My HDT Hauler Conversion

BlaineM

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going to single it at 230" put a hauler bed on it for smart car, generator and water tank, ET hitch in the rear and side skirts with boxes, rear facing led back lights, and a hitch camera. Putting BluDot braking system on DRV camper for better proportioned braking, (thanks to Henry Szmyt for the suggestion)

Nice. That wheelbase, I'd be tempted to leave it tandem, but I know there's other requirements to meet as a tandem.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, BlaineM said:

That's a great Idea I may add a camera on top the cab also

We also did a portable winch which mounted in a stake pocket of the deck (enabled us to winch a smart car / quads / side by side on from the side vs having to drive them up).  I'm pretty sure it saved a fair amount of machine and bodily injury from happening.

😃

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Looks like you have a nice project, and a VERY nice shop in which to work.

So, where're ya located? Have you been to any rallies?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, steiny93 said:

mine was a similar wheelbase, I ended up with a pair of cameras; one on the hitch and a second on the back of the cab so I could watch whatever was riding on the deck, worked out great

I have the same. High on the cab looking down and the hitch camera. Makes backing up a breeze, and bob-tail, I can watch the tail-gaters.

Mine is 210" WB, and the bed build starts next week. I think I will keep it duals on the drives...for now. I did extend the bed 25" to accommodate a Wing, trike, Smart, ???.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Yeah, after I posted, I though to look at your profile.  It plainly said where you are hiding.  We're just west of Cincy, so if your passing through......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I had the camera high on the back of the cab but with the Smart on board I could not see the hitch so I moved it to the front of the hitch. Then I put a second camera on the back of the 5er. Now I'm covered for hitching up and to see behind while towing.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, BlaineM said:

Thanks, No rally's yet I am a newbie, I am in Hartville Ohio in between Akron and Canton

Hi Blaine,

Nice to see someone else from northeast Ohio. I'm in Canton myself. Nice looking shop. Maybe some day we might meet up.

Good luck with your truck,     Welcome to the forum. 😁
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

9 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Blaine,

Nice to see someone else from northeast Ohio. I'm in Canton myself. Nice looking shop. Maybe some day we might meet up.

Good luck with your truck,     Welcome to the forum. 😁
Al

Thanks Al, do you have an HDT hauler yourself. Maybe after we get this truck done we can meet up somewhere. 

13 hours ago, BlaineM said:

Thanks Al, do you have an HDT hauler yourself. Maybe after we get this truck done we can meet up somewhere. 

Hi Blaine,

I have 2012 Volvo VNL 630. It's white in color. I choose to keep the truck tandem. I know of a fellow up your way that I use to work with that has a metal working shop not to far from Congress Lake. It's been a few years since I have seen him. I think his shop could be still open. He does great work. Maybe some day we could meet up. Please keep us updated on your truck.

Al

3 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Blaine,

I have 2012 Volvo VNL 630. It's white in color. I choose to keep the truck tandem. I know of a fellow up your way that I use to work with that has a metal working shop not to far from Congress Lake. It's been a few years since I have seen him. I think his shop could be still open. He does great work. Maybe some day we could meet up. Please keep us updated on your truck.

Al

Thats cool, email me some pics of your rig when you get a second. Would love to see it. blainemiller1@gmail.com

On 10/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, BlaineM said:

Thats cool, email me some pics of your rig when you get a second. Would love to see it. blainemiller1@gmail.com

Hi Blaine,

I want to let you know that I saw your post. It could be a couple of days before I send you some pictures.

I hope your build is going good.
Al

Blaine   Really nic looking truck and a great shop. The horizontal drill motor with the long reach is used to drill holes thru the frame to the other side? Or what. Just wondering what its used for. Keep up the good work. And keep the pictures coming.   Pat

The Old Sailor

On 10/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, JPL said:

Blaine   Really nic looking truck and a great shop. The horizontal drill motor with the long reach is used to drill holes thru the frame to the other side? Or what. Just wondering what its used for. Keep up the good work. And keep the pictures coming.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Hey Pat, ya we used it dril frame bolts when we singled the truck