Tire treatment

Twotoes

I am sure this has been discussed before but I could not find anything. A friend of mine uses 303 on his entire rig. Sides, front and rear cap etc. He even uses it on his tires. Is 303 ok for tires? I have been told that some chemicals are not good on rubber. He does cover them when parked. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Do not use petroleum-based, silicone-based, or paint-type products. Personally  I use water N soap, which is the only products recommended by tire mfgrs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, Smitty77_7 said:

I wash with soap and water. Let dry, and then use 303 for my tires. It takes me 10-15 mins to apply, and buying it by the gallon makes it IMO, cheap to add the UV protectant... 

Best to all,

Smitty

Does that permit you to run the tires any longer than the maximum recommendation of 10 years?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Does that permit you to run the tires any longer than the maximum recommendation of 10 years?

NO, but it seems to help keep the tire cracking and checking under control.  And I run 6 years MAX...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 8/27/2019 at 9:31 PM, Twotoes said:

I am sure this has been discussed before but I could not find anything. A friend of mine uses 303 on his entire rig. Sides, front and rear cap etc. He even uses it on his tires. Is 303 ok for tires? I have been told that some chemicals are not good on rubber. He does cover them when parked. 

I use 303 on tires.  The only thing I will use on them. Great stuff!

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

NO, but it seems to help keep the tire cracking and checking under control.  And I run 6 years MAX...

I run the tires on our RVs for 7 years and do not use any kind of tire treatment, other than normal washing and tire covers when parked. I don't recall having seen any tire cracking in at least the last 20 years on any of our RVs. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

What brand tires do you run that are cracking that badly in only 6 yrs? Michelin seems to be the major offender.

26 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

What brand tires do you run that are cracking that badly in only 6 yrs? Michelin seems to be the major offender.

On boat trailers I ran Firestone Transforce LT's. They would start checking after 5-6 years.  It may have been the combination of salt water, hot tires-cold water, etc.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I also run my tires for 6-7 years, depending upon where we are when the DOT is coming up on my choice of changeover. We replaced our Michelin XZE*'s at a few months shy of 7 years of age. No checking or cracking. 

It's fine for people to not use 303, or use tire covers, or to not use tire covers... 

It's also fine to have owner's run with ties to age 10. And heck, I've been helping a friend hunt for a used RV. Have ran into two different owners, of lower milage DP's, that have OEM tires. One was a 2003, and the other a 2004... Now those people, IMO, are pushing the odds. And in a blowout situation, it's not always just the person that vehicle that is at risk. So personally, i disagree with running tires of insane age... 

Me? Again, my choice, I keep my PSI where they belong (Per four corner weights.), I use 303, and I replace at 6-7 years of age. I also run Centramtics on all positions, and still pay to have each wheel balanced too. 

That is my choice to do:)! 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!