Opinions on value and practicality.

Tylerak

On 2/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, Tylerak said:

I haven’t test drove a peterbilt similar to this. I’m sure the new trucks are very nice they just don’t do anything for me. My last tow vehicle was a 97 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 12v turned up with a 5 speed manual and my current daily driver is a 94 Dodge Ram 12v with a 5 speed manual so I’m used to shifting, loud noises, and a bumpy ride. Does your Volvo have a Detroit in it or Cummins? 

I have the 12 liter Volvo motor. Had 800 thousand and some miles on it when I got it, turned over 900, 000  a couple years ago. To my knowledge it has not had any type of overhaul. I have some white smoke if I go from highway speed to a rest area occasionally, but it runs well and there isn't oil in the water or water in the oil that I can see. Set the cruise at 70 and it just rolls down the road. I do have the three pedal auto shift so I have to clutch when I start and stop. I can hit the resume on the cruise at 20 mph exiting a rest area and not have to do anything but steer till my next stop though. Having a fully manual, you won't have that luxury. It's not that I mind shifting, but do try a 10 speed and a super 10 before you buy one. I'd rather have a 13 than either one of them. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, lappir said:

I have the 12 liter Volvo motor. Had 800 thousand and some miles on it when I got it, turned over 900, 000  a couple years ago. To my knowledge it has not had any type of overhaul. I have some white smoke if I go from highway speed to a rest area occasionally, but it runs well and there isn't oil in the water or water in the oil that I can see. Set the cruise at 70 and it just rolls down the road. I do have the three pedal auto shift so I have to clutch when I start and stop. I can hit the resume on the cruise at 20 mph exiting a rest area and not have to do anything but steer till my next stop though. Having a fully manual, you won't have that luxury. It's not that I mind shifting, but do try a 10 speed and a super 10 before you buy one. I'd rather have a 13 than either one of them. 

Rod 

I’ve had 4 automatics in my life and 2 manuals I definitely enjoy the ease of the automatics but I also enjoy the connection to the vehicle with a manual. I’ve encountered  many tasks that require immense hand eye coordination and practice for example stick welding, tig welding, bending conduit, skeet shooting, heavy equipment operation, etc. it all feels like brail but with time it’s just second nature. I don’t doubt that an automatic is very nice cruising down the road but  most of the time we take the interstate anyway. Hell from Oklahoma to Washington we were on the i40 from Muskogee to California haha not much shifting. We all have our preferences and as we age and with experience they change. I currently don’t have a tow vehicle so you are way above me, I don’t think we’ll be going too far for another year. If this covid crap ever eases up we plan to make a trip up to Alaska where I’m from where we’ll stay for the summer. My last truck spent more time in the shop than on the road and it’s transmission exploded like a grenade an hour into the trip to Washington. As long as that doesn’t happen again I’ll be smiling ear to ear i don’t care if I’m shifting as long as it lasts and doesn’t cost me money to fix. I hope your Volvo keeps it up sounds like it’s been good to you. 

Edited by Tylerak

Quickly reading most of the replies and your own ideas, buy it. You have a better grasp on the physics of class 8 operation than most. It does not matter if it is a standard 10 or super 10, they both work fine. If you can weld vertical up, you can operate either trans. 

That 12.7L is THE most awesome engine for your purpose ever. Reliable, efficient, and as you already know, the least expensive to replace or repair. It is easy to drive. Just dont rev the engine when engaging the clutch. Like doing a test welds prior to the job, a few drives on a back road learning to shift, is all it will take.

In 2003 that truck should have either low air leaf or flex-air suspension. Both are awesome suspensions. The flex-air when single, will have some lift under acceleration, but nothing to worry about.

I'm a work'n on it.

Hi Tylerak - welcome

That truck looks like a California hay hauler to my eyes. They are ordered as factory single drive so the brake system is all engineered and configured for single drive. 

That Peterbilt will be light. That business specs for payload (see the small fuel tanks) and low suspension, tire profile because of high cube loads. 

That business also runs some of the nicest and most well cared for trucks this writer has ever seen. 

