Orchids in an RV

PAylor

Hi all,

Hoping to be able to travel in 2021.  Covid and health issues kept us home in 2020.

While I was home for the year I got some orchids.   I'd love to be able to take them with me while we travel.   Anyone have experience with orchids on the road?  I've heard they are pretty finicky.   Also don't know how to secure them when we're on the move.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

On 12/5/2020 at 3:33 AM, PAylor said:

Hi all,

Hoping to be able to travel in 2021.  Covid and health issues kept us home in 2020.

While I was home for the year I got some orchids.   I'd love to be able to take them with me while we travel.   Anyone have experience with orchids on the road?  I've heard they are pretty finicky.   Also don't know how to secure them when we're on the move.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

You don't mention where you are currently. My only experience with Orchids was taking possession of many in the trees of a home I bought in South Florida. They were already there and established. They bloomed occasionally and I did nothing to them. I had a friend who always posted photos of her garden of Orchids also in South Florida. It appears the Flowers like the climate outside in Florida, I did not. I'm sure they would do fine inside somewhere, just don't know where that would be, how much sun they require and such. I know they don't require a rich soil, or really any soil to grow in. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Also, some States, like CA that has a agricultural checkpoint at their borders,(I-10 and I-8 for sure) will not let you import some plants. Not sure if orchids would be on their list. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 12/5/2020 at 1:33 AM, PAylor said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Thought this would be a tough subject.....NOT !!

Google is your friend !!

LOTS and lots of info ........start with "Transporting Orchids"

Could spend an hour reading them - I didn't (no orchids).

Example:  https://orchidbliss.com/transporting-orchids/

If you cross the US border you may need to have proof of origin for your plants. We lost some when returning from Canada some years ago because we had not kept the documentation that came with them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/5/2020 at 1:33 AM, PAylor said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

In my experience with plants the first few bloom growths might not do well but plants in general are very good at adapting to their environment. Including shaky environments. I would definitely take them. I don't know the variety you have or what kind of rv they'll be traveling in but I would imagine you could adhere a container holder to a wall or counter. You could even easily rig up a grow light/lamp beside/above the plant. 

I have a vanilla plant that I can't part with so I'll be taking it with me. I really wish I could bring my lime tree (I'm in Oregon and grow all sorts of food you wouldn't expect) but I know some states you can't even have limes let alone a lime tree. Oh well. I'm going to miss my plants and growing things. My kids tease I should be "momma garden seed" and plant vegetables and flowers everywhere I boondock.