My HDT Hauler Conversion

BlaineM

48 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Nice!  What kind of finish are you planning on? Paint? Polished? Bed Liner?

Engine turned? Looking good.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Nice!  What kind of finish are you planning on? Paint? Polished? Bed Liner?

bed liner on the top, and probably an automotive base coat clear coat on the sides to match the truck. i will leave the inside of the boxes plain aluminum. 

May I ask why you chose aluminum?  Most of us have steel, and in heavy gauge, for more weight.  Of course, depending on your wheelbase and hitch weight, you might be at the limit, in which case I just answered my question.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Blaine - 

That body is looking great.  Are you planning to isolate the body from truck frame flex like is done with aluminum tanker bodies? 

They use an L bracket with some springs and long bolts. The sills of the body are isolated from the frame rails by strips of rubber or hardwood.  A visit to your local tanker carrier or truck stop with your image phone in hand ... 

By the looks of your workmanship you probably know about 100% of this already :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

May I ask why you chose aluminum?  Most of us have steel, and in heavy gauge, for more weight.  Of course, depending on your wheelbase and hitch weight, you might be at the limit, in which case I just answered my question.

Aluminum:

1. Doesn't rust every time it gets a little chip or used in winter.... 

2. Saves tare weight so you can ballast the unit correctly with motorcycles, ATV's, side by each's, 4x4's, beer, water, 100's of tools, and other important stuff

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 hours ago, jenandjon said:

You need a storage box right here.

123437705-3242353502529432-2666367181547

I agree. Now is the time to do it if there is room. I would also consider putting one on the other side also. Can never have to much storage space.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:52 PM, noteven said:

Hi Blaine - 

That body is looking great.  Are you planning to isolate the body from truck frame flex like is done with aluminum tanker bodies? 

They use an L bracket with some springs and long bolts. The sills of the body are isolated from the frame rails by strips of rubber or hardwood.  A visit to your local tanker carrier or truck stop with your image phone in hand ... 

By the looks of your workmanship you probably know about 100% of this already :)

You got it, the main bed frame rails are setting on 3/8 rubber that is glued down to the truck frame rails to eliminate electrolysis.  

On 10/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, noteven said:

Aluminum:

1. Doesn't rust every time it gets a little chip or used in winter.... 

2. Saves tare weight so you can ballast the unit correctly with motorcycles, ATV's, side by each's, 4x4's, beer, water, 100's of tools, and other important stuff

All the above, not to mention no need to powder coat everything including the inside if the boxes, they can just stay uncoated. No more expensive in my area  than steel either and much lighter to work with. 

Looking very  good, thanks for the photos and updates. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 2 weeks later...