New to escapees and new RVers need advise

Mark and Kelly

My wife and I recently bought a used 2006 pilgrim 36 foot 5er. Have done some work on it. The hot water tank thermostat and control. Everything works great so far, BUT I can't find the water pump switch inside. I have heard it is in the kitchen or bathroom??? We have not needed the pump for fresh water tank yet, since we camped at a couple of locations that we hooked to water. Other ?'s Do we need a water filter? Should I get a surge protector? TPMS? Tires are LT's and old. I have read a lot on these forums about SAILUNS and I am leaning toward them. Thanks in advance for any help on my numerous questions. PS, Pilgrim is out of BIZ, so if anyone out there has one, ANY tips would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Escapees forums! Also a virtual Escapee hug.

The switch for the fresh water pump is usually located in the kitchen or the bathroom, sometimes both. If may be on or close to the panel where your tank level indications are. I have also seen the pump switch located near to the potable water tank & pump.  It probably looks something like this and may or may not be lighted.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYTZp6IxZI5bdLiFT19fe images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbT1zmJudYVx06OlVPDrP

I do recommend the use of a water filter. If you a only part time, then one of those available at Walmart or an RV supply store that connect inline with the fresh water hose would be fine. For fulltime living I suggest one of the whole house type of filters. I do strongly suggest that you use one of the white potable water hoses or one of the light blue ones, but not a standard garden hose. 

I do recommend that you use one of the line monitor devices that is much more than just a surge protector. The two best known ones are the Surge Guard or the Progressive EMS. The one that only protects from surges is much less expensive, but it really doesn't do much for you. 

Tire pressure monitoring systems are also very good to have. There are several good ones to have but I do not have any experience with them. If you are like most of us, you do live on a budget and so must prioritize. In my opinion tires should be your #1 priority. Most RV tires are replaced due to age, rather than tread wear and any tire that is more than 7 - 10 years old is inviting blowouts. A blown tire on an RV is not only a safety hazard but when it happens at highway speed it will usually do major damage to the RV and can make it unusable. Most of us here choose to buy the best tires we can and replace them at regular intervals. I have a smaller trailer than yours but am using Goodyear Endurance tires. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On our MH, there is a power center on the wall in the bathroom that contains switches for light, fan and water pump.   Our other one in up front by the kitchen with the panel that contains the power monitor, tank monitors, water pump and "scare" outside light over the wet bay.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I did some quick Googling, not that I found an answer.  But someone with some flavor of a Pilgrim RV indicated that their water pump switch was under the sink cabinet.  Something like "you can't see it unless you get down and look up".  That would be a dumb placement, but maybe worth a look.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

1 hour ago, Will B. said:

But someone with some flavor of a Pilgrim RV indicated that their water pump switch was under the sink cabinet. 

You make a really good point. I have seen the pump switch just below the edge of the kitchen counter top, near the sink on several RVs. It can be very difficult to see there and it may not be marked at all either. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

They are a little more expensive but worth the money, Mitchelin XPS Rib trailer tires. I had them on my fifth wheel for 5 years before I traded it in for my Class A and they were great. Still looked brand new after 5 years.  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

A couple of things about tires for a trailer that I did not see mentioned. There should be a factory installed plate near the front of the trailer that lists the factory supplied tire size and weight rating. New tires should be rated for this weight or more. LT tires often have a lower maximum weight rating than ST tires of the same size and load range. Check the ratings stamped on any new tire. Also check the date manufactured. LT tires may not be available in the same diameter and width as some ST tires. If upgrading to a larger tire size, check the clearance between tires and in the wheel well (height & width). Most ST tires are speed rated for 65 MPH. Two exceptions that I am aware of are the Goodyear Endurance and the Carlisle Radial Trail which have higher speed ratings.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

Edited by trailertraveler

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

Carlyle Radial Trail

Is this Carlisle tires just spelled different?  On a side note I find it ridicules that ST tires are only speed rated to 65. I try my darndest to travel at lower speeds but find it impossible to do so safely for at least some situations for limited times.

Kirk has stated about all you need for the questions you asked. With a 2006 model I would think that the water pump on and off is where he stated. I newer models, like my 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL, all most everything is on my control panel. I can auto level from the outside but that is it. I have wondered what would happen if the control panel went out?

A special thanks to Kirk W. We located the switch with his picture as an example. There was a switch that was not marked where our other tank and slide-out control were. This was the only switch that was not labeled and I tracked the wiring to the water pump!!! That was the number one thanks.

#2 I bought the water filter.

#3 I ordered the Sailun tires from BIG O tire for the 5th wheel.

still researching about the surge guard.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!!!

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We are always happy to be able to help. It is repaying those who helped us when we first started. Come back any time and as often as you wish. 

X2. Please, bring more questions so it might be something I can help with next time. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van