Finally going to get the big truck out for a trip

runaway parents

What a screwed up year couldn't make it to the wcr this year do to the work situation and four weeks ago  we got hit with a $4,200.00 domestic water bill needless to say we have a new water line from the meter out at the street all the way into the house 4 separate leeks. This thing decided to go all at once. Truck has been sitting all year . That is going to change .We are going to live up to our call name. We are going to hook up the trailer and runaway. Like the song says I've got a quarter heads Carolina tails California. Honestly any where would be great

50 minutes ago, podwerkz said:

Those city water departments don't give a damn do they?

How many gallons did they show that you used? Whatever the amount, you would think someone would have noticed a lake forming in the vicinity!

Or most have the ability to offer periodic reporting with algorithms to show daily usage, yet wont provide a courtosy call or email or text to advise that usage is spiking for the last few days???  Technology is available to do good.  If they are going to watch our activities, then be part of the SOLUTION!

Marcel

I most certainly would not pay for any more than your prior highest ever normal usage and force them to expend as much money as you will spend paying an outrageous bill. Now if you filled your swimming pool multiple times then...............

Please do not allow a public utility to do this to you. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

Or most have the ability to offer periodic reporting with algorithms to show daily usage, yet wont provide a courtosy call or email or text to advise that usage is spiking for the last few days???  Technology is available to do good.  If they are going to watch our activities, then be part of the SOLUTION!

I had a break on my water main, the city turned the water off before I knew it was a problem.     The water use was not waved but, the sewer fees were.      The amount or rate of flow has to exceed an alarm level to get noticed.      In Hutchinson the earthquakes have caused many old water mains to fail.     I was unfortunate enough to have it fail on my side of the meter.

Steve     

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

27 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I had a break on my water main, the city turned the water off before I knew it was a problem.     The water use was not waved but, the sewer fees were.      The amount or rate of flow has to exceed an alarm level to get noticed.      In Hutchinson the earthquakes have caused many old water mains to fail.     I was unfortunate enough to have it fail on my side of the meter.

Steve     

Bummer!  Sounds like typical Los Angeles water main breaks that have become so common place.

Marcel

Hmmmm...  If you had 4 leaks, the usage could have crept up over a long time.  The water company might not notice if it snuck up on them.  However, if all of a sudden usage spiked, that's another matter.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like us, $400. water bill and $600. electric bill. AC/Heatpump both were running at the same time. Then county was mowing and tractor ran over our meter. Leak was on our side of the meter.🤬 Water bill was taken care of. Electric bill the same just a new unit. What's next??

Normal water bill $40 normal electric $200.

event.png

We had a couple of water lines freeze in a crawl space.  We were traveling but a neighbor spotted water coming out of our garage.   We went to the water company and talked with the manager.  Luckily they didn't run the water bill through as we had auto pay setup through our bank.  They noticed the high amount and didn't process it.  They also agreed to divide the bill by ten.  The water bill unfortunately was the least of our worries.  We had insurance  and they paid nearly $300,000 to fix our home.  We spent a year living in the RV during this.  Of course we had deductible that we had to pay and there we other losses.  For us the water bill was the least of our worries.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift