With a population of just 1.7 million. Compared to almost 30 million. If they can't get it right here what chance in Texas. We have more wind, sun and heat.

RV you continue trying to convince others that your political ideology is right. I'm going camping.

Nice distraction try. Do you claim political ideologies in every converstion when you don't like the facts? I don't do politics.  I simply say the facts disagree with you. So you try to imply science facts and Australian price gouging by producers, the actual cause of your high prices, is not greed but ideologies.. It has never been politics just greed and a lack of maintenance on their part. You guys have a problem with your oil, coal, and gas producers.

Your rhetoric is that before renewables the costs were lower? before the surge in renewables Australia energy was low priced and hunky dory? Lets talk in the ten years of 2003 - 2013.

Excerpt:

"Extent of price increases

In real terms—that is, taking into account the general increase in prices across all goods and services—prices for households increased on average by 72% for electricity and 54% for gas in the 10 years to June 2013."

They state the impact of renewables was 14% after 2013. So prices should not have gone up before 2013 in Australia, right? I was amazed that the prices were so variable between states there. and the amounts of increase were wildly variable. So let's focus on the pre-2013 price increases in gas and electricity in Australia keeping in mind that the cost of production and delivery of electricity and gas is 25% of the prices charged the end users in all of Australia.

"The pattern of price increases over the 10 years to June 2013 has differed across states and territories. In real terms, the rate of increase for electricity has been 30% in Perth, 41% in Adelaide, 73% in Brisbane and 107% in Sydney. For those cities connected to natural gas networks, household gas price increases over the 10 years to June 2013 have ranged from 40% in Sydney to 78% in Perth.

Figure 1: Real electricity and gas price increases, 2003 to 2013

Figure 1: Real electricity and gas price increases, 2003 to 2013

Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Factors contributing to price increases and future outlook

There are three major components of a typical energy bill: wholesale costs (covering electricity being generated or gas being extracted); network charges (paying for the reliable delivery of energy via power lines or gas pipelines); and a retail margin (paying for meter reading and other services).

Energy bills can also include components for Australian and state and territory government-based environmental programs such as those aimed at increasing renewable electricity generation. The share of each component can vary significantly across jurisdictions and for different types of customers. However the cost of transporting energy and wholesale costs typically accounts for around three-quarters of the final energy bill.

Retailers compete for customers on price and other services in all jurisdictions except Tasmania. All states and territories except Victoria and South Australia regulate electricity or gas retail prices in some way. Retail prices incorporate the costs of maintaining and upgrading supply networks, which are largely set by a single Commonwealth regulator under nationally agreed rules. The wholesale cost of electricity and gas prices is largely set in competitive markets. While major electricity and gas wholesale markets are connected across some state and territory boundaries, state and local factors can be an important determinant of wholesale price outcomes.

In recent years, much of the increase in prices has been attributed to the need to invest in the network component because of previous underinvestment in maintaining the network or to increase capacity. Also important has been the impact of policies to address environmental issues.

In the case of electricity, the rate of price increase is expected to moderate in the next few years. Overall, household electricity prices are expected to increase at an average of 3% over the next year, with outcomes varying across jurisdictions from a high of 16% in the Northern Territory to a 1% fall in prices in South Australia.

Smaller electricity price increases are largely the result of recent changes to the regulation of transmission and distribution networks and competition in electricity wholesale markets due to low demand growth. These may be offset in some jurisdictions by removing state and territory government interventions that have kept electricity prices lower.

In the case of gas, prices for households and businesses are expected to increase significantly in eastern Australia, as the development of new gas export terminals leads to a tightening of supply. This effect will depend on how quickly new gas resources are developed"

Source: https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook44p/EnergyPrices

We can all see you have problems in Oz that go back long before renewables and carbon tracking came into being.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I need a hand calculating a battery electric equivalent:

I just used an outdated 2006 Dodge won ton Hummin Cummins diesel to haul some bales on a flatbed goose neck trailer. 

2 trips to haul the loader machine to location and back.

10 trips with bales.

About 7 tons payload each trip, 10ft wide on the deck. So truck 8500lbs, trailer 6000lbs, 14,000lbs payload ...um nothing to see here Weight Police... 

Gravel roads. 4wd action in the loading area, bit muddy, intersections every two miles, 5 x intersection turns, cruise speed max 50mph on the straightaways... 

About 300 miles total hauling miles.  

About 50 US gals of winter diesel burned. 

If I was using a 300hp battery electric tow vehicle, how much battery range would I need to do this work over two mornings on the frost? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I can help as much as Cummins/Dodge could help if you had asked about your diesel with those parameters before you did your diesel work.

However, it will be answerable as soon as Tesla begins selling their Cybertrucks, from the Texas Gigafactory sometime this years I believe. They are a year late now but I expect to see reviews and feedback mid year this year.  Musk always delivers, albeit always late! when ready.

I have heard little but rumors about the charged range on it that are not just rumors. I do know that they did a redesign on some areas for the soon to be produced Cybertruck. They say it is their answer to the  F150.

I'd be interested to see if the final design will fit in my two car garage. The other car would by our Y.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

i do not know of any link. just every college and other so called think tanks get moneys via our tax dollars. via grants, loans etc.

just look at even this new giveaway bill in congress right now. as listed in the news they say “other” projects. so there is trillions in pork each year from our fed tax moneys. and no accounting as to were  each dollar goes.

Yes you are very correct Packnrat but they always get away with it now for many decades.  According to previous "so called experts"  the USA should be experiencing rampant runaway inflation by now but it hasn't happened YET in spite of all the massive government spending for many many years.  So what is next???? Only the insiders know.  Just curious and not concerned as I have invested in.   Capt. Bill, Happy Camper.

Here's a link you can save to show Pork: Subsidies link click here

Now that we are winding down oil use for transportation in the next couple of decades those oil and gas subsidies should go away.

If these things really concern you look them up and refer to your congress critters to object to them specifically.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

"Now that we are winding down oil use for transportation in the next couple of decades those oil and gas subsidies should go away".

RV are you going to be the one to tell the trucking industry that they will be pulling into Flying J to plug in every few miles? How about the railroads? Who's going to tell BNSF or UP they will have to convert to electric locos? Same with the airlines? Huh? All those fancy EV cars coming from Asia on a battery powered ship.

The first electric car was way back in the 1800's. We are still waiting.

And no I haven't got a link to the common sense web site.

The monies from those subsidies will only get spent somewhere else.

I'm not one who buys a new car and the used cars I buy usually hang around for 10 years or so.  So I'm not in the demographic to buy an EV.  At least not for another 5 years or so.  These discussions are interesting to me.  What I really want is to program my car to drive across Texas while I sleep or read....

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Bruce

FLcSsptl.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Folivier,

I was the same frugal car, sports cars, van, truck, motorcycle and AWD Subarus and Troopers buyer, used only, for most of my life. I always paid cash and never paid for collision insurance, just liability, uninsured motorist, and would only have to pay if it was my fault. I only had other cars hit mine when it was parked and I wasn't in it.

Since I restored and built classic sports cars, bikes, and Hot VWs I usually made double my money or more on my vehicles and more important, I had a blast!  I usually kept them from three months to a year at most with three exceptions, all Diesel Rams for towing. My first new vehicle was my 1996 Harley Electra Glide Classic on a special sale for overseas military. My second our 2019 Subaru Forester, and now the third my Tesla Model Y from last year.

The Model Y loaded, AWD with two motors, long range battery pack, all glass roof, leather interior onboard streaming and Internet radio are ~ $50k, less than some pickup trucks and loaded Toyotas.

The model Y comes also with, as standard, all the cameras and the computer required for full self driving. It is still in beta and I expect it out of beta in the next three or four years or less. Then I just pay for the software which was $7k at purchase.

Musk also announced the new Model 2 compact Tesla which will sell for ~ $25k in the next few years.

I expect pretty soon you will be able to have your Tesla drive you wherever you want to go. And charging stops every five hours or 250 miles (My Y's range is 326 miles on a charge) will be under 20 minutes, just enough time to stretch my legs and walk my dog, use the restrooms, and grab a snack. Then get back in and command it to continue. Mine is white and with the black trim looks like a Star Wars trooper so I named it Storm Trooper because it can't shoot either! LOL

8ynCpMXl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV a troll is only someone who you disagree with and have to revert to name calling. Sad when it's not appropriate for anyone to have an opinion other than the one you yourself have.

But this is how the world is now working. Those who disagree simply shout down or censor those with opposing views. Seems a tactic all too come to certain groups.

2 hours ago, bruce t said:

RV a troll is only someone who you disagree with and have to revert to name calling. Sad when it's not appropriate for anyone to have an opinion other than the one you yourself have.

But this is how the world is now working. Those who disagree simply shout down or censor those with opposing views. Seems a tactic all too come to certain groups.

I agree 100% with you Bruce.  However I am a big fan of RV and appreciate his many constant detailed reports on all things technical.  By the way I am not a troll or peeping Tom or even a spy. It's all good fun and Grins to all around.

"Oh Mercy me what is this old grandma to do" said Marlon Brando in a movie. 

https://www.facebook.com/Bill-Perkins-at-Lake-Tahoe-Crater-Lake-Black-Rock-Desert-and-PNW-1061410727212374

1967 photo of Bill Perkins with his emergency ambulance, Temple, TX

548046325_verylargezoomedphotoofBillPerkinswithHarperTalasekemergencyambulances.thumb.JPG.8ad76edd7dcad157bd1482c4ce3b47e2.JPG

368-cwo-bill-perkins-with-507th-dustoff-hoist-helicopter-sid.jpg.0b86834c3a6da7fc03d2a266cfaa1f37.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

We arrived here in Mathis Texas thursday. Wind generators everywhere. Also more being build just down the road a few miles. Don't know if heaters are going on them or not. Texas sure believes in clean energy though. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Kirk W locked this topic