Semi Truck Exhaust...

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Ok, so our exhaust piping is officially Holy.... most shops where we are are quoting $1000+ to replace from turbo back- either into a weedburner or a single stack.  

What are some sources that I can order pipe, clamps and hangers from? 

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Try another shop. I put a weed burner on my truck before I really ever started with it. It was expensive at the place I used. Two years ago the muffler went out and the shop I used replaced it for penny's it seemed. I used them again to evacuate and recharge my AC and it was 3 times the cost of the guy 10 miles away who usually took care of me but was in the field when I needed it done. Next time I will plan better or wait. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If you are even remotely skilled with a wrench you can do it yourself. Replacing the entire exhaust is a piece of cake. Replacing part of the exhaust can be difficult as everything is rusted together.

Just get parts from the dealer. Then you know you all the right stuff.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

11 hours ago, jenandjon said:

If you are even remotely skilled with a wrench you can do it yourself. Replacing the entire exhaust is a piece of cake. Replacing part of the exhaust can be difficult as everything is rusted together.

Just get parts from the dealer. Then you know you all the right stuff.

That's what I'm planning on doing.. Most Volvo dealers are higher than buying the parts if their generic, and having an old Cummins engine sometimes confuses the young parts counter guys...

The only thing Parrformance left out was the turbo exhaust piece for Cummins... and I need to see what hangers are under mine.  Easier to replace with the same type hanger than trying a new style mount.

Jim's Adventures

22 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Who is Mr????

Thanks for the layout pic, that actually helps.  Their prices are on the higher side but it is stainless.... decisions.... Any idea how long an aluminized system will last? 

Jim's Adventures

6 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Who is Mr????

Thanks for the layout pic, that actually helps.  Their prices are on the higher side but it is stainless.... decisions.... Any idea how long an aluminized system will last? 

I've had my truck for 16 years. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm getting about 10 years out of the exhaust system. Maybe longer, if you consider I only replaced the stack last time. The run from the exhaust manifold back seems to last forever. Jay

Jim, I received an email a couple of months back from truckpipesusa.com that most all exhaust parts, clamps, etc. were in short supply due to Covid (I posted this on the forum).  Many items they stock were on backorder.  You might want to call and check on availability of parts before you get into the problems of order delays.  I decided to put my exhaust upgrade on hold until parts (and maybe prices?) were better.  Besides, it is cold and wet and mine would be outside work.  If you can find what you need in stock somewhere it might be wise to get them before someone else does. 

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On 2/18/2021 at 6:19 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Who is Mr????

Here in Florida an aluminized system will last as long as the truck will.  Not so sure in the areas where they spray the ice melt solution on the road.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 2/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, RandyA said:

Jim, I received an email a couple of months back from truckpipesusa.com that most all exhaust parts, clamps, etc. were in short supply due to Covid (I posted this on the forum).  Many items they stock were on backorder.  You might want to call and check on availability of parts before you get into the problems of order delays.  I decided to put my exhaust upgrade on hold until parts (and maybe prices?) were better.  Besides, it is cold and wet and mine would be outside work.  If you can find what you need in stock somewhere it might be wise to get them before someone else does. 

I'm running into the lack of parts/empty supply chain in my job as well.  Once I figure out exactly what I need I'll source all I can locally if the price allows.  Not crawling under this rig for a few days at least, with a week of rain/ice, the ground is a wee bit wet...

11 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Here in Florida an aluminized system will last as long as the truck will.  Not so sure in the areas where they spray the ice melt solution on the road.

We have tried hard to stay away from driving when roads have been sprayed.  Maybe 1000 miles since 2014 and have always kept the undercarriage washed as much as possible.

11 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Just a proper sign of respect.

Still grateful to you and Miss Alie

We're just happy that we were able to pass along a way that helps to spend your children's inheritance!

Jim's Adventures

16 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I'm running into the lack of parts/empty supply chain in my job as well.  Once I figure out exactly what I need I'll source all I can locally if the price allows.  Not crawling under this rig for a few days at least, with a week of rain/ice, the ground is a wee bit wet...

We have tried hard to stay away from driving when roads have been sprayed.  Maybe 1000 miles since 2014 and have always kept the undercarriage washed as much as possible.

We're just happy that we were able to pass along a way that helps to spend your children's inheritance!

So far so good should run out of money long before I pass at this rate😂

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

If you are not going to work on it for a little while you should start spraying all the nuts with some good penetrating fluid. PB blaster works really well.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

12 hours ago, jenandjon said:

If you are not going to work on it for a little while you should start spraying all the nuts with some good penetrating fluid. PB blaster works really well.

Got my PB Blaster ready, and a little acetone and hydraulic fluid mixed as well.  It's gotta dry out enough here that I don't drown under the truck...

Jim's Adventures