Yuma to Washington state

22 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

I-95 is an Interstate highway...

Rob

I believe he is talking about US95 which is not an Interstate.  I believe it is a two lane highway.  At least in Arizona it is.

GaryD

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

3 minutes ago, usbusin said:

I believe he is talking about US95 which is not an Interstate.  I believe it is a two lane highway.  At least in Arizona it is.

GaryD

You are correct - my bad. It is a US Highway. It is largely two-lane but an excellent road surface. The Mountain Directory shows no steep grades, etc.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

My memory is fallible but I remember it having regular pullouts or passing lanes so slower vehicles did not greatly impede faster ones. We found it to be a viable route for heading north to see Dave's brother in White Bird, Idaho. Do be mentally prepared for White Bird Hill.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We travel US-95 at least once a year between Washington and Yuma.  It's a good two-lane road with no grades to speak of...unless you plan on traveling US-95 in Idaho as Linda mentioned (White Bird Hill can be a bear going up or coming down). 

However, if your destination in Washington is Sequim, I would not travel through Idaho, getting off US-95 at some point.  There are lots of ways to go depending on how much time you want to take.  If it were us and we wanted to stick with US-95, we'd take it to I-84 in Idaho, just before Ontario, ID.  There *is* a grade on US-95 after crossing over from Oregon to Idaho, but it'll be downhill going north.  And, of course, traveling I-84, you'll have to go over the Blue Mountains...a grade going up and quite a grade going back down toward Pendleton.  As long as you are familiar with mountain driving, you shouldn't have any problems.

Alternatively, at Burns Junction in Oregon (where US-95 turns and heads east toward Idaho), you could take ID-78 into Burns, OR and take US-395 north to I-84.  There are some grades on ID-78 into Burns, but nothing too bad, and it avoids going over the Blues...although we travel over the Blues usually twice a year, and, despite the grades, it's a good road.  Just check the weather and make sure the roads are clear and don't have snow/ice on them.  Of course, if you're going this time of year, that won't be a problem.  It's actually a beautiful drive.

Anyway, once on I-84 headed west, go all the way to I-5 and take it north to US-101 just south of Olympia, WA and then north to Sequim.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Having grandchildren in Sequim, we have traveled to it many times from many different places. Unless there is a particular reason that you want to take US95, I would leave that route at Quartzsite and go west to I-5 in CA. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I would leave that route at Quartzsite and go west to I-5 in CA

I guess that Kirk means using I10W and with a bit of navigating, take the I5N up the Grapevine at Santa Clarita area.  This route is all freeway but be aware that these are busy  at times.

Marcel

2 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I guess that Kirk means using I10W and with a bit of navigating, take the I5N up the Grapevine at Santa Clarita area.  This route is all freeway but be aware that these are busy  at times.

I should have said that or go on to Needles and take I-40 to Barstow and then cut over through Bakersfield to I-5. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you go through Bakersfield consider spending a night at the Orange Grove RV Park. You literally park between the trees and are invited to pick any oranges you can reach. I have no vested interest in the park, I just think it's a fun thing to do.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I had to bee-line it from AZ to WA and took I10 to Hwy 5 and found the freeway road surfaces very rough in Southern California - beat.
Hwy 99 north to Hwy 5 was smooth sailing though.  
I used rest stops to overnight.  And drove 500 miles per day.
'Twas not a pleasant journey.

Hwy 95 is pretty desolate in places.  Make sure your rig is in good mechanical condition.
I've seen an occasional Nevada highway patrol car on 95 - I think that they cruise it a couple times a day looking for stranded motorists.
Watch the temperatures. . .I've never driven it this late in the year - you might see some extremes.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

If you go through Bakersfield consider spending a night at the Orange Grove RV Park. You literally park between the trees and are invited to pick any oranges you can reach. I have no vested interest in the park, I just think it's a fun thing to do.

Linda

Orange Grove RV Park was sold and the oranges are now sold by the owner instead of left on the trees for guests.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

4 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

Orange Grove RV Park was sold and the oranges are now sold by the owner instead of left on the trees for guests.

Bummer! Thanks for the update, though.

Linda

20 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

US 95 is closed in Nevada due to the 6.5 earthquake early this AM. This article will show the mile marker.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/64-earthquake-nevada-tonopah

It's already open.

Even if it weren't, the bypass is to continue heading west on US-6 and then take NV-360 north to where it intersects with US-95.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...