How to remove over spray

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I know this is an off topic but there a good pool of brain power here. How can someone remove over spray off the painted surfaces on the wheels with out removing the original paint from the wheels ? I know acetone can remove paint but I think it is to strong for the original paint to stand up. I have no idea how long the over spray has been on the paint.

Any ideas,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

If wheels are painted then Im guessing they are steel.  Might consider cleaning well, sanding and then using something like Plastidip to restore them.  Can do it with a rattle can and looks pretty good when done.  Can also change colors now or later as it is a removable coating.

Marcel

I have used non-pumice hand cleaner.  M30 is the best but I can't find it anymore.  Gets it off my glasses, too.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Hi Everyone,

The wheels are aluminum. They are painted between the spokes. There are too many curved surfaces for me to wet sand safely.

Get the ideas coming,
Al

The aluminum wheels I've had are powder coated which if it is a good quality coating the Acetone will not affect.

Try some Acetone on a rag and rub along an edge of the painted surface.

A stronger thinner like Lacquer Thinner or Gun Wash may remove the over spray faster.

Thin Nitrile Gloves do not stand up to Acetone/Lacquer thinners but the orange/black (Marigold) rubber gloves do.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

What I have not read is what the overspray is.  If it is an oil base enamel like Rustoleum and is not over 30 days old regular mineral spirits should remove it.  If it is acrylic enamel like Krylon you are going to need acetone.  If it is urethane you probably won't get it off without ruining the wheel finish.  Please let us know what the overspray is and how old it is.  I do understand the wheels are powder coated.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

14 hours ago, RandyA said:

What I have not read is what the overspray is.  If it is an oil base enamel like Rustoleum and is not over 30 days old regular mineral spirits should remove it.  If it is acrylic enamel like Krylon you are going to need acetone.  If it is urethane you probably won't get it off without ruining the wheel finish.  Please let us know what the overspray is and how old it is.  I do understand the wheels are powder coated.

Hi Everyone,

I believe the over spray is automotive clear coat. I think it is older then 30 days. 

Al

36 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I believe the over spray is automotive clear coat. I think it is older then 30 days. 

Al

Try WD40 . Cheap , quick and you probably have a can just itching to have it button pressed . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

If it is automotive clear coat, and if it has been on there over 30 days, there is a good possibility that it isn't coming off without taking the existing paint as well. It will probably require sanding to remove it.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

Modern automotive clear coats are a catalyzed polyurethane.  Unlike clears of yesteryear that were acrylic enamels or acrylic lacquer, these clears are extremely resistant to solvents.  Like noted above sanding is probably your only option.  Not knowing exactly what you are dealing with, how much area is affected, or how thick the overspray is general directions would be to start wet sanding with #400 paper and finish with #2000 then a machine polish using a medium or fine cut compound.  It would probably be a good idea to take your wheels to a reputable paint and body shop, find someone in the shop that knows their paint/chemicals and slip them a Hamilton or Jackson to get a professional opinion.

Unfortunately, WD-40 is not a very strong solvent when it comes to removing paint.  It might help to remove paint on rubber seals by being absorbed by the rubber and causing the paint to release.  Good luck!

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

3 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Will WD40 remove the paint from rubber seals?

Brad

Not likely . I've never had it remove cured and clear coated paints . But , it does take any over spray from recent paintings off .

Why not just spray a bit on a rag and try it ? You'll see if anything more than you want is starting to come along . If it does , stop . 

And , what is paint doing on rubber seals anyway ? 

Hi Everyone,

I am not going to fool with the wheels no more. I think it is time for the professionals to set in. The reason why I am saying that is because I tried acetone on the polished aluminum part of the rim with no effect. Man has to no his limitations. 

Thank you everyone for your help,
Al

21 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am not going to fool with the wheels no more. I think it is time for the professionals to set in. The reason why I am saying that is because I tried acetone on the polished aluminum part of the rim with no effect. Man has to no his limitations. 

Thank you everyone for your help,
Al

How do you know your limitations ? You haven't tested them . LOL

18 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

How do you know your limitations ? You haven't tested them . LOL

Hi Pete,

With my luck I will remove the over spray and the black paint off the wheels. lol. I don't need any new projects.

Al

Archived