Getting ready to start Full time

Boris0119

I have a question. I currently have a 2019 Puma Unleashed 381FTB that we have been out in 3 times for three day weekends. We are about a year from retirement and are getting ready to full time. The question I have is, I found a 2011 New Horizons toyhauler for sale at the New Horizons factory. This unit has been reconditioned by the factory and from the photos looks good. I know that the Puma I currently have is entry level but is also new. So would it be an upgrade to move from this 2019 Puma to a 2011New Horizon? The asking price is right and actually my Puma is paid for and the NADA value of my unit is slightly more than the asking price of the New Horizons.

The New Horizons is definitely a step up from the Puma in quality.  If the floor plan is something you like, then it would definitely be worth a look.  You don’t mention what your tow vehicle is.  A New Horizons toy hauler is going to be heavy and I suspect significantly heavier than your Puma.  Make sure your tow vehicle can handle the weight.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

20 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

Boris we are camped 5 min away from new horizon if there is any pictures that you want of it that they don’t show I can send them to you or any other info you need. We are waiting for ours to be built so will be here awhile 

The photos on their site ( external)

43 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

The New Horizons is definitely a step up from the Puma in quality.  If the floor plan is something you like, then it would definitely be worth a look.  You don’t mention what your tow vehicle is.  A New Horizons toy hauler is going to be heavy and I suspect significantly heavier than your Puma.  Make sure your tow vehicle can handle the weight.

just show the front back and off door side, I requested photos of the door side yesterday.

My tow vehicle is a 2014 F450

2 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

Ok if you need inside pictures and they don’t get them to you it’s no problem for us to send them  

The exterior door side would be nice. They had some decent photos of the interior. Floor plan is similar to what I have. Just think it would be a decent upgrade for when we retire. My only concern was the age

You've got an F450?  Yeah, your tow vehicle is fine!   Don't think there's an RV out there that an F450 can't pull!  Heh.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

21 hours ago, Boris0119 said:

My only concern was the age

I wouldn't worry about the age, particularly if it's been reconditioned by the factory.  New Horizons builds a quality unit, second to none, and made for fulltiming.  It'll more than likely outlast the newer Puma, if you take proper care of it.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

You may want to check on when this 2011 unit was actually built. This MAY and I say may be a unit that was actually built in 2008 or 2009. Have them send the serial number or coach number (they number all of their units). Also, have them them send pictures of the build dates of the appliances; refer, microwave, tv, etc.....

I know it sounds crazy but you may want to at least check this out.

7 minutes ago, fly2low said:

By all accounts New Horizon is a reputable company that stands behind their units.  If it has been factory reconditioned, I am not sure that the exact year makes a difference. 

My post is only to point out that the unit may have actually been built 3 or 4 years earlier than how they have advertised and registered the unit. Trust me, there are a few of these units out there.

I have looked at the ad and I have my suspicions. Windows are a prime example. In 2011 NH used flush mount windows. This unit has the old style windows. The window frames are also white. This WAS an unpainted unit that was painted after the fact.

If I was looking at this unit I would want to know when it actually rolled off the line. It's still a well made unit but could be had for much less with a little homework.

I would also look at the side lamination if it has sat this long. I'm speaking from a place of experience and trying to share my limited knowledge

36 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

It has had the off door side replaced (Skin)and the door side slide (skin) .looks good for the age but needs new floor coverings

Those things make me wonder if it had storm damage. Things like hurricanes and floods are not good for RVs.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Just verified looking at the pictures on the NH site. The sticker for tire pressures in the cabinet is dated 9/2008. This sticker from 2008 has the same serial number that is on the trailer weight sticker below it. This is a 12 year old unit.

The sticker even indicates that this was made prior to their move to Lacy Dr.

Picture

Edited by DonCoyote

New Horizon build a solid unit for sure and one that will last many many years if maintained. I don't know if you are looking at NH specifically or a Toy Hauler only but I do know of a 40' 2020 NH that's about to go on the market.   

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

You should call them to be sure. Email is easy to miss or ignore. They may not think that you are serious. 

Keep in mind that your present trailer will work too if you are happy with it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI