Volvo losing coolant out overflow, not overheating

PaHunter

We took a trip to Alabama and one the way down the Volvo was blowing water out the overflow but was not overheating. Checked oil cap, no white flakes, checked oil, no coolant in it.

Ideas ??

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

I was losing coolant at one time and it was hard to find because it only did it at about 1400 rpms. My 12 liter Volvo has a drain valve that looks like a faucet up high on the passenger side behind the turbo (that makes it hard to see). It has threads and the repair guy screwed a pipe plug into it and that stopped the leak. No problem in 8 years.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:44 PM, chief916 said:

did you shut off water to the bunk seein as how its summer?  

May I ask how this is done?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 6/1/2018 at 8:04 PM, PaHunter said:

We took a trip to Alabama and one the way down the Volvo was blowing water out the overflow but was not overheating. Checked oil cap, no white flakes, checked oil, no coolant in it.

Ideas ??

I would change the radatior cap, cheep and might just do the trick.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

10 hours ago, Parrformance said:

May I ask how this is done?

Leastwise...I have four water valves on my truck.....but it's a 1997 and I am able to shut all the water to the aft sleeper but there is a valve between the motor and the aft bunk area that I found was leaking quite substantially.  Once I shut the water valve off...I stopped losing coolant.  Found the valve that was leaking... passenger side over the right fuel tank....replaced it and problem solved.  Not sure if this applies to all Volvo's but it's just a swag....it worked on mine.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:15 PM, DesertMiner said:

How much coolant did you use?
Bad Coolant tank cap....
Air Compressor blow back....
EGR Coolant lines....
Head Gasket........

in 2000 miles of travel, just about 2 gallons. Most of it seemed to be splashed up on the inside of the hood, on the lower side of the heat pads when the hood is open. More was on the drivers side than passenger but was some on passenger side.

Temps outside going down 85 to 90, lost just over a gallon of fluid then.

Temps coming home, around 70 and raining, short of a gallon used to top off.

Both times, had display up, max temp showing in display, about 205, most of the time around 190.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

My Pete did that. If I filled it completely full it pushed out a good gallon or so. But then it was fine.  I would just add half a gallon or so once a week or so when I was running hard.  No leaks. I didn't know where it was going but I didn't really think too much of it. Until one day it just quit running. Turns out I had a cracked head. It was leaking coolant into the engine where it got burned and went out the exhaust. So If I filled the rad completely the cracked head let more pressure build in the system forcing out a gallon or so of coolant initially then it would start burning it. It never over heated on me.

Hopefully yours is not that major. With a cold engine start your truck and let it run for a 30 seconds. Take the rad cap off. If  you have pressure already that is a bad sign. That is what mine was doing.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Dont you have a hose that drains the coolant down low so it doesnt get on inside of hood? put a pressure gauge pn the tank and start it up. run at about 1500 rpms and watch the gauge.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived