My HDT Hauler Conversion

BlaineM

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you've marked what appear to be steps on the side behind the tires.  Will there be some sort of hand rail too?  Nice touch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, BlaineM said:

Planning on bed liner for the bed and automotive paint for the skirts and boxes

When I had mine built the fabricator talked me into using Tremclad (similar to Rustoleum) on the deck.  His reasoning was it made it simpler if I wanted add any welded brackets or move chocks etc.  Also a gallon of paint is cheap if you want to refresh the deck every couple of years.  So far it has been a good move.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

When I had mine built the fabricator talked me into using Tremclad (similar to Rustoleum) on the deck.  His reasoning was it made it simpler if I wanted add any welded brackets or move chocks etc.  Also a gallon of paint is cheap if you want to refresh the deck every couple of years.  So far it has been a good move.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel I will keep that in mind!

Something tells me that you'll figure out a way to meet the requirements and make it look great.👍

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I don’t want to “preach” but there is a required pattern of lights on large vehicles to signify “not a car or light truck” just before you rear end it in a snowstorm or wheel out to pass and oops it’s 65’ 72” long 🤣...

It involves tail lights and the “group of three” middle lights, etc

You can have more than minimum ( see “cow trucks” and “reefers”)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

51 minutes ago, noteven said:

I don’t want to “preach” but there is a required pattern of lights on large vehicles to signify “not a car or light truck” just before you rear end it in a snowstorm or wheel out to pass and oops it’s 65’ 72” long 🤣...

It involves tail lights and the “group of three” middle lights, etc

You can have more than minimum ( see “cow trucks” and “reefers”)

Not to worry, the truck will be compliant I just haven't decided on the exact lights/markers yet. We definitely know the DOT rules.

From the work and environment it looks like this aint your first rodeo!!!

What are using to weld this together Cobra, Alumapro?      Great looking bed and details.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

43 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

From the work and environment it looks like this aint your first rodeo!!!

What are using to weld this together Cobra, Alumapro?      Great looking bed and details.

Steve 

ok so we are mig welding with a miller 350p pulse welder with an aluma pro push pull gun, the tig welding is with a miller sycrowave welder square wave machine for most outside body welding. Hope this answers your question. 

On 11/6/2020 at 6:00 AM, BlaineM said:

More elements coming together.

URL%5DURL%5DURL%5D.URL%5D.

Blaine, love that ingenuity, you have a seriously 3D mind. That cardboard trick brought some memories.

TbnpPvwl.jpg

GEkQvgHl.jpg

I had the truck designed in CAD right down to 1/1000th of an inch.

p7aE1xql.jpg

We started measuring the truck with the frame on it before we torched some steel for the skirts and toolboxes. "What the hell" something is seriously off. Time for the old cardboard trick. Turned out that the truck had to be in an accident and seriously tweaked. There was almost an inch difference front to back between the left side and the right side.

Love the fact that you are "exposing" your design and fabrication process to the world at large, that's confidence!

Edited by phoenix2013