Edited by noteven
exceeded Gross Allowable Word Count

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Hi Tylerak - welcome

That truck looks like a California hay hauler to my eyes. They are ordered as factory single drive so the brake system is all engineered and configured for single drive. 

That Peterbilt will be light. That business specs for payload (see the small fuel tanks) and low suspension, tire profile because of high cube loads. 

That business also runs some of the nicest and most well cared for trucks this writer has ever seen. 

The pictures of the interior definitely indicate it’s been taken care of. The owner says it was singled from the factory and everything is original other than some chicken lights and cute stuff. The fuel tanks are pretty funny looking they look like they belong on a day cab. The bed is still in the plastic I don’t think the sleeper was used very much if at all. California has a lot of singled trucks I’m not sure why but a good place to find them. You say they’re setup for payload is that why it’s got 4.11 so they can lose weight on axle and fuel and run the single as hard as they can? Is it setup extra stiff on suspension or anything that would be troublesome? What’s unique about the tire profile? Thanks for the reply you sound very educated on this type of truck. You don’t see them everyday. 

14 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Quickly reading most of the replies and your own ideas, buy it. You have a better grasp on the physics of class 8 operation than most. It does not matter if it is a standard 10 or super 10, they both work fine. If you can weld vertical up, you can operate either trans. 

That 12.7L is THE most awesome engine for your purpose ever. Reliable, efficient, and as you already know, the least expensive to replace or repair. It is easy to drive. Just dont rev the engine when engaging the clutch. Like doing a test welds prior to the job, a few drives on a back road learning to shift, is all it will take.

In 2003 that truck should have either low air leaf or flex-air suspension. Both are awesome suspensions. The flex-air when single, will have some lift under acceleration, but nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reply I have nightmares thinking about learning vertical up again, I’m probably the most naturally ungifted welder on earth. With a couple hundred thousand rods burnt I could probably do it behind my back blindfolded now. Hopefully I’m more gifted with a 10 speed. 
Everything I’ve heard about the 12.7’s has been good. Only thing I’ve heard to watch out for is the bull gear. Sounds like you can get a peek at it through the auxiliary cover. If it is bad I’ve found the replacement bearings and you can get them pressed in for a fraction of the $1700 rebuilds. I’ll check with the seller to see what suspension it is. Thanks for your reply. 

12 hours ago, Tylerak said:

The pictures of the interior definitely indicate it’s been taken care of. The owner says it was singled from the factory and everything is original other than some chicken lights and cute stuff. The fuel tanks are pretty funny looking they look like they belong on a day cab. The bed is still in the plastic I don’t think the sleeper was used very much if at all. California has a lot of singled trucks I’m not sure why but a good place to find them. You say they’re setup for payload is that why it’s got 4.11 so they can lose weight on axle and fuel and run the single as hard as they can? Is it setup extra stiff on suspension or anything that would be troublesome? What’s unique about the tire profile? Thanks for the reply you sound very educated on this type of truck. You don’t see them everyday. 

Hi Tyler - California has canyon roads that require a restricted kingpin to rear axle length on articulated trucks so they stay in their lane on hairpins and curves as much as possible.  The single axle tractor is common in these applications. The roads also have plenty of grades. 

Also the bridge formula allows 20,000lbs on a dual tire single axle, but 34,000lbs on a tandem (I think) - so this may be a factor as well although I am not a bridge formula expert or knowledgeable on weights within the state. 

Most US trucks are not "heavy" compared to what we work with in west Canada. 

A 4.11 ratio would be perfect for hay, grain, bulk cement, or aggregate hauling due to running at full gross weights.  Trucks with high speed ratios in the low 3's or even 2's do not pull like a "low geared" truck when the road is speed limited under 65mph (you aren't "running" at a hill) and the load is heavy, with all else equal. Transmission speeds do not make up for too tall rear gearing.

A DDEC engine will give you good mileage even if you want to run 4.11's at RV tire wrecking speeds 🤣

It likely has low pro tires on 22.5 wheels.  You could do a spend on "standard" tires like 11R22.5 to reduce cruise rpm and pay that back in, like, 1 million miles in fuel savings... just kidding...

