Prioritizing (aka: where should the money go)?

TherapyBound

37 minutes ago, Bigthinkers said:

But could you boondock if you wanted to? Could you go without doing laundry for 5 or 6 days if you had to? A week? Two? People do it all the time, so I'm not sure what the issue is, though I'd quite like to know.

In our case we would need 2 more house batteries to pull it off . . . and, no, there's no room for them.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I didn't read all the posts. 

1. new batteries.

2. depending on how old the rv you buy, you may be looking at new tires.

3. EMS. Electrical Management System. Protects your rv from bad campground power.

4. Water filter and pressure regulator.

The list can go on, and on, and on.

Kim and Betsy

2017 F450 Lariat

2017 Arctic Fox 35-5Z

2 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

Our needs are different now, though, and time completely unplugged is important to us. Not every day, perhaps not even every month, but certainly as often as we decide to do it once we know what works best for us, and in theory for more than a day or two at a time. Time off the grid is an important part of what we want to do.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why I'm defending that choice. Plenty of people have washer/dryer, plenty of people boondock, and plenty of people boondock even though they own a washer/dryer. I'm confident I can work that one out. :)

The OP already knows they 'need' to be off the grid.  It's important to them.  I completely understand as that is how we felt before taking off for full-timing.  Some people really know what they need.

OP:  I think you'll do just fine out there.  You, alone, know what you can live with and what you can't.  You've proven you don't have to do laundry every day or two. You've gone long times without doing it.  You're experienced in that respect.  I would suggest that you pack more than your planned one week of clothes; especially underwear. :)  When the same people don't see you every day you can certainly go days wearing the same outer wear.  You don't need a new bath towel for every shower.  Each has their own. It's certainly reusable.

Again, you'll be o.k.!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

We desperately need some solitude. We also want the social nature of campgrounds. I could see doing a week (maybe!) in a campground and then at least a week dry camping. I could also see a combination such as a couple of nights in a campground and 10 days dry camping. Or, two weeks in a campground (though even typing that makes me shake a bit) and then time out in the quiet. 

Lots of RVers boondock until they need to do a dump and fill. Then they check into a campground for a night or two to do those chores and fill up their batteries and maybe use the campgrounds showers while there. They may also do laundry if the campground has those facilities but you, of course, will be using your own machines while using their sewer connection. Then they stock up on groceries and head back out into the boonies.

Another way to get peace while being social is to camp with Bob Well's group when not at the RTR. (The RTR has become a zoo you probably would not like except to go to their classes.) Bob and his friends don't camp particularly close to one another and they pretty much each stick to themselves other than group walks twice a day. You are not required to go on the walks. But, it's nice to have neighbors that will help you if you need them. Bob is the founder of cheaprvliving.com. Because most of them live in self-converted rigs, whenever I was leaving his camp I would fill any water containers anyone brought to me before I left since I knew I was going someplace I could fill my tank. There wasn't much else I could do for anyone but I could do that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Have you given thought to things that you may need to budget for when buying a used RV? I am thinking of things like tires(if they are over 5 years old), replacing of all fluids, with older RVs replacing all belts & hoses, and other things of that nature? Tires alone can easily run over $2000.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I can't speak for those who replied about "don't need solar, just run your generator". However it is very common to see posts in the forums like "my generator is very quiet, I can hardly hear it".  So they pull up and park 50-150 yards (sometimes 20-30 yards) away from someone already parked in a boondocking area and crank up their very quiet generator and go inside their RV.  Mean while we are sitting outside and can hear their generator from 200 yards away.  Granted it is not really loud but when you have parked in a quiet place, the last thing you want to hear is someone's generator, or in our case I don't want to hear my own generator.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

About laundry.  Since there is usually no need to put on fresh clothes every day, there is no pressing need to do laundry every week.  Generally doing laundry every 2 weeks works for us.  

About showers when boondocking.  Alternatives are "army showers".  Put some water in the bathroom sink, use a washcloth and soap to clean up, then rinse with clean water and a wash rag.  There are also nice large adult wipe disposable cloths.  These are sized about 15" square or a little larger.  Three or four of them do a great job of getting you clean.    There are also navy showers.  Get wet in the shower turn off the water, soap up, turn on the water and rinse off.  Do it quickly enough with low pressure and flow from the faucet and you can get by with 1.5 to 2.5 gallons of water.  Oxygenics shower head does a great job of making hard spray from low water pressure:  https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-White-Oxygenics-Shower/dp/B00F5MUB66/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf944QAWCNYxNVRe8mdwjQ5dioP8S8_KOpJLXU5U87ZJuPBjJZ7KNG-QaApSyEALw_wcB&hvadid=177776445260&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026829&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1698113504290984624&hvtargid=kwd-72054687144&hydadcr=1865_9900193&keywords=oxygenics+shower+head+for+rv&qid=1559302818&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

7 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I think you'll do just fine out there.  You, alone, know what you can live with and what you can't.  You've proven you don't have to do laundry every day or two. You've gone long times without doing it.  You're experienced in that respect.  I would suggest that you pack more than your planned one week of clothes; especially underwear.

