RV Park Co-op creation

mdepa95

Would it be possible to buy an RV park like this and establish a mini RV Park Co-Op like Escapees. The park is only $20,000 and the little building next to it is also $20,000. I asked the city about zoning and they said Ashland doesn't have any zoning, only "nuisance ordinances"? What would be the process for doing something like this?

Edited by mdepa95

38 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

My virus checker warns that is a hacking site.... don't go there.... it will get your passwords to your online accounts...

Sorry, I will change the link to lotflip. I got the not secure message on it but it seemed like an official site so I just ignored it

Only 9 sites. I think that would be too few for a Co-Op. Non Co-Op You would probable only get $35 a night for FHU at most and at 50% occupancy, (15 days a month) only $525 a site per month, or if you charge $450 by the month, for 9 spaces, about $4,050 per month gross less expenses, property tax, water, sewer, advertising etc. Be lucky to break even. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Using Google maps it appears both motel and rv park occupy one city block. Installing water and sewer will be quite expensive, since it is presently electric only.

Red Hills Motel & RV Park

400 W 4th Ave, Ashland, KS 67831

(620) 635-2239

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Using Google maps it appears both motel and rv park occupy one city block. Installing water and sewer will be quite expensive, since it is presently electric only.

Red Hills Motel & RV Park

400 W 4th Ave, Ashland, KS 67831

(620) 635-2239

The small building for sale nextdoor to it has a bathroom and kitchen. Wouldn't that be able to function as a community bathroom and kitchen area until funds could be raised to install sewer and water to individual sites? 

28 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Only 9 sites. I think that would be too few for a Co-Op. Non Co-Op You would probable only get $35 a night for FHU at most and at 50% occupancy, (15 days a month) only $525 a site per month, or if you charge $450 by the month, for 9 spaces, about $4,050 per month gross less expenses, property tax, water, sewer, advertising etc. Be lucky to break even. 

Why do you think it would be too few for a Co-Op? The monthly expenses would be that much?

It's not on the way from anywhere.  It's not on the way to anywhere.  It's not close to anything of particular interest, except maybe old Dodge City, which most people can get their fill of in 1/2 day.  It's hot in the Summer, cold in the Winter.  You've got to ask yourself, why would anyone want to own a Co-Op site in this town.

Many RV'ers buy an RV because they like having their own bathroom and their own kitchen.  I can't imagine many who would be willing to share either with others on any kind of extended basis like in a Co-Op.  So, would this be a Co-Op for tent campers?

I would think that if this location had any potential for commercial development, it wouldn't be for sale at that price.  If it wasn't successful in the past, why would it be now?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I would also be concerned about several other businesses in town also being for sale. It's a pretty small town. Lots of due diligence called for in this situation. For instance, would the neighbors consider RVs to be a nuisance?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

It's not on the way from anywhere.  It's not on the way to anywhere.  It's not close to anything of particular interest, except maybe old Dodge City, which most people can get their fill of in 1/2 day.  It's hot in the Summer, cold in the Winter.  You've got to ask yourself, why would anyone want to own a Co-Op site in this town.

Many RV'ers buy an RV because they like having their own bathroom and their own kitchen.  I can't imagine many who would be willing to share either with others on any kind of extended basis like in a Co-Op.  So, would this be a Co-Op for tent campers?

I would think that if this location had any potential for commercial development, it wouldn't be for sale at that price.  If it wasn't successful in the past, why would it be now?

I don't know about other people, but for me, it doesn't really matter that much where a co-op site is located. I just want a cheap home base camp that I can call my own where I can garden and work on projects. 

Hypothetically, It would only be temporary and if only 4-6 people had sites (rather than 10), they wouldn't all be there at once.

Yeah, I have no idea why its so inexpensive. Im not really interested in the commercial aspect.

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

Maybe I'm missing something.

I got this idea from intentional communities that focus on permaculture and self-sustainability.

6 hours ago, mdepa95 said:

I got this idea from intentional communities that focus on permaculture and self-sustainability.

Tiny house communities are popular right now. You'd need a big enough sewage system to handle them. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

21 hours ago, mdepa95 said:

Would it be possible to buy an RV park like this and establish a mini RV Park Co-Op like Escapees.

My answer would be perhaps. The biggest problem that I see at this point is overcoming the negative responses of those who think not. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use the Escapee name or logo unless you get the board to approve such use but it might be possible. We lived in a community that was modeled after the Escapee co-op park system for 8 years before selling and moving where we base today. It was created back in the late 90's because the organizers of it wanted to be able to build more of a house than Escapee parks allow. It has been very successful and it remains that way today. That park looks like it has a lot of potential for such an effort, if someone will put up the capital to get started and then do the work to organize it. After serving as president of Bass Lake Retirement Community, I can tell you that there is a lot involved in operating it and in this case larger is probably better, except that the initial cost will be much lower. How much are you willing to do to get it started? If I were to do this, I would ask permission from Escapees to share information via their Facebook pages in order to reach a much younger share of our membership.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 10/31/2020 at 3:08 PM, mdepa95 said:

I don't know about other people, but for me, it doesn't really matter that much where a co-op site is located. I just want a cheap home base camp that I can call my own where I can garden and work on projects. 

Hypothetically, It would only be temporary and if only 4-6 people had sites (rather than 10), they wouldn't all be there at once.

Yeah, I have no idea why its so inexpensive. Im not really interested in the commercial aspect.

If you want a home base, why not just buy a site somewhere? Why be responsible for maintenance, infrastructure, taxes, insurance and possible legal issues? What is your thought of thinking of opening a 4-6 Co-Op? Plus if you only had 4-6 spots you better make sure that you like them, trust them, so when you are away. Way to much risk for the effort.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 10/31/2020 at 5:08 PM, mdepa95 said:

I just want a cheap home base camp that I can call my own where I can garden and work on projects. 

Im not really interested in the commercial aspect.

If you are only interested in your own stuff and not in the commercial, I highly recommend not going into a commercial venture.  You will either be unhappy about the work you must do, or not do the work and be unhappy about the money you have lost and the failure of the project.  Any commercial venture takes a lot of work.  Even with a coop many of the co-owners will be gone much of the year.  Someone has to run it.  That means someone mowing and repairing and painting etc.  That means you.  Most commercial ventures also have a significant money outflow. This is particularly true in the first part of the venture.

Rent a site in another park.  Buy a site in a coop.  Buy land and install utilities and a pad.  Or rent it.  Don't buy  into a commercial venture in which you have no interest.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