The rear axles would normally be 23,000lbs rated with 18" ring gears because yes all the power is to one axle.  

California also has a 55mph speed limit for any vehicle towing a trailer, so 80mph gears are of no practical purpose for regional trucks in California. 

In a California truck when you turn your wipers on your headlights will come on.  "I know, right?" 😀

Here are a couple short videos showing typical CA hay truck configurations. 

Kinda work a day trucks: Loading Hay Trucks

And a fancy rig: Hettinga's Hay Hog I'm a KW guy but I do appreciate a well dressed Pete.  And how bowt those trailers? 

You will also see tandem drive flatbed trucks pulling a single trailer. 

You will see these trucks working all over between horses, dairies, and feedlots and where the hay is grown. 

The single drive double trailers config is also common for bulk cement, aggregates, etc in the region. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Hi Tyler - California has canyon roads that require a restricted kingpin to rear axle length on articulated trucks so they stay in their lane on hairpins and curves as much as possible.  The single axle tractor is common in these applications. The roads also have plenty of grades. 

Also the bridge formula allows 20,000lbs on a dual tire single axle, but 34,000lbs on a tandem (I think) - so this may be a factor as well although I am not a bridge formula expert or knowledgeable on weights within the state. 

Most US trucks are not "heavy" compared to what we work with in west Canada. 

A 4.11 ratio would be perfect for hay, grain, bulk cement, or aggregate hauling due to running at full gross weights.  Trucks with high speed ratios in the low 3's or even 2's do not pull like a "low geared" truck when the road is speed limited under 65mph (you aren't "running" at a hill) and the load is heavy, with all else equal. Transmission speeds do not make up for too tall rear gearing.

A DDEC engine will give you good mileage even if you want to run 4.11's at RV tire wrecking speeds 🤣

It likely has low pro tires on 22.5 wheels.  You could do a spend on "standard" tires like 11R22.5 to reduce cruise rpm and pay that back in, like, 1 million miles in fuel savings... just kidding...

The rear axles would normally be 23,000lbs rated with 18" ring gears because yes all the power is to one axle.  

California also has a 55mph speed limit for any vehicle towing a trailer, so 80mph gears are of no practical purpose for regional trucks in California. 

In a California truck when you turn your wipers on your headlights will come on.  "I know, right?" 😀

Here are a couple short videos showing typical CA hay truck configurations. 

Kinda work a day trucks: Loading Hay Trucks

And a fancy rig: Hettinga's Hay Hog I'm a KW guy but I do appreciate a well dressed Pete.  And how bowt those trailers? 

You will also see tandem drive flatbed trucks pulling a single trailer. 

You will see these trucks working all over between horses, dairies, and feedlots and where the hay is grown. 

The single drive double trailers config is also common for bulk cement, aggregates, etc in the region. 

Very interesting, I noticed all of the trucks in those videos have the low profile tires. That’s so weird I’ve lived in Washington for a while and they just haul hay with regular tandems and trailers with 8 wheels. California always has to be special I guess haha. That one truck with the coffin sleeper is gorgeous I think I’d like that one. I’ll have to see how I like the 4.11s if I can run 65-70 no need to switch. My trailer has Goodyear g614 commercial tires at 100 psi. Only fear now is spinning a bearing in the axles. I generally tow at 65. I’ll be keeping the tires I think they look pretty cool. Thanks for the information 

Ya a regular highboy trailer is too long for some of the roads in CA with kingpin to rear wheelbase restrictions. 

here is a road speed calculator to use to look at speeds, tire diameter, engine rpm.

With 4.11's that truck should have a overdrive 10spd which should be .73 overdrive in 10 gear. 

For tire dimensions you can look at the tire websites. 

https://wellertruck.com/road-speed-calculatorro

Edited by noteven

Howdy All,

I totally understand the reason behind the singled trucks towing the hay wagons, but to me they just look weird and incomplete.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

17 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

I found 1937 Cabover that would verrryyy interesting for project. It is on Craigslist in Sacramento California.

But I cannot post it with my computer. Custom paint   Big block power 

It sure would be a head turner.

Make me think,   Vern

I just can’t behind the cab overs. It would be nice to have a short overall length but they just look like pugs 😂 

12 minutes ago, noteven said:

Tyler here is a road speed calculator to use to look at speeds, tire diameter, engine rpm.

With 4.11's that truck should have a overdrive 10spd which should be .73 overdrive in 10 gear. 

For tire dimensions you can look at the tire websites. 

https://wellertruck.com/road-speed-calculatorro

I found a picture and zoomed in they are 295/75 r24.5 so 41.95” diameter. I used the calculator at 1500 rpm .73 overdrive 63mph,2000 rpm is 83mph. Sounds good to me. 

I'd question the model year of the truck, were I you.  Have the seller send you the VIN to verify it.

Detroit Diesels were pretty much a proprietary offering exclusive to DTNA brands (Freightliner, Sterling, and Western Star) by the 2003 model year.  Most non-Daimler brands installed their last Series 60 engines in 2001 model year trucks.  There may have been a straggler or two, but it's hard to imagine that Peterbilt discovered that they had a leftover S60 ratholed somewhere after the 2003s went into production.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

4 minutes ago, Phil D said:

I'd question the model year of the truck, were I you.  Have the seller send you the VIN to verify it.

Detroit Diesels were pretty much a proprietary offering exclusive to DTNA brands (Freightliner, Sterling, and Western Star) by the 2003 model year.  Most non-Daimler brands installed their last Series 60 engines in 2001 model year trucks.  There may have been a straggler or two, but it's hard to imagine that Peterbilt discovered that they had a leftover S60 ratholed somewhere after the 2003s went into production.

You are 100% correct I double checked and it is a 2001 I don’t know how I got 2003. So I guess the only way to get a 60 series would be a glider but I doubt many peterbilt guys would want a Detroit over a 3406. If you search truck paper and make a detailed search for 359,379,389 with Detroit’s they are few and far between and they are asking a premium for them.

Off topic but a couple months ago I took a job as an electrician at the Daimler truck plant in Portland Oregon. I didn’t know what Daimler was at the time. We replaced all the hoists, cranes, added tv monitors in each station it shows how each truck is setup, and pneumatic tools on the assembly line. Pretty cool seeing the frames come in and watch them get put together. The axles crews were really interesting to watch. It’s amazing how little there is automated. It’s probably 90-95% man made. No wonder they cost as much as a house. The receiving bay would have probably 500 engines and transmissions. The emissions systems look like little nuclear reactors with 15 different sensors, too high tech for me. While I was working there I was humming “one piece at a time, and it didn’t cost me a dime” I’d need a REALLY REALLY big lunch box to haul out a western star. 

16 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I totally understand the reason behind the singled trucks towing the hay wagons, but to me they just look weird and incomplete.

Dave

My first time out to California early 90s I seen some of them pulling doubles. Dump trailers if I remember right.  I about broke my neck looking at them go by. I though the same thing man them are weird looking. But the more I seen them the cooler they looked. They would be no good here in Nebraska but perfect for pulling stock trailer or camper. Here I am 20 some years after having that idea I am actually using an HDT.  If I didn't have all these kids I would totally go for a singe axle day cab Pete.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

So I have been thinking about this style truck and it’s setup. So now looking at converting  to rv service, the lower frame height just mite make it more useable. On this truck one could maybe move the fuel tanks forward. That would give more room for storage under the bed in front of the rear tires. Then with a lower deck surface it would give more clearance for the front of the fifthwheel .  Now it might also give you a better position on hitch placement. At least room to think more. Also setting the hitch back to give more clearance from the back of the cab.

I use the bed on our truck as a work area. So a lower bed height would be much nicer for my use. Also for putting anything on the deck with ramps would be easier.

I believe it could have some advantages to investigate. If I would have known about this style truck back in 07 I do believe I would be driving one .

Just thinking,   Vern