Electric Volvo

Vegas Teacher

You mean "Coal Powered" Volvo.

I love all the talk of "zero emissions" on vehicles.  Where does the electricity come from?  The wall socket isn't magic, at least until we all have our own personal fusion reactors in the backyard shed...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Oddly enough, ships are now looking at biofuels for reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

i say odd, because farming also has greenhouse gas emissions, but the graphs being shown in industry rags all show biofuel as about a tenth of battery electric in ghg emissions.  as noted above, electricity does not just spring up out of the ground (except lightning) and is usually coal or gas powered. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

9 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

You mean "Coal Powered" Volvo.

I love all the talk of "zero emissions" on vehicles.  Where does the electricity come from?  The wall socket isn't magic, at least until we all have our own personal fusion reactors in the backyard shed...

http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Fusion

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

16 minutes ago, Exile said:

as noted above, electricity does not just spring up out of the ground (except lightning) 

Lightning springs UP out of the ground?? LOL  sorry Exile, I couldn't resist. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Not worth arguing about but the books I always read said lightning started in the clouds....something like this:

Lightning is a sudden electrostatic discharge that occurs typically during a thunderstorm. This discharge occurs between electrically charged regions of a cloud (called intra-cloud lightning or IC), between two clouds (CC lightning), or between a cloud and the ground (CG lightning).The charged regions in the atmosphere temporarily equalize themselves through this discharge referred to as a flash. A lightning flash can also be a strike if it involves an object on the ground.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Lightning jumps both ways but usually from the cloud down.  It depends on the electrical potential difference generated by the clouds moving over the earth, which one becomes more positive than the other.  Only time I saw lightning from the ground to the cloud was in Viet Nam,

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

6 hours ago, Big5er said:

Lightning springs UP out of the ground?? LOL  sorry Exile, I couldn't resist. 

Now Phil, there may be, in fact, some validity to this statement.......

You see, first the corn plant emerges from the ground and soaks in all the water and sunlight it can, to grow into a mature fruit bearing plant, which is harvested and turned into mash.

The mash is cooked In a still and turned into a liquid that can blow your socks off.....

Thus the lightning, does in fact, emanate or spring up, out of the ground..

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Aren't they electric garbage trucks that are charged every night off the landfill gas generators before the power is sold?  Makes sense if you own the landfill and also operate the garbage trucks.  Makes great sense for a guy if you private operate the garbage trucks and can convince the county greenies to give you their wholesale landfill power before it is sold too...

They've been trying a similar thing with a couple Near Zero CNG garbage truck fleets in the states.  But cleaning landfill gas to truck engine (and aftertreatment) use is not cheap and CNG truck engines are far from maintenance free.  Plus I think the NZ engines still put out more NOx than the landfill gas generators do.  Doing it electrically has got to be more efficient.  I don't know a whole lot about it, and it isn't my thing, but either way they need to buy a new truck to do it, so I'm good with it. 😉

Waste Industries operates one of the largest natural gas fleets in the US.  They trap methane from the landfills and use it to power their vehicles in many cities.

But how can it be Green and Clean if it's coming from a landfill?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

As Scrap pointed out, it's expensive to clean LFG  to burn in an engine. Lots of times, the gas recovered gas is sent to an incinerator, while the trucks run on gas from the grid.  Kinda like 3 card Monte.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Many years ago the NC State Agriculture dept installed covers over hog and chicken waste lagoons.  The filtered the raw methane off the ponds and use it to run Cat diesel generators that powered the farm operations.  The biggest issue was the corrosive nature of the gas.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I never thought about a live cattle ship powered by the methane generated by the cargo- that would be different.

i saw engines powered by rapeseed back in the 80s, maybe that will be the new renewable power.  Not sure if any power generation method is actaully ‘green’

maybe only lightning is ‘green’, but just when it comes from the ground.  😉  and maybe only when it’s white.

if i remember that national geographic article from 35 years ago, i believe that right before the lightning gets to the ground from above, that last little bit comes from the ground up.  which could explain why objects with a good ground get hit, otherwise, the bolts would come down randomly.  

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Archived