Thank you, 2gypsies. I appreciate that. And yes, we do plan to take more than a weeks' worth. I only mentioned it to say that even if we only had a week's worth we wouldn't need to wash every other day. ;) 

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

Lots of RVers boondock until they need to do a dump and fill. Then they check into a campground for a night or two to do those chores and fill up their batteries and maybe use the campgrounds showers while there. They may also do laundry if the campground has those facilities but you, of course, will be using your own machines while using their sewer connection. Then they stock up on groceries and head back out into the boonies.

Yup. That's the (tentative) plan! :) I do have cheaprv bookmarked, but haven't yet looked into it much. Thank you for the recommendation!

57 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Have you given thought to things that you may need to budget for when buying a used RV? I am thinking of things like tires(if they are over 5 years old), replacing of all fluids, with older RVs replacing all belts & hoses, and other things of that nature? Tires alone can easily run over $2000.

Yes. In my original post I stated new tires were a given. Before any other purchases, we'll make sure the coach is fully up to date on everything it needs to run safely.

51 minutes ago, Al F said:

Granted it is not really loud but when you have parked in a quiet place, the last thing you want to hear is someone's generator, or in our case I don't want to hear my own generator.

Yup. My sentiments exactly. I don't mind when it's in a campground or other location with rules around generator use, but if I've found some gorgeous place along a quiet river, I don't want to hear mine or anyone else's, if possible. Isn't blissful solitude the reason you forgo the comforts of hookups in the first place? 

Navy showers, Army showers and Oxygenetics are all on my boondocking info list. :)

8 hours ago, nwtraveler said:

Ok, I didn't read all the posts. 

1. new batteries.

2. depending on how old the rv you buy, you may be looking at new tires.

3. EMS. Electrical Management System. Protects your rv from bad campground power.

4. Water filter and pressure regulator.

The list can go on, and on, and on.

The list DOES go on and on! :D Figuring it all out is fun and frustrating at the same time. 

Just now, SWharton said:

Do you have a TPMS system and surge protector on your list?

Yes. I have all the basics for safety and maintenance on my list. The things I mentioned here are more the negotiables. After all these replies, I think it's possible we may have lost sight of the fact that I did say some things were NOT negotiable, including new tires and a washer/dryer, but I didn't mention everything that's non-negotiable, simply to save time. These are more the "extras" I'm squirreling away funds for here and there, not the big things I've actively saved for.

Everyone can make suggestions but the bottom line is they will first have to find the rig that suits them and then decide what style of campers they will end up being.  Believe me that will be subject to change during the first year or so on the road in all likelihood.  

I have heard folks make claims before about hauling around 2 weeks worth of clothing or more.  I suspect these are RVers that do not have a w/d on board.  For us it would be hard to find room for all that extra clothing.  You have to remember that even though you may travel and attempt to stay in warmer climates you will still need different seasonal clothing.

As far as not taking showers daily, using baby wipes, or doing sponge bathing out of a sink while boondocking, my opinion on doing that is you might as well be serving time in a State prison or living under some bridge.  You can stretch 80 to 100 gallons of fresh water by simply having the correct shower head and turning it off and on while showering.  If taking a shower daily means we have to break camp and go fill up our tank every 5 or 6 days then so be it.  

Again, to each their own.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Washing and showering depend on your own body chemistry, the weather and location, clothing, etc.  Wife and I don't get smelly easily, so skipping 1-2 days of showers doesn't feel like prison (which is odd, because I think they shower daily).  Particularly in cool weather.  Jeans should never be washed daily or even weekly anyway, so there's one item that you can bring only a couple of.  T-shirts are mostly a one day thing.  Neither of play dress-up on trips so it's not like we're bringing dress shirts and dresses or anything like that.  Underwear needs daily rotation, but it's small.  It's also easily washed in a sink and hung over a door to dry, same with t-shirts.

Again, planning with variables based on your own expectations.

2 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I have heard folks make claims before about hauling around 2 weeks worth of clothing or more.  I suspect these are RVers that do not have a w/d on board.  For us it would be hard to find room for all that extra clothing.  You have to remember that even though you may travel and attempt to stay in warmer climates you will still need different seasonal clothing.

