Hitch camera mount ideas please

Sculptor

Hi folks, we have a wired camera system from RVS.  Currently we have 2 cameras with room to add more.

I have removed the camera from the high mounted position on the back of the cab.  I want to mount in front of the hitch.  Many of you have done this also.  I am sure I will have to fab some kind of a frame or base.  I might be able to mount directly to the ET hitch.  
I would be interested to see photos by those who have done this if you don’t mind taking the time to post them.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I put mine on a simple hing mounted to the bed in front of the hitch.  Most of the time it is up and pointed at the hitch.  If I am using the bed to haul something (when not towing), I can fold the camera down into the hitch tunnel and out of the way.  I don’t have any pictures of it right now, but I can get a couple later if you are interested.

I thought about going with the magnetic mount similar to what others use, but chose not to.  That particular camera is dedicated to hitching on my truck.  I have other cameras for other things, so I can dedicate this one to just hitching.  For me it is important to keep that camera directly lined up with the center of the hitch.  I have a stripe painted on the pin box of my trailer and there is a bolt centered on the hitch head of my hitch.  When I hitch, I simply line these two things up and I never miss.  If I had a magnetic mounted camera, the camera wouldn’t necessarily always be in the same place and it wouldn’t be as easy to line up my guide points for hitching.  I’m sure I could mitigate this with some markings on the bed to make sure the magnet got put back in the same spot each time, but it would take more effort than my hinged solution that always puts the camera in the same position without any thought or effort on my part.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

KZOZshpl.jpg

Hard to see but magnet mount (think I found at Harbor Freight), short pipe nipple from Home Depot.  Like Daryl said, move where you want.  Did not build “weather shield” but has never been an issue.  Simple, effective.

on edit this was original pic of my mounting plate that used two of the lift ring screws.  I later traded to these magnetic antenna mount but retained everything else as is.

F4kSaIrl.jpg

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I drilled and tapped two holes in the front wall of my ET because I wanted it more secure than the “wide load” magnets I have.  I used off the shelf bracket steel from the farm store to make the riser.  I adjusted the height to clear the front of the trailer if 90 degree jackknifed. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I mounted mine directly on the deck and put a plastic electrical box around it, to keep it from being kicked or knocked off.  Has worked well for us.

Camera Box mount photo

Edited by Brad NSW

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg