cash app

GlennWest

22 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I wasn't trying to be funny.  So, my friend has to have the app on his phone also?  So, everyone has to have the same app?  I mean, everyone uses the same currency for a couple of hundred years now, and that's why cash works.  How does my buddy take the bar code to the car wash and get coins or tokens from the change machine? 

My only point was, it ain't "just like cash".  I've never run into anyone who wouldn't take cash.  I don't have any friends who use the CASH app.

I certainly understand using these apps for business.  I use very little cash, mostly just for buying a cup of coffee or paying between friends, like my example.  Until everyone is on the same page and using a standardized app, I think I'll continue to carry a little cash.

The app is a convenience for us.  We don't carry any real "cash" anymore, so when your buddy says you owe me $12.50 I say "okay I just sent it to you" and he gets $12.50 deposited into his bank account.  Same with babysitters and splitting the dinner check with a friend.  There's no scanning, but your buddy does need to be registered with the app so you can send him money to his bank.  It's just like using a debit card between people....

Edited by ewacowboy

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

The only "pay" apps I use is Walmart pay and Paypal. I find even Walmart Pay more time consuming than using my CC. With Walmart Pay, I need to connect to their wifi, put in my security code and then scan the QR code. The only reason I use Walmart Pay is I like having my receipt right on my phone. This allows me to compare prices if at a different store and no paper to deal with. I find using my CC so much easier, just put it into the reader, sometimes sign(mostly not) and I am done with it but then I have a piece of paper.

Until all these pay apps work themselves out, or if one becomes dominant I am not interested. Even then, I would only be interested if the receipt is on my phone also.

CC are getting faster to use with the ability to "tap" a card, not wide spread but it is coming.

I guess I'll be one of the hold outs on this phone paying thingy.  It's not that I don't like tech.  I was working in a computer center in 1968 when I got drafted.  I've owned personal computers since they were available.  During the late 80's and throughout the 90's I bought and sold computer components and built computers for others.  I haven't had a landline in 20 years.  I get it.

However, as long as I can pay for things with my credit card and earn 5%, I guess I'll still leave my phone at home or in the truck.  I just don't get the need to carry a phone with me everywhere.  It's like nowadays, the phone is attached to people at the hip, can't go anywhere without it.  I've heard people talking about using their phone while on the toilet.  Really?  There's nothing more aggravating to me than trying to carry on a conversation with someone who is constantly monkey fingering their phone.  To me, the person or activity in front of me is more important than what's on the other end of that electronic device.

So, when my buddies kick my butt at the bowling alley, I'll continue to pay off my bet with a couple of one dollar bills or some quarters or on some occasions a handful of pennies just for spite.  When they quit taking cash, maybe I'll do something else.  😀

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I still get the rewards when using Apple Pay.  Just select the credit card and hold the phone near the terminal (which takes a few seconds to find the correct corner) and I hear the ding!  That's it.  I always have my phone on me, why wouldn't I use it rather than digging through my wallet?

And yes, I've had my phone with me in the bathroom - - you don't know my daughter, but when she wants to unwind she'll vent to mom and dad.   Before we had speaker phones, we would hand each other the phone so that she would have someone saying "uh, oh, I'm sorry, great, hmmm, ...."  as needed.   :D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Before we had speaker phones, we would hand each other the phone so that she would have someone saying "uh, oh, I'm sorry, great, hmmm, ...."  as needed.

Now you both get to suffer!  ☺️ I don't think that sons are quite as bad. We do have a daughter-in-law who does that too but she prefers Pam for that most times and I approve. On rare occasion she selects me and I just deal with it those times. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 10/19/2019 at 3:10 AM, SWharton said:

i paid my housekeeper, yard guy

Those are the two people I pay with Zelle.  They don't take Paypal because of the fees.  If you are paying professionals via Paypal and there are no fees, it's because they are violating the agreement by operating a business and taking personal payments.

Zelle is an inter-bank integration system that rides over the ACH system.  It's actually an ACH under the skirt.  The Zelle system is supported by most banks and basically pre-clears the ACH, makes it instantly available, then the true ACH completes in the background.  You don't have to sign up for another system; it's built in to your bank account already.

For personal payments, Apple Pay is also great.  I split a tab with a friend, he simply sends me half via a button right in the text messaging app.  I don't hang out with any Android users, I'm racist that way.

It's the other way around.  Paypal only works with other people who use Paypal.  I know people who don't use it and won't.  Zelle works with everyone, it doesn't depend on your bank or CU.  Only ultra-tiny, non-modernized local banks and CUs don't support it.  I've never found any bank that doesn't, though I know they exist.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess i am strange. 

i like “cash”  no app needed. 

only money transfer i use is via my bank ( for bills) saves me on stamps. and pay pal money transfer. used rarely.

with all these other apps the market is messed up as who accepts who?

and in reading from that link, one money program has a spy program were others can watch your money dealing. thats just wrong.

The market isn't bad at all.  I only know one single person who--by choice--doesn't use any of the common ones.  Over 95% of people with bank accounts have access to Zelle.  You probably do.  I've sent money to people who don't even know they can use Zelle, so they get a message asking them to accept my money (or decline it).  Zelle is just built into most banks.  Paypal is extremely prevalent, and I only know a couple people who don't use it.  So there's only a single person I ever have to write a check to or pay cash (I don't use cash, so she gets a check).  And only because she chose to decline Zelle out of insane fear.  Her husband uses it.  In the same bank.

Edited by Carlos

On 10/21/2019 at 3:02 PM, filthy-beast said:

Zelle is how my kids prefer to send and get money, so I have used it a few times.

Wow!  Your kids send YOU money?  That's a switch!! 🤑

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 10/19/2019 at 6:10 AM, SWharton said:

i paid my housekeeper, yard guy and all sorts of other people via Paypal when we traveled during the winter and never paid a fee. I never heard of Zelle unil this thread but then I have no generally have no need for these type of programs.

Before you use Zelle, read the fine print closely. 5/3 bank offers the option to send money via Zelle, however after reading the fine print I declined. I can do the same thing through 5/3's online payment feature better and easier, + I retain the banks safety features.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Person to person Payoneer is free, just like Zelle.  It may or may not matter, but Zelle happens in seconds, and Payoneer happens in a few hours.  For service providers and merchants, there is a pretty stiff fee which makes card fees look cheap.  Zelle is US-only, while Payoneer is nearly global.  Zelle is built into most bank web sites and apps, while Payoneer requires you to sign up for it, just like Paypal and the other apps.  I've never met someone who uses it, this is the first time I've heard someone talk about it outside the tech circles.  It's probably more popular outside the US, where there aren't as many choices.