I know from your RV that you have huge closets, shelves, drawers. So what do you put in them that you couldn't put 2 weeks of clothing in them?  When we went full-timing we didn't have a storage unit so we left nothing behind.  We gave away a LOT of clothes but definitely took a lot along instead of tossing good ones.  Over the years if we bought a t-shirt, etc. we then tossed one. We didn't keep adding.

You definitely only need a pair or two of jeans and dress pants. The same for shorts.  You don't need 14 pr. of each. :) T-shirts can be folded and put on one of your big shelves. Perhaps a couple dressier casual shirts and a few long sleeve warmer shirts.  A good fleece jacket and do layering under it.

It can be done. Really! :)

Full-timed for 16 Years

Dress pants?  Who wears dress pants while RVing?  And why?

But yeah, shorts and jeans simply don't need washing all the time.  My brother carries a "bunny suit" mechanic's onesie in his rig, I should do that.  If you have to work on something, put that on, and none of your real clothes get dirty.  The mechanic suit lives in the basement.

3 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

Thank you, 2gypsies. I appreciate that. And yes, we do plan to take more than a weeks' worth. I only mentioned it to say that even if we only had a week's worth we wouldn't need to wash every other day. ;) 

Yup. That's the (tentative) plan! :) I do have cheaprv bookmarked, but haven't yet looked into it much. Thank you for the recommendation!

You misunderstood the comment about doing laundry every other day.   No one said you had to, just that the on board w/d are smaller so it is easy if you figure on doing a load every other day.   Yes, you can do them all in one day if you want.  Also, ppl with onboard w/d often carry less clothes with them because they have access and do a load (can set ours to come on at 5:00 am so that we have clean, warm, dry towels for morning shower) more frequently.    And lots of people manage to balance doing both things.   

I marvel at all of the people who never seem to get mud, grease, oil,  etc on their jeans while doing the routine maintenance jobs.  Make sure that you also 'practice' doing that with any rig you are serious about - - how easy/difficult is it to hook up,  to check fluids, to add fluids,  to dump, to refill batteries.  The battery maintenance mess is one of the reasons that we opted to install AGM batteries.  Yes, more expensive, but not having to grub around getting filthy has made life on the road as we age much more enjoyable.    No one ever takes about aging, but what you can do at 62 (when we retired)  and what you can do at 75 are MILES apart!   While we can still get everything done, it isn't as quick as it use to be - - we don't 'bound' up and down anymore.   So anything that makes it easier as you age is something to really consider going forward.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

25 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

No one ever takes about aging, but what you can do at 62 (when we retired)  and what you can do at 75 are MILES apart!   While we can still get everything done, it isn't as quick as it use to be - - we don't 'bound' up and down anymore.   So anything that makes it easier as you age is something to really consider going forward.    

This is definitely part of our thinking. We'll be 61 and 58 when we set off, and while we're still relatively fit, we do sit at a computer 12 hours a day (sometimes longer) for our work, so we're not as used to manual labor as we once were. That's going to be a learning curve, but a welcome one. Still, whatever we can do to keep it relatively easy will be good. We know it will be a MUCH more active life, and a less convenient one, than the one we have now. And we're eager for that!

For battery & other maintenance you can slip on a pair of coveralls or keep a separate pair of jeans/shirt just for that purpose.  Neither one needs washing all the time. 

Full-timed for 16 Years

We full timed in a truck camper.  Still managed to keep a month worth of clothing to avoid frequent laundromat stops.  30 days of clothing meant 30 pairs of socks, 30 underwear, 30 T shirts and some changes of pants and long sleeved shirts.  It sounds like a lot could be stored in a fairly small area.  We set out with only new clothing.  Later on I did save one set of old clothes for use when doing something especially dirty.  I always travel with one set of dress clothing: blue blazer, black leather shoes, black socks, a couple of dress shirts and a bright tie for happy events and another for unhappy events.

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I marvel at all of the people who never seem to get mud, grease, oil,  etc on their jeans while doing the routine maintenance jobs.  Make sure that you also 'practice' doing that with any rig you are serious about - - how easy/difficult is it to hook up,  to check fluids, to add fluids,  to dump, to refill batteries.

Those things I manage to do w/o getting my clothes dirty.   For the dirty jobs I carry a set of grubby work clothes that have paint and grease stains on them, as well as an old pair of tennis shoes.  I store those grubbies in the same area as my tools. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

8 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

The closet in my van was 24" wide. I had two weeks worth of clothing hanging or on the single shelf in it. And that included the layers required for cold weather. If you wash yourself and change your underwear daily then wear a shirt two days in a row and your pants four days before changing them it doesn't really take that many clothes. And, if you put a long sleeve shirt over a t-shirt then add a polar fleece and a windbreaker you only need to add a hat, gloves and wool socks to be ready for pretty much any cold weather. It's just part of learning to live with little to make boondocking easy.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van