2020 Trip to Maine-comments & suggestions pls

ARGO

Well, the ECR blow out was a distinct disappointment. (Up yours, COVID!).  Looks like we may try Maine this year if the plague lets us. Asking for suggested CG's, areas to visit, etc. We are more sea-oriented than inland. Times/areas to avoid such as the love-bug swarm down south. Any help appreciated. Going from Baltimore probably avoid NYC, go up & over.   

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

We went there a few years ago we went from illinois to okrakoke island then from there up the coast and around nyc. We stayed at a inn on bailey island, no campground but at Acadia National park there is, looked like pretty good size sites and plenty to do and see there. Plenty of lobster shacks on the way there. 

Maine and almost anywhere near the coast is great but from a lot of things I have seen they might have a very short season. I saw one article that the Amusement & Waterpark in one area will not even open this year, now of course that is I am sure not what your looking for but not sure what else might be affected by all this mess.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

It's been a long time since we've been up that way (2003), but we kept going, to PEI and Nova Scotia.  With a very favorable exchange rate, and incredible scenery along the coasts, it was quite memorable.  New Brunswick is the lobster capital of the world, and Digby scallops are incredible.  Motorcycling the Cabot Trail was a treat too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was a Maine resident for many decades.  For visitors (known locally as people from away) anything before July 4 is pretty early.  Cold, wet and buggy.  (The joke is that we have five seasons, fall, winter, mud season, bug season and July).  July is good.  August is great.  September starts to cool off pretty early but there is wonderful weather that time of year.  October can be beautiful but stormy and pretty cool at the end.. The coast will be cooler than inland throughout the summer and early fall.  Then it switches.

I suggest calling campgrounds now to get an idea of where they think they will be in a few months.  My guess is they don't know, but they may keep you informed by email if you let them know you are interested.  The state is still under pretty heavy restrictions.  Presently, anyone coming from out of state needs to quarantine for 14 days.  I don't know when that is going to end or whether it applies every time you change campgrounds. 

Usually coastal campgrounds are pretty well booked up by now, but this mess is turning everything on its head.  You may have to book further inland and visit the coast. 

Be aware that coastal traffic  can be pretty brutal between July 4 and Labor Day.  There are times when the traffic on andoff-island from Bar Harbor can be more than an hour. 

The two weeks following Labor Day are some of my favorite times in the state.  The bugs are mostly gone.  Temperatures are moderate but not yet too cold (there will be chilly nights).  The bulk of the tourists are gone after Labor Day although weekends can get pretty busy.  There are no hunters in the woods and fewer boaters on the lakes, rivers and sea.

Wayne from Maine

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

We made our one trip to Maine one September, leaving September 21st (our daughter needed a ride to the airport that day) and traveling slowly southward making lots of sightseeing stops along the way. We managed to stay in peak leaf color season a LONG time that year. You can follow that trip, if you'd like to do so starting here: https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2010/09/the-kanc-3/

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you want an RV park away from  hustle and horns, look at Pumpkin Patch RV park, it's W of Bangor, approx. 60 miles from the CA/USA border, yet the coast is a easy a day-trip.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our plans for Maine have been cancelled by the campgrounds and they have already sent refunds. The Governor has closed the campgrounds to all out of state campers. The campgrounds have told us they are not sure when they will be allowed to have out of staters.

event.png