Smart Gen II length issue?

trimster

With the Smart car Gen II (2009 - ??) Being longer, across the bed of our truck than technically legal without wide load permit, anyone getting pulled over/cited?

Or is it like "don't worry about it...except in Calif where everything causes cancer. "

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

There were perhaps 50 of us at Hutchinson hauling smarts, if that tells you anything.  So far, I've only heard of one instance where someone was told to unload.  Perhaps there's more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The one I heard being told to unload was because the cop that saw it had been reading our forum and had seen threads discussing the car being too long. As far as I know nobody has been measured.  But as Rick said there are hundreds of us doing thousands of miles each year so don’t be too concerned. 

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

That's what I assumed. 

With that, my bed build continues. I'm getting ready to order the steel for the cross members.

Welding on, dude!

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Crazy thought, build a ramp that mirrors the angle of the load ramps on the deck.  This would shorten the width, provide storage under the car, and alleviate the breakover angle issue when Smart goes from ramp to deck.

Similar to the ramps on Wkrnrvr Jeep hauler, only sideways.

Edited by Parrformance
correction

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

When purchasing a Smart..any year/model to stay away from? Electric is out for us due to the limited range.

Found a 2005 with 35k miles. That's a gen I.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I have talked to LEO'S in a few states (never mentioned the length of the smart) and all of them have told me that unless you are doing something blatantly stupid they have enough to do without messing with us. I even parked on a street in a little town once and went to eat. The car was still loaded. When we came out I could see 2 people looking at the truck and they wore uniforms. So I walked down to see them and one had seen the truck and called his buddy over from another part of town to see it. I gave a tour and one even climbed up on the back and sat in the car. They had never seen that done before and were quite impressed. 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have been told that gen II have a better clutch. But then I drive the smart onto the bed.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have driven on all my Smarts. Never hooked up winch. It includes the the 451 model also. The 453 model is wider. There was a 450 model also. So newest is actually model 3.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

And with the trailer behind ya, its impossible to see both ends of the smart to judge the width anyway. A Volvos lower fairings and the behind the cab ones are not 102". 97"or 98" comes to mind. So my bed is narrow, that accounts for that "little" bit of overhang....the bed is not 102". Now, if you built your bed a full 102" I dont know how you'll explain the overhang. But I'm with Brad, "usually" unless you are doing something stupid......

But there are except to that rule.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

6 hours ago, trimster said:

Found a 2005 with 35k miles. That's a gen I.

That's a 450. It's 98" bumper to bumper. There's no "Generation" designation, only "Series".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We never intended to haul a smart, until we drove Jeff and Cindy Brett's (bandbuds).  We realized that car wasn't all that bad, and was actually fun.  Bought a '13 and it served us well.  But then Jeff and Cindy visited with us again, and had a later version for us to sample.  Hmmm.....  A few weeks later we got our '16.

Of course, both are the same amount over the legal width, but I just wanted to point out, the '16-'17 is a much nicer car.  Enough so that my bride drives it and leaves the "real car" in the garage.  Something about the smart taking less time to wash........... yeah, right.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net