Oil Change

Pete Kildow

Did the first oil change on the Kenworth. Pulled a oil Sample last fall, old oil tested good. But know its been in there a long time. 10 gallons of oil ( Tractor supply had Rotella T 59.99 5 gallon) 2 filters and way to long for this fluffy guy. Got it done,and not sure how a 225lb 6ft 1 guy fits between the steer tire, and steps. But I got under there. First filter went back on easy. Second one would not start! No matter what I did it was not going on. I was doing them outside the truck. Crawled under it and started right on.🤬

Those filter wrenches that takes a 1/2" Ratchet. Works wonders on filters. Tried used one I had for years, that was adjustable. No moving those 2 filters. Used that band clamp and it was easy as PIE. Ordered one for the oil filters 4 1/2" to 5 1/4". Then the 5 1/4" to 5 3/4" for the air dryer filter. Have every filter to replace all on the truck. Even the power steering filter. Not sure if its ever been changed out.

After getting the 5th wheel mounted. Will move on to changing out trans fluid. Then rear-end fluid, along with Pinion seal. Seen its damp, not much leakage. But if there's a drop there now. When the truck is ran it will leak more with my luck.

Brakes parts look good and have 75 to 100,000 miles life on the shoes. Brake pods look good on it also. Now air bags will replace both of those. They look good until you look close at the bottom mounting spot. And has a few cracks there.

Plans are to have the shop pull the oil pan. Check bearings and replace those. And if it looks like it needs anything else. Do it while they have it apart. Hope the Bull Gear was done. They had to replace a lot of the front of the engine. When it was swapped from DDEC-III to DDECIV. Will get it checked also. Then the old truck should be ready to enjoy for a while. It had 625,000 miles on it now.

1995 Kenworth T600 11.1 Detroit series 60, 10 speed and 2.93 gears.

event.png

I encourage anyone to do their own oil changes and grease jobs. Spend a little time just laying under there with a flashlight and looking at where everything is. And then next time, if you see something out of place, well time to get an expert involved. 

It is tough for lots of people to crawl under there, with all the side skirts etc. Driving the front tires up onto some kind of ramp arrangement with RR ties, or jacking it up and using some appropriate jack stands helps, but is some work. But that's why we all love HDT's isn't it?

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Crank your wheels one way or the other. Makes it easier to get in there. I also have ramps that are designed for a semi.. When I'm lazy I just drive it up on some double stacked 2X6 boards.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

GlennWest our county recycle building will take it. There heater runs on oil. Plus Walmart ( they sell it back to companys) will take back so much. If I buy the oil there they used to get the old back.

Then we have a local oil company, they will take every drop. As they recycle here also.

Quote from Walmarts site. ((

1. Haul away the drain pan. Dispose of used oil at your Walmart Auto Care Center or municipal waste site.

))

event.png

9 hours ago, beyerjf said:

I encourage anyone to do their own oil changes and grease jobs. Spend a little time just laying under there with a flashlight and looking at where everything is. And then next time, if you see something out of place, well time to get an expert involved. 

It is tough for lots of people to crawl under there, with all the side skirts etc. Driving the front tires up onto some kind of ramp arrangement with RR ties, or jacking it up and using some appropriate jack stands helps, but is some work. But that's why we all love HDT's isn't it?

I would not drive one, unless it had been inspected by me. Way to many years on the Road. And seen (like you I'm sure) What happens when a driver did not check the unit.

As for getting under the truck. Only way I can get under mine. I back it up on one of these. Blaylock American Metal EZ-100 Wheel Lock. 

event.png

1 hour ago, Pete Kildow said:

GlennWest our county recycle building will take it. There heater runs on oil. Plus Walmart ( they sell it back to companys) will take back so much. If I buy the oil there they used to get the old back.

Then we have a local oil company, they will take every drop. As they recycle here also.

Quote from Walmarts site. ((

1. Haul away the drain pan. Dispose of used oil at your Walmart Auto Care Center or municipal waste site.

))

Ok, wasn't aware Wall Mart recycled oil. Do believe I at the mercy of service areas though. Not many rv parks would let me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

or check with the local Farmer's co-op. They will usually take oil or tell you where to dispose of it. And as stated above, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto Parts, etc., usually take all the oil you want to give. 

It's where to store the oily 5 gal buckets and how to get the drain plug back in in time to not overflow the first bucket (need to get a fumoto valve), and getting the too full bucket out from under the truck without spilling it, and then lifting that bucket into the back of the truck without spilling it, and putting the lid on tight enough that it doesn't come off when I knock it over, etc. I'm just speculating, no actual experience--really, it's all fiction. BTW, three bags of cat litter will be needed to soak up the 5 gallons of oil--at least I've been told. :)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

10 hours ago, GlennWest said:

What you do with all that oil?

Next oil change, just stop in here.  Bring your oil, filters, and enough beer for both of us.  Disposal is free.:D

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

or check with the local Farmer's co-op. They will usually take oil or tell you where to dispose of it. And as stated above, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto Parts, etc., usually take all the oil you want to give. 

It's where to store the oily 5 gal buckets and how to get the drain plug back in in time to not overflow the first bucket (need to get a fumoto valve), and getting the too full bucket out from under the truck without spilling it, and then lifting that bucket into the back of the truck without spilling it, and putting the lid on tight enough that it doesn't come off when I knock it over, etc. I'm just speculating, no actual experience--really, it's all fiction. BTW, three bags of cat litter will be needed to soak up the 5 gallons of oil--at least I've been told. :)

My truck has the Fomoto valve. And works great, when I figured out how to use it. 😲

I think total with both filters, 2 5 gallon buckets of oil. I have $157.01 in my oil change. I did order $370.00 in filters when I got my oil filters. KENWORTH, 2 Kubota tractors, Chevy Kodiak and my Lawn mower.

event.png

For oil changes I use a plastic roll under the bed storage bin. It is light, has wheels, and will hold 15/20 gallons. It doesn't leak. Comes with a lid and I just put the old oil in 5gal buckets and take it to Advance. Used the same one for several years.  Pat

The Old Sailor

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Next oil change, just stop in here.  Bring your oil, filters, and enough beer for both of us.  Disposal is free.:D

Sounds great but no beer or any alcoholic drinks of any kind goes in this body.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived