Telescoping Ladder

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I would like to buy a telescoping ladder to take with me in the trailer. I have a 5th wheel trailer. I have a few questions. I know that there are several different brands out there. I would like to know what brand are you going with. I have read some reviews on line but I would like to hear from people actual using a telescoping ladder. Some of the reviews talk about pinch points on the ladder. What else should I be aware of ? What height do you think is best ?

Open to all input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have a Werner.  300lb capacity.  Unfolds and extends to about 10 feet, I think.  Never been pinched by it.  Got it at Lowes several years ago.  Fully extended I can just about get to the top of my 5er with one or 2 rungs left over.  I don't like using the top rung ever.  I can't see how anyone can be pinched by one of these unless you're careless.  If it is too heavy to fold standing up, lay it on a side and push the pins in.

I have three of the telescoping "step ladders."  The big one is a Little Giant.  Heavy, pricey, and the best by far.  Best weight rating too.  When yer on the wrong side of 300#, that matters.  Next is the Werner from Lowes.  Pretty good.  We keep it at the house.  Last is the POS Louisville from Home Depot.  Stay away from it.

All can pinch you if you're not paying attention.  

We also inherited a telescoping ladder ( I believe this is what Alan was asking about) from our daughter and her hubby.  It was one that goes out one section at a time, up to about 13'.  Bottom three rungs were broken, and they were throwing it away.  I took it apart and made a nice 10' out of it.  It will be going the camper for the smaller member of the team.  We've not tried it yet.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I bought one of these about a year ago at Walmart after looking at the lighter weight telescoping ladders. It fits in the storage area under my motorhome just under my fresh water tank perfectly. It's a little heavier at 25 lbs but has less flex and is way sturdier, (rated for 330 lbs) especially on uneven ground. The wide rubber feet give added stability top and bottom and don't scratch my RV. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-12-5FT-Heavy-Duty-Multi-Purpose-Folding-Step-Ladder-Platform-Extendable-Scaffold-Ladder-Aluminum-7-in-1-Extension-Step-Lightweight-330LB/589037158?athcpid=589037158&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=6da4ee66-6df-16f54499bd4ad3&athancid=null&athena=true

Chip

By telescoping ladder, I assume that you mean one like the first picture and not like the second one? 

61WdgdbJKOL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg                           71C+26q36sL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

I have never really trusted the telescoping ones like the first picture, but have known many that do. The ladder that I have had in our RV for many years is different from either of these but is a folding one and not telescoping. What I have carried for nearly 20 years is the 7' compact ladder like this one. It fold up into a square of about 6" each side and 7' in length.

519u-ASD3JL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Something to remember about the ratings: The higher the rating, the better stability the ladder will have. A lower rating may support the load, but it will flex more, and be more prone walking. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

A bit off topic:

30 yr FF here.  Don't trust a/the "built in" (factory) ladder which comes on many RVs - especially 5th wheels! 

Very bad "climbing angle".  However, it is useful for a "tie off" at the top (on one side) for your telescoping (or?)  ladder.

BTW - the city I worked for had a Little Giant among the ladder "choices" on our Truck (Ladder) Companies, long before Werner was available.  (And *no* "telescoping" ladders, LOL.)

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I had a telescoping ladder ,it was fine until it got scored /damaged ,the locking mechanism then became unreliable.

A light sanding /smoothing helped for a while ,all in all is was too easily damaged and a tiny scrape rendered it dangerous .Once it started to retract while I was on it ,my hand was trapped by a rung and the roof of the trailer ,my weight prevented me from freeing my hand which was jammed .

kind of funny now 

scrapped it ,(we called it the ladder of death)

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

On 12/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, sandsys said:

Our Little Giant was way too heavy to take in our RVs.

Linda Sand

The telescoping ladder "Mesa" posted would be a good alternative.

Just remember, the old (FD) saying when lowering a ladder with sections:  Fingers and Toes!

For the telescoping ladders - you only need worry about......"FINGERS!"

Be sure to have (careful)  "practice sessions" - no matter which one you choose!

19 hours ago, hone eagle said:

I had a telescoping ladder ,it was fine until it got scored /damaged ,the locking mechanism then became unreliable.

A light sanding /smoothing helped for a while ,all in all is was too easily damaged and a tiny scrape rendered it dangerous .Once it started to retract while I was on it ,my hand was trapped by a rung and the roof of the trailer ,my weight prevented me from freeing my hand which was jammed .

kind of funny now 

scrapped it ,(we called it the ladder of death)

Hi Ralf,

I'll have to tell me the story in person when we all get together in Tenn.

All the info has been great. If anyone has any more info, please post it. It is helping with a decision.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 12/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, sandsys said:

Disregard the quote box.. I don't know how to make it go away.

Al, You don't need to be concerned with ladder weight, but safety is at the top of the list.  Go get a Little Giant.  Long after the sting i=of it's cost is gone, you'll appreciate the quality.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Disregard the quote box.. I don't know how to make it go away.

Al, You don't need to be concerned with ladder weight, but safety is at the top of the list.  Go get a Little Giant.  Long after the sting i=of it's cost is gone, you'll appreciate the quality.

If you get a Little Giant get that kick step thing. It makes standing on the ladder MUCH better. And the thing that comes with it lets your ladder straddle a window that might otherwise be in the way of your project.  We used both but particularly the platform. https://www.littlegiantladder.com/collections/home-top-accessories/products/2-accessory-bundle

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Ralf,

I'll have to tell me the story in person when we all get together in Tenn.

All the info has been great. If anyone has any more info, please post it. It is helping with a decision.

Al

yup   had a eternity to contemplate a weight loss program

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

On 12/29/2019 at 6:59 PM, sushidog said:

bought one of these about a year ago at Walmart after looking at the lighter weight telescoping ladders. It fits in the storage area under my motorhome just under my fresh water tank perfectly. It's a little heavier at 25 lbs but has less flex and is way sturdier, (rated for 330 lbs) especially on uneven ground. The wide rubber feet give added stability top and bottom and don't scratch my RV. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-12-5FT-Heavy-Duty-Multi-Purpose-Folding-Step-Ladder-Platform-Extendable-Scaffold-Ladder-Aluminum-7-in-1-Extension-Step-Lightweight-330LB/589037158?athcpid=589037158&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=6da4ee66-6df-16f54499bd4ad3&athancid=null&athena=true

These are a pain to setup and take down if you have not had one.

Terry