new to RV life

sls photo

Hello all. We are new to the RV life thing. We have not yet set out on the road as yet, but we have the RV ! ..a JAYCO 24b.

1st we have to sell our building, then we will be on the road looking for a new place to settle.

I have a question for this group of RVers -

Both Barb & I are photographers. Along with the regular travel photo-thing, I had another idea and may want to publish a book about it.

A little history: Back in my 20s 30s and 40s I was an editorial/fashion/portrait photographer in NYC. I stopped doing this for a living about 20yrs ago, though my main focus in photography today is still shooting people.

Here's the Q for everyone - How would you feel if you were at an RV park and someone offered you and your RV companions a free portrait?

I would like to do this at every park we stop at, then when we settle, put all the photos together and publish a photo book about the people of the RV life. The focus will be about the 'people'. [still photo-portraits].

...good idea?

Best regards, Dave and Barb

Edited by sls photo
edit

41 minutes ago, sls photo said:

Here's the Q for everyone - How would you feel if you were at an RV park and someone offered you and your RV companions a free portrait?

I don't know about others, but I have absolutely no desire to be in a book anywhere.  I like privacy.  I suspect it is a personal thing and reactions will run the gamut.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

7 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I don't know about others, but I have absolutely no desire to be in a book anywhere.  I like privacy.  I suspect it is a personal thing and reactions will run the gamut.

good enough.. just looking for opinions. This isnt just about a "book". Think of it as some fun. meeting new people. new conversations. besides, we would be offering free portraits to anyone that wanted them. we would provide a file or an emailed image..  regards  dw

Personally, I don't think this would go over well.  How would RVers meet new people by being in a book?  If you're planning on taking lots of photos it's going to be a HUGE book!  Full-time RVers cultivate lots of friends as they travel... their choice.  If not, they aren't interested in meeting up or communicating with others. Many like their privacy.  It sounds like you are hoping for this to be a way of earning money somehow.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the Escapee forums and to the RV lifestyle! Do stay around and join in often.

As far as the free portraits, I am sure that at least some folks would be interested, but it is very difficult to know how many. A factor is sure to be whether the portrait is on paper of digital? In addition, I strongly suggest that you get written permission to publish any pictures used in your book. There are a lot of RV related books out there and it is difficult to know how many of them are successful, or profitable. 

I don't know that I would completely give up on the ides, but suggest that more information about the planned book might get a more positive reaction. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

26 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Personally, I don't think this would go over well.  How would RVers meet new people by being in a book?  If you're planning on taking lots of photos it's going to be a HUGE book!  Full-time RVers cultivate lots of friends as they travel... their choice.  If not, they aren't interested in meeting up or communicating with others. Many like their privacy.  It sounds like you are hoping for this to be a way of earning money somehow.

..hmm, ok.. just looking for opinions. Seems our countries issues have fallen over to this RV community as well, accuse and mock 1st without knowing the facts. On another forum this received positive response. so, maybe this forum isnt so friendly.. just how I see it on face value, but I appreciate the reply.

Our main purpose is to look for a new home, not make money. People photography is what we do, and I thought this might be a fun idea. I hope you only cast a shadow on my future studio door.. don't bother to knock for portraits. 😶😊   best of luck in your travels. 

3 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums and to the RV lifestyle! Do stay around and join in often.

As far as the free portraits, I am sure that at least some folks would be interested, but it is very difficult to know how many. A factor is sure to be whether the portrait is on paper of digital? In addition, I strongly suggest that you get written permission to publish any pictures used in your book. There are a lot of RV related books out there and it is difficult to know how many of them are successful, or profitable. 

I don't know that I would completely give up on the ides, but suggest that more information about the planned book might get a more positive reaction. 

👍  😊😊

..hmm, ok.. just looking for opinions. Seems our countries issues have fallen over to this RV community as well, accuse and mock 1st without knowing the facts. On another forum this received positive response. so, maybe this forum isnt so friendly.. just how I see it on face value, but I appreciate the reply.

Don't be so quick to take offense. As a community we are prone to speak our minds. I don't think anyone was accusing you of nefarious motives, But the TANSTAFL principal is embedded in many of us and some are suspicious of free offers. I for one have no problems with a profit motive.

You won't find any more welcoming group of folks once you are out among us. We are quick to offer help and to make new friends. So take your time an get to know folks before jumping to conclusions.

As a semipro photog at one point I have doubts about the profitability of photo books, isn't the era of coffee table books over? And images don't really translate to ebook readers

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I strongly suggest that you get written permission to publish any pictures used in your book

X2

We had a retired professional photographer in our SKP class and she took wonderful photos of those who wanted them so I do think there are people who would be willing to go at least that far but I have no idea how many would be willing to be part of a book. Lots of RVers participate in videos, though, so maybe.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There are lots of folks out there who were told they had a dumb idea. They ignored the naysayers and followed their hearts. Go for it. Remember the cemeteries are full of folks who are 'goingtooneday'.

Just take the advice above and get an authorization from your subjects for the 'possible' use of their image. Do the numbers. There are 10's of thousands of RVers out there. If you can get just 0.001% you will have a lot of images.

Good luck.

JimK I hope your reply was a poor attempt at humour! Totally uncalled for.

Even if you were serious then you should be made aware of the fact that cameras have things called lenses. Some of those lens can even photograph from a safe distance.

Why do folks always try to pull down anyone trying to create something they haven't the energy to do themselves?

There are practical concerns about dealing with others during the time of a pandemic.  RV life and travel during such times seems to be something many people want to ignore even though the recent infection rates show it is more important than ever.

There is nothing funny about hundreds of thousands dying from Covid.  Nor should we take precautions lightly.  Approaching strangers to discuss you hobby and to arrange for portraits is something I would avoid.

Edited by JimK