A question for full timers who stay for a few months at a location.

lappir

Not sure why I did it, but maybe the extreme higher price for a month and a week stay. I have been at this location for over three months and paid my 4th month a week early  for next month and reported my end date and wanted to settle that at the same time. The usual is $550 per month plus utilities. My first month of utilities was less than $40 and last month it was a little higher but less than $50. The first rental payment included a $100 deposit against the utility charge so it was $650 and that was fine. On Saturday I paid my last months rent for the month and a week of occupying my site a $22.95  electric charge and the amount was $822.95 They charged me $250 for a one week additional stay.  Raising my daily rate from $19.64 per day for 28 days  to $22.87 per day for the 35 days. I think that is very unfair. 

I have not yet approached the management. There are two persons who alternate being at the desk and I'm not sure which one is actually in charge. One is there more often, but they drive similar white pickup  trucks so I might think I saw one truck when it was actually the other. I'm thinking on my departure I will question the charge when I get my electric deposit back. I will not be leaving without at least that money in hand. 

It's not likely I will stay here again and I will with hold my poor review until after I depart unless they really step up. 

What's the consensus??? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Daily is higher per night than weekly. Weekly is higher per night than monthly. Monthly is higher per night than seasonal. No mystery.

ETA: Don't use the threat of a poor review as a weapon, you'll likely be laughed out of the office.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We were getting ready to leave and found problem with truck. Cost for 2 weeks as much as a month is. So paid for a month. Will leave when we get ready. Just the way parks charge. You will, at least I always have, get your deposit credited to last bill.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I don't know  if it is common but I have been few places in some states or local areas that have a much higher daily and weekly fee. There is some kind of deal where they are a taxed at a higher rate for that rental but if you book for 3 months or longer it is quite a bit cheaper. The first time I ran into this was near Memphis Tn.  I have stayed at a different park a little further out  of the town itself and though he is supposed to do the same he will often fudge and charge a reasonable flat fee if you have been a good tenant. usually this is done for no more than 14 days and is done in cash. The park did not really want to rent for less than 3 months because of this I assume local law.

General rule of thumb is a week is equal to 5 or 6 times the daily rate, and a month is about 2.5 times the weekly rate.   3 months or longer, usually drop significantly, which any snowbird knows about - you go for a min 3 months to get the best rate in the winter in snowbird country.   Lots of parks in Arizona now will give all the Fall (Sept-Dec) for one flat fee no matter how long you stay.  So a lot do come in sometime in October (most don't do Sept though more and more big rigs do it if they have 2 or more Acs) until the end of December and then move farther out to cheaper parks for Jan-March.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We had an occasion at a South Texas RV park where we paid for a week (electricity included in the rate), and then extended for another week at the same rate, only to be charged for electricity for both the first and second weeks when we checked out!! When I called to fix what I thought to be a mistake, I was told that all stays of over a week pay for electricity separately.  No matter that I'd paid two separate weekly rates!! 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

The answer is it depends.  When we leave in the spring it is often not right at the end of a month.  Often it is a few days into the next month.  That park charges us a pro rated daily rate based on the monthly charge for the extra days.  I think this is due in part to it being off season when we leave.

Conversely, the prior FL park charged daily or weekly rate for the extra time.

So it depends.  Ask before you book. And post the information in the review.  I don't necessarily mark a CG review down for this policy.  I do try to review CG's on Campendium for others' information.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

21 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Daily is higher per night than weekly. Weekly is higher per night than monthly. Monthly is higher per night than seasonal. No mystery.

ETA: Don't use the threat of a poor review as a weapon, you'll likely be lughed out of the office.

I don't even mention the review to the location I review, but don't hold back if I feel something is unfair or not worth the money. I will ask if they realize the huge increase in the daily rate with the charge of their normal "Weekly" rate as the norm for an additional week for a long term stay. 

My thought is one shouldn't have to ask others to be "Fair" it should just happen. If they are being unfair I hope they accept the consequences and maybe learn from it. Part of a problem with society, no or few consequences for actions against others. It's just accepted all to often be it right or wrong. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Different parks have different policies, and sometimes they differ even though the parks are within 2 miles of each other.

I once talked to a park about staying for 6 weeks.  I had figured what the cost would be based on their published rates for 1 month (I was going to arrive the 1st) and then 2 weeks at their higher weekly rate.  When I talked to them, they said they would charge me the higher weekly rate fro 6 weeks - no monthly rate available unless I were going to stay there indefinitely (I asked about staying for 2 full months).  I ended up staying at a different park not far away and paid the monthly rate for 2 months (and ended up staying the full 2 months, really enjoyed it).

On 8/31/2021 at 4:14 PM, lappir said:

My thought is one shouldn't have to ask others to be "Fair" it should just happen.

Another question is, do they publish the rates and how they determine them? We have not stayed in any of the seasonal parks long enough to get one of the lower rates in quite some time, but I do recall having seen signage listing a daily, weekly, & monthly rate and in some cases there was also a season rate that usually required at least 3 consecutive months. I have also seen parks list an annual rate on occasion. I wonder if anything would have been different if you had spoken to the owner/manager, rather than an employee who probably has no authority to vary from the published rules? 

In the current situation with places to stay being in short supply in many areas and the cost of everything increasing, that could be a factor in situations such as you experienced. It definitely brings up a situation where one needs to be sure that we understand the pricing structure and how it is applied. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Another question is, do they publish the rates and how they determine them? We have not stayed in any of the seasonal parks long enough to get one of the lower rates in quite some time, but I do recall having seen signage listing a daily, weekly, & monthly rate and in some cases there was also a season rate that usually required at least 3 consecutive months. I have also seen parks list an annual rate on occasion. I wonder if anything would have been different if you had spoken to the owner/manager, rather than an employee who probably has no authority to vary from the published rules? 

In the current situation with places to stay being in short supply in many areas and the cost of everything increasing, that could be a factor in situations such as you experienced. It definitely brings up a situation where one needs to be sure that we understand the pricing structure and how it is applied. 

Kirk, 

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. I usually don't pay attention to the rates much except when I'm looking for a spot. I do check out the advertised rates and call the less expensive ones first, but when I'm looking I already have a job offer and it's important for me to find a place to stay quickly so I can either accept or decline the offer. So far I have not had to decline an offer due to no place to park. (My next spot may test me.)

I also only ask for the "Long Term Rate" when I inquire and ask if that includes electric or not. With my Mini split HVAC system, I'm thinking it's best to stay at the less expensive places with metered electric, at least in the Summer. Haven't spent a winter anywhere where it's been cold and I have had to use the heat. Was hoping to her in North Dakota, but it seems to stay warm longer than I expected (and MUCH WARMER). 

The two ladies working the desk are a Mother/Daughter pair and I'm pretty sure family of the owner. It was the Mom I renewed my final month with and I haven't been to the office again. I will one day towards the end of my stay and mention it to the younger of the two. 

Just yesterday at work we were commenting on some things that have happened to each of us. I didn't bring up my current issue, but there was talk about a "Landscaper" who covered up a "Sprinkler Head" causing a basement Flood and so far has not admitted fault or offered any assistance with the repair of the damage caused. The Victim like me think it should not take a "Law Suit"  to have people accept fault when they obviously did something that caused another to question if it was "RIGHT". Folks should admit when they are wrong and do what they can to make it right. 

Now another story about stepping up is my Nephew. He was Golfing at a course that is very close to where his "Grandmother" lives. She can see the course, but is not close enough to worry about errant drives. One of her neighbors was though and my Nephew either sliced or hooked a drive right into a window of the person who lives "ON the Course". When the owner came out to look at the window my nephew identified himself as the golfer and apologized. The home owner said who is going to pay for the damage? My thought is if you know you live on a golf course, you should at least have insurance on the windows that face said course for the inevitable replacement or repair. The owner had insurance with a $500 deductible the repair was $600. My nephew covered the deductible. Now is that FAIR?

Thank you to all others who have commented. I will let you know in a month or so how it all turns out. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 9/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, lappir said:

it should not take a "Law Suit"  to have people accept fault when they obviously did something that caused another to question if it was "RIGHT".

Unfortunately winning a lawsuit will not make people admit fault, either.  Folks seem to have a never ending source of excuses.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne