PickUp Truck Toad

Without going into all the past 10 years of Dingy Towing guides, what is 4 down tow-able in the small pickup truck market?

I know the Chevy Colorado is in the 4wd platform.

But is a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan?, Ford Ranger? others?

So if you have one, or have had one or know of one, please post.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have a 2002 Ranger automatic and 4x4.  It is not 4-down towable.  I believe you need a neutral on the drive selector (the 2x or 4x4 hi/low selector), or a manual-shift transmission.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Toyota Tacomas require modifications to tow.

Nissan Frontiers manual transmission trucks are flat towable, but automatics are not.  I recently bought a used Frontier and love it, but I couldn't find a manual transmission anywhere around me to flat tow so I ended up with an automatic.

Ford Ranger manual transmissions are flat towable, I'm not sure about the autos.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

20 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

New Jeep Gladiator Pickup. One just came in the park behind a tag axle MH.

Out of the price range I think.

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Toyota Tacomas require modifications to tow.

Nissan Frontiers manual transmission trucks are flat towable, but automatics are not.  I recently bought a used Frontier and love it, but I couldn't find a manual transmission anywhere around me to flat tow so I ended up with an automatic.

Ford Ranger manual transmissions are flat towable, I'm not sure about the autos.

Thanks Chad, I'll pass it on.

6 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I have a 2002 Ranger automatic and 4x4.  It is not 4-down towable.  I believe you need a neutral on the drive selector (the 2x or 4x4 hi/low selector), or a manual-shift transmission.

Thanks!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Follow this link to Motorhome magazines towable guides by year: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Even if  your vehicle is not in the listings, it may be on the Remco list  of modifications:http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/RecommendedVehicles.php

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Follow this link to Motorhome magazines towable guides by year: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Even if  your vehicle is not in the listings, it may be on the Remco list  of modifications:http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/RecommendedVehicles.php

I've downloaded a bunch of those, but its a pain to search over and over.  I'd rather ask people what they have or have had that worked well for them.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

23 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I've downloaded a bunch of those, but its a pain to search over and over.  I'd rather ask people what they have or have had that worked well for them.

Yes these webpages can be tedious to read, however, are you wanting ease and convenience or accuracy? When you ask a person you receive their opinion and advice-with no guarantee they didn't forget something or simply not know the full details.

For example, there are many vehicles that may be towed 4-down, a percentage of those have a 65 MPH towing limit, some a distance limit without starting the engine, etc.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

For example, there are many vehicles that may be towed 4-down, a percentage of those have a 65 MPH towing limit, some a distance limit without starting the engine, etc.

If you overrun your distance limit, plan to call roadside service for a jump start. Don't ask me how I know that. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 hours ago, sandsys said:

If you overrun your distance limit, plan to call roadside service for a jump start. Don't ask me how I know that. :)

Linda

DP towing a 1500 Ram Hemi arrived at the park I'm at.  Needed a jump to unhook and drive to their site.  Owner said it was the second time that happened.  Not sure if it is a setup problem or if that truck has a towing distance limit.   

1 hour ago, DKRITTER said:

We tow my F150 4X4. The transfer case is electronically put into neutral and the transmission is left in neutral. We've had no issues with it.    

My '13 Chevy K1500 tows the same, except my AT is in park. I really like the deletion of the steering wheel lock, I may remove the key and lock doors.

21 hours ago, Twotoes said:

A friend of mine tows a Chevy P/U. I think it’s a 2018 1500. Not sure. 

6 hours ago, DKRITTER said:

We tow my F150 4X4. The transfer case is electronically put into neutral and the transmission is left in neutral. We've had no issues with it.    

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

My '13 Chevy K1500 tows the same, except my AT is in park. I really like the deletion of the steering wheel lock, I may remove the key and lock doors.

9 hours ago, remoandiris said:

DP towing a 1500 Ram Hemi arrived at the park I'm at.  Needed a jump to unhook and drive to their site.  Owner said it was the second time that happened.  Not sure if it is a setup problem or if that truck has a towing distance limit.   

I don't know if the guy I'm helping research this want's a full size truck, but it's nice to know that these can be toad 4-down.  The Chevy's I knew about, the Ford I did not!  The Dodge though... Can you order one with the Hellcat engine package?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins