My HDT Hauler Conversion

BlaineM

5 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Blaine, love that ingenuity, you have a seriously 3D mind. That cardboard trick brought some memories.

TbnpPvwl.jpg

GEkQvgHl.jpg

I had the truck designed in CAD right down to 1/1000th of an inch.

p7aE1xql.jpg

We started measuring the truck with the frame on it before we torched some steel for the skirts and toolboxes. "What the hell" something is seriously off. Time for the old cardboard trick. Turned out that the truck had to be in an accident and seriously tweaked. There was almost an inch difference front to back between the left side and the right side.

Love the fact that you are "exposing" your design and fabrication process to the world at large, that's confidence!

There's definitely a lot to it, thx. Would love to see your end product.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, BlaineM said:

There's definitely a lot to it, thx. Would love to see your end product.

One of the things that I spotted was your transition from the wider deck to the narrower cab skirts, bravo, amazing what a little 45 degree corner does.

ueN4zePl.jpg

I cut the skirt radius straight up to make it work.

hPSuNSGl.jpg

You can see here how the angled cabinet corners blend with the skirts cut straight up. By the way what will you be storing in those vertical tanks?

xD7wRuMl.jpg

I extended the outer skins on all four storage units towards the tires and radiused these to form the tire skirts.

QsJgrezl.jpg

Finished conversion.

vIbnSCSl.jpg

yB4X7EOl.jpg

Husband steers the smart, wife operates the winch

hfgbMDXl.jpg

8gKdmg3l.jpg

Compartment mounted winch design details and the real thing

Enm44IGl.jpg

3jumKrNl.jpg

I finished the truck in February in an ass freezing weather in New Hampshire, moved to Florida after it was done.

45 minutes ago, trimster said:

What size winch did you settle on?

I don't remember exact model (one of Smittybilt units), I discussed it with customer, he bought it, I measured it and turned it into a CAD drawing.

9YIwsc5l.jpg

UU1F1ywl.jpg

I don't think it was the biggest one they make, Smart weighs 2,000 pounds and you are not lifting it, you are rolling it up the ramp, 4,000-6,000 pounds is way more that what you need. Maybe you can figure it out from the dimensions on the drawings.

iqX9PE7l.jpg

CG5LpSXl.jpg

It had a manual control with an umbilical which plugged into that square controller attached to the left side of the winch.

Hi Blaine,

Great looking work. Please keep the pictures coming. Love those tail lights. They look cool !  😎 

Question for you. Do you have any side marker lights on the bed ?

Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

8 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Blaine,

Great looking work. Please keep the pictures coming. Love those tail lights. They look cool !  😎 

Question for you. Do you have any side marker lights on the bed ?

Al

Yes I do have side markers, pictures coming soon. 😁

It appears you have built other things too.  You have too many nice touches for this to be the first.  Could you share?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

It appears you have built other things too.  You have too many nice touches for this to be the first.  Could you share?

Not really, my friend who owns the shop has built a ton of stuff. So there is a lot of experience behind this build. I built a harley from scratch years ago by myself but that was the last thing I actually built till this truck. Its been a lot of fun. 

On 12/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, BlaineM said:

Not really, my friend who owns the shop has built a ton of stuff. So there is a lot of experience behind this build. I built a harley from scratch years ago by myself but that was the last thing I actually built till this truck. Its been a lot of fun. 

Great work. Definitely doesn’t look like it was done by someone with little experience. 

• 2 weeks later...