AGM to Lithium conversion questions

Brad NSW

27 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I do. Possibly more good info could be gained if this were in the Technical section,, where it's much more likely people who know about his are browsing.  

Well on my truck the batteries and inverters are mounted in the drom box, and I would have never found this post in the technical section so post away please.

GCTaaehl.jpg

On 11/29/2020 at 12:40 PM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Well on my truck the batteries and inverters are mounted in the drom box, and I would have never found this post in the technical section so post away please.

That's fine if this is about a truck, which is why I asked, but got no answer. 

Edited by hemsteadc

38 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I do. Possibly more good info could be gained if this were in the Technical section,, where it's much more likely people who know about this are browsing.  

To elaborate, I don't peruse this forum via any of the separate categories. I have all recent posts showing when I'm back here to look around. That way, I see what's happening in all categories. I usually forget to even check which category a post is in. Jay

15 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

In the interest of derailing even further, but bringing the HDT angle in.....Our truck batteries are 7 years old, and sometimes after sitting for a couple months, the truck cranks slowly.  No maintainer or charger of any kind is used.

So, if I determine these batteries have neared the end of their tenure here, should I consider flooded lead acid, AGM, or is there a better solution?

And I know, a solar charger would likely get me another year or two out of them, but at what price?

Personally, I wouldn't get all fancy with this. I would run down to your local Volvo, etc. dealer and just pick up another set. The low price of that option makes the other options look really unattractive. Jay

Just now, Jaydrvr said:

To elaborate, I don't peruse this forum via any of the separate categories. I have all recent posts showing when I'm back here to look around. That way, I see what's happening in all categories. I usually forget to even check which category a post is in. Jay

Understood, but an installation in a truck is going to be quite a bit different from an RV.  If it's in this forum, is it understood it's about a truck?

Edited by hemsteadc

51 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

And I know, a solar charger would likely get me another year or two out of them, but at what price?

I use a couple of 50W panels for various vehicles I have.  I spent around $100 for each.  It helps to compensate for my bad memory to charge this truck or that trailer esp in my yard where I have no 120VAC.  I can leave them on there and if I forget, it isnt a big deal with a charge controller.  It also helps with fantom loads.

Marcel

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

I do. Possibly more good info could be gained if this were in the Technical section,, where it's much more likely people who know about this are browsing.  

On the other side , anyone searching the topic will see the thread no matter it's location . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Understood, but an installation in a truck is going to be quite a bit different from an RV.  If it's in this forum, is it understood it's about a truck?

I have an installation in both truck and fiver. For me, the electrical design and install are essentially the same, but of course the physical details will be different.

"is it understood it's about a truck?" I would say the usual "maybe". In watching this, or any forum, the threads often drift far, far afield. That's completely okay with me, but I can see where not everyone cares for that.

Jay

Pulled the trigger on 6 battleborns 100AH batteries. With Black Friday, Coupon Discount Code, Free shipping and no sales tax, total was $4839.3 ($806.5 per battery)!! Heck of a lot less than I originally expected to pay.  hemsteadc -This big weight difference will decrease the pin weight off the HTD hitch. 

More HDT info for Rickeieio: Bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WYP4H6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, a 30W solar panel with controller and battery clips.  When I unhitch, I connect to the battery post and lay the panel where it will get sun.  Keeps the batteries topped off during long periods at campgrounds or boondocking...$63 on Amazon.

Edited by Brad NSW

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Thanks for the replies.  I've been contemplating a solar charger and just haven't pulled the trigger.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 11/27/2020 at 5:33 PM, Brad NSW said:

We're considering pulling out six year old FullRiver 400AH 6 volt AG batteries and replacing with BattleBorn 100AH Lithium's.  Any input on the below questions is appreciated:

1.  My current 6 AGMs give us 1200AH (600 usable).  I'm thinking six 100AH Lithium's will give us the same usable amps, right?  

2.  Should be plug and play, after adjusting the charging data in the controller, right?

3.  Any thoughts on how much the six year old batteries have degraded, they haven't been used hard except the last year.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Brad

If you are talking about adjusting the solar controller, yes, but you will also have to adjust your converter or inverter/charger profile, and if you charge off the trucks alternator, you might need a B-B charger.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

On 12/3/2020 at 4:45 PM, JPL said:

Brad Been to NorVa lately?   Pat 

Retired when Covid hit and started our cross country adventure, so no more paid trips to Norfolk!    Full Time HDT & New Horizon (wordpress.com)   Skipped Norfolk (you and my roommate from school), as we had a wedding to get to.  Next year, looking at a slower pace and may head up that way after the national rally in April.

Brad

Brad

On 12/3/2020 at 4:45 PM, JPL said:

The Old Sailor

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg