We all know Jetpack creates a vacuum

ARGO

Read all the recent threads on this. Looks like those of us that got screwed now know it, I have a 6620 w/4 mos left to go. SO- what is the answer? Upgrade?

Do newer units download faster for more viewing? Sell it on Craig's? Float test it? NO WAY I'm paying $15 extra for EACH extra GB of data. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

The 6620 should keep going for 4 months.  My 7730 needed a new battery, so I got one from Amazon and it still works.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

30 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

The 6620 should keep going for 4 months.  My 7730 needed a new battery, so I got one from Amazon and it still works.  

FWIW I use a "smart outlet" to control the charging of my 7730L so that it's less likely to ruin its battery.  No, the batteries aren't expensive, but I am always concerned about swollen lithium ion batteries.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Not worried about it dying, contract is up in 4 months & I may microwave it myself. Complaint is "Limited-unlimited" view time. We're lucky to get 6 hrs of TV w/o buffering in the middle of a show. Not fulltimers, not worth going satellite unless can be used at home too. Solutions, PLEASE!

Lots of part time RV'ers have Dish or DirecTV installed at home and either take their home receiver and a suitable antenna on the road with them or add a separate receiver to their account for use in the RV. The add-on monthly cost of the additional receiver is minimal. That said, we have Dish sat service and both Verizon and AT&T hotspot unlimited data services for our fulltime RV. The cell service quality varies from location to location, but we've rarely been anywhere that one or the other service didn't give us pretty solid streaming with minimal brief buffering at worst. We do use a good cell booster/repeater in fringe areas though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

TKS! Been looking at Tailgater. We currently use Jetpack and Sling TV. Looks like I could cancel both & almost break even. What model TG do you have, and would you buy that one again? Cost of #2 receiver? Would you buy used?

2 hours ago, ARGO said:

Not worried about it dying, contract is up in 4 months & I may microwave it myself. Complaint is "Limited-unlimited" view time. We're lucky to get 6 hrs of TV w/o buffering in the middle of a show. Not fulltimers, not worth going satellite unless can be used at home too. Solutions, PLEASE!

I think you've conflated issues with your Jetpack device with issues related to the cellular plan it is on.  If you're on a standard Verizon plan with 15GB/mo of LTE then it's not surprising that you are only getting ~6 hours of video before it starts buffering. The problem isn't with the Jetpack itself.  

What you need to do IMO is find an unlimited cellular plan that will meet your needs. For example, we have an AT&T hotspot through OTR Mobile which works well and is currently available.  We also have an unlimited Verizon prepaid hotspot that isn't available any longer, but Verizon Visible is a decent substitute for it. The total cost of both of our hotspots is ~$125.

Personally, I would avoid making any investment in satellite hardware at this time.  It is 20-year-old technology and both Dish and DirecTV are losing customers at the rate of hundreds of thousands per calendar quarter.   I'm not saying that either one is going to go out of business anytime soon, but IMO it's possible that satellite TV will be directed at a "niche" market of those customers who don't have any other way of receiving TV.  The vast majority of TV viewers will get their video via streaming on the internet.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Tks for the explanation. Yeah, the 15GB is the problem. We are not fulltimers, and if I can get a tailgater cheap enough we could use it at home as well, carry it when we go. We don't have & don't want to spend for Inet for just the weekends. Inet at home is paid for by my wife's employer & we can't piggyback ANYTHING else on it like streaming, HGTV, etc. 

The Tailgaters are poor choices compared to the Winegard Pathway X2 when it comes to automatic aiming dome style portable dishes. The Tailgaters are limited to only the full Dish western arc set of three satellites, with some models adding just one of the three eastern arc satellites. The X2 not only can receive both full sets of satellites, it also has a larger reflector for stronger signals with less rain fade. Having both arc sets available means you have much better chances of getting a good signal on heavily treed campsites. Both the Tailgater and Winegard dishes can only be used with the currently Dish Wally receiver and older VIP211 series receivers. None of the dome style dishes can be used with the more advanced Dish Hopper DVR series receivers. 

Dutch

Tks, just the feedback I need. I see one on Ebay for $340, good deal?  Any way to put it on a pole? Anyway to keep it from walking, like the security lock thingy on laptops or?

Edited by ARGO
spelling

Well, we have seen several RV parks that have permanent residents, either working jobs across the country or whatever. I want to be able to say the same thing when I'm done RV'ing.  Anybody else compare Winegard to Tailgater before i buy?

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Well, I am one of those people. Stay still job finished.

Exactly what the first Escapees were doing. I have never had anything stolen in an RV park either, but we did once stay in a park where the office cautioned everyone that there had been a rash of thefts in the park caused by nearby residents visiting in the night. That was inside a large city and quite a few years ago. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've said it before, but in 76 years of camping/RV'ing, the only things I've had stolen were taken by little thieves wearing masks and big thieves wearing bearskin coats... :)

Dutch

We have a Tailgator and Roof mounted Winegard.  The Tailgator is for when there are too many trees for the roof top to get a single.  Never had an issue in 4 years of using it fulltime except when it has been blown over.  We have found that most of the parks that we stay at have little crime issue.  Most are either retiree's or workers with the weekenders showing up on the major holidays.  But we do our homework on where we stay as well..... We have pulled into a park , u-turned, and went right back out.....

As for the WifI Jetpack, our Verizon Jetpack is "Unlimited" to 15g, but our phones are the real unlimited, so when the jetpack maxes out, we Hotspot one of the phones and continue on.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Tks for all the input & replies!  Sprung for a Pathway X2 off Ebay. Yeah, using the data by phone would work, but we're into KISS. Cripes, I can't even get these new 110V plugs in the